MERGED-->Coldplay Live-Please Post All Comments Here!! + live broadcast - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2002, 07:34 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Coldplay in Boston last night!!!

Was anyone else there last night ? What a GREAT show. I've been looking forward to this show for weeks now, and it surpassed my expectations. I never knew that Chris Martin had such a likeable stage presence (since I'd never seen them before). Telling jokes, laughing during many of the songs, just getting completely and totally into his performance. I just think it's great when a performer really seems like they're truly enjoying themselves...I've been too too many shows when people are out there acting like they're doing everyone a favor by singing. It was just beyond words!! They played a good size set too.... I think there were probably only a handful of songs that they didnt play from the 2 albums. I cant wait until they come back again!

Old 09-18-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:50 PM
I've been waiting on this tour....

sadly they're not coming anywhere near me ....

Old 09-18-2002, 10:24 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

That's so awesome She is Raging!! Now you've made me even more excited for the concert here next week, IF that's possible.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

we should make one "coldplay live" thread, hehe

Awesome, what song was that when you called me on your cell? lol

Old 09-18-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
Refugee

Re: we should make one "coldplay live" thread, hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Awesome, what song was that when you called me on your cell? lol

Check your email!! I have no clue because I didnt call you....lol I think my cell phone is possessed!!
Old 09-18-2002, 10:54 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: Re: we should make one "coldplay live" thread, hehe

Quote:
Originally posted by She ls Raging

Check your email!! I have no clue because I didnt call you....lol I think my cell phone is possessed!!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:01 AM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 02:50 AM
FleetBoston Pavilion, Section 1, Row HH, Seat 1.

Yeah, I was there.

Yeah, it was incredible.

I was actually going to do a new post, but considering this one is here already, I'll just put my thoughts down right now.

After seeing Coldplay live, and hearing all the jibber-jabber about how they're very similar to U2 etc., here my thoughts on why Coldplay will never be as big or popular as U2 unless they change some things.

1. The Piano Man. Sorry, doesn't work. I LOVE the piano as part of the performance, but it makes Chris Martin turn into Thom Yorke from Radiohead, hunched over the keys, unable to engage with the crowd. At least when he had a guitar he was hopping around. During the encore he did sing their new single (and I apologize, I have both albums and listen to them constantly, but in my car so I don't know the titles to any of their songs ) without a guitar or the piano, and it made such a difference. He actually was able to be a frontman and make that connection with the audience. He needs to do more of that, big time.

2. How Long Must We Sing This Song. This band is already in dangerous territory if it doesn't get another hit. Yellow is a good song, but considering the reaction it and the other songs from Parachutes got from the crowd compared to the new material, I think Coldplay is running the risk of being known for one song. There are a couple of songs from their new album that got real good reactions from the crowd that might result in more hits. We'll have to see. I don't listen to the radio, so what do I know?

3. Turn It Up! I know they're never going to be a heavy-hitting band. Chris actually mentioned this at one point, relating a story about how last time they were in Boston they were playing with Aerosmith and Korn and Stained and stuff and it was a very trying experiance. However, during the live performances, I think they need to take their heavier songs and really work on the endings. They always have these great jams, and then stick a mellow ending on. That's fine some of the time, but I think it turns into a letdown for the crowd sometimes.

4. Setlist. Politik is not a great opener. I think it belonged in the middle of the set, and maybe Rush of Blood to the Head used as the opener, although I thought they could've made it harder hitting. This song has so much potential live IMO. Yellow was in the wrong place. Put it as the last song of the main set, or in the encore. If that's what the audiance wants, make 'em wait and put their energy into the entire show. I thought that a good number of fans seemed to check out after Yellow. Maybe it was just my section.

I know it seems that I'm really critical of the band. I'm not. I just think that if they're going to attain the kind of level that U2 has attained, then they need to fine-tune their live approach. But then again, they've only put out two albums. As long as they don't fall apart (which is aparently a hazard according to a Q interview with them) and don't become known only for Yellow, they should do alright.

Anyway, great show last night. Will definately continue to follow this band and see what they do in years to come.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:10 PM   #8
Elvis' Naughty Angel

What was the setlist? Did they actually play "A Rush of Blood to the Head"?

As for the piano man comment, I really couldn't disagree more. I enjoy Chris at the piano... he gets so emotional. That being said I also love him jumping around on stage, but I think they have a fine balance in their show.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

*holds back jealousy*

i am glad you were able to see them and it was awesome. i can't wait for them to come back to Atlanta.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
What was the setlist? Did they actually play "A Rush of Blood to the Head"?

As for the piano man comment, I really couldn't disagree more. I enjoy Chris at the piano... he gets so emotional. That being said I also love him jumping around on stage, but I think they have a fine balance in their show.
I havent got a copy of the actual setlist... but they did do a Rush of Blood to the Head! And I agree with you Angel about him being at the piano - that was part of what I found so entertaining...I loved the way he literally got into the music, whether he was playing an instrument or just dancing etc...he really seemed to be feeding off the crowd.

And just in response to the thing about the Aerosmith comment - it was basically Chris saying that last time they were in Boston, they opened for Aerosmith and were not very well recieved by the crowd ,as they were used to having hard rock bands as openers (like Korn or stained)... and he said that there is no way they ever would or will be considered a heavy rock band! Which is fine with me... too many of those type of bands out right now. IMO - they dont need to change their sound at all - they have the fan base to prove that!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:13 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Their not just known for YELLOW outside the USA. When I first heard them in Scotland, the big song there was DON'T PANIC. My friend in Italy says TROUBLE is huge there. The first album which was released less than two years ago has sold over 5 million copies worldwide! The new album debuted in the top 5 of nearly every album chart on the planet when the album was released. Coldplay is way ahead of where U2 was in 1982(2 years after the Boy release) in terms of the business. Of course no one knows what the future holds. But jeez, this band has not been out for even 2 years yet. Give them some time and a few more albums at least.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #12
Acrobat

Anyone with an extra pair of tix for Coldplay's Toronto show??? I would love to go but my tix fell through. Long story...

If you can help me out, e-mail me.

pop_mofo@hotmail.com

Peace.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #13
New Yorker

this sounds so good. A bunch of us U2NYCers are going to the show here tonight. I can't wait.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:55 AM   #14
Acrobat

Just got back from seeing them at Jones Beach (NY). Incredible show, they rocked on Shiver. Seems like they livened things up a bit on the material from Parachutes. In my place was beautiful. It was quite funny when Chris strarting taking shots at 'NSYNC. He even sang a little "bye, bye, bye." If this band can stick around, they could be huge. My only complaint (well, it's not really a complaint), they lack a little diversity. Too many songs sound similar. I realize this a problem with all new bands, I'm just looking forward to hearing them in 5-10 years when they've matured. Great show!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:24 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa
Incredible show, they rocked on Shiver.
Gosh, that song rocks live!