Mama's got a squeeze box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:

Pfft. You wish.

Zeppelin didn't piss away their career with several sub-par records, now did they? :wink:

Better singer - Plant
Better guitarist - Page (by miles and miles and miles and miles and miles :wink: )
I'd say the rhythm sections are about tied. Maybe the Who's was a bit better.

When it comes down to albums though, what does the Who have? Who Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia (Tommy is horribly overrated, but it's still considered a classic :rolleyes: ) What does Zeppelin have? I through IV, Houses of The Holy, and Physical Graffiti. Yeah. Zeppelin wins.

LemonMelon said:

Better guitarist - Page (by miles and miles and miles and miles and miles :wink: )

I'd have to disagree with you there. Sure Page could probably out-riff Townshend, but ole Pete is one of the mosy ingenuitive and unique guitar players to ever live. He's also a much much better songwriter than anyone in LZ, and The Who has the benefit of a deeper listening experience in a lot of their albums.

Now, note that I never said Led Zeppelin WEREN'T a better band. I actually can't decide which is "better". But there's no way that LZ is even close to being "10x better". Nah-uh.

LemonMacPhisto said:

When's that coming out? After the biopic craze is over I bet.

I think Myers will do a good job.

He should be great. Apparently, he's been playing drums since he was a kid. Townshend and Daltrey are involved in the production. It's set for release in 2009, after he wraps up work on a hockey movie...priorities :wink:

Lancemc said:

I'd have to disagree with you there. Sure Page could probably out-riff Townshend, but ole Pete is one of the mosy ingenuitive and unique guitar players to ever live. He's also a much much better songwriter than anyone in LZ, and The Who has the benefit of a deeper listening experience in a lot of their albums.

Now, note that I never said Led Zeppelin WEREN'T a better band. I actually can't decide which is "better". But there's no way that LZ is even close to being "10x better". Nah-uh.

I must admit, I really like Pete's guitar playing. A lot. He's great, and his acoustic work has probably had more influence on me than any other guitarists' unplugged efforts. However, Page is my favorite guitarist of all time. He is at least 10x the lead guitarist Townshend was, though, as a songwriter, I must say Pete was excellent.

Really though, Zep's body of work wins out for me.

I disagree. The Who are indeed great, but at the same time made some mediocre albums, whereas Zeppelin's catalog is much stronger overall.

Don't get me wrong, I really like both. And if I had to choose one album, I'd probably choose Who's Next, but if I had to choose an entire career, I'd choose Zeppelin.

Lancemc said:

[Townshend is] also a much much better songwriter than anyone in LZ, and The Who has the benefit of a deeper listening experience in a lot of their albums.

Pete really is a phenomenal songwriter, although I am not sure if he is stronger than the Page/Plant combination. In terms of subject matter and style, the two bands were vastly different, Pete's writing being technical and socially analytical, while Zeppelin was improvisational, concerning itself primarily with mysticism and raw sexuality. Zeppelin could never have made Quadrophenia, while The Who could never made Zeppelin IV; both, however, are incredible masterpieces. In short, the better band seems impossible to determine.

cdisantis83 said:

Pete really is a phenomenal songwriter, although I am not sure if he is stronger than the Page/Plant combination. In terms of subject matter and style, the two bands were vastly different, Pete's writing being technical and socially analytical, while Zeppelin was improvisational, concerning itself primarily with mysticism and raw sexuality. Zeppelin could never have made Quadrophenia, while The Who could never made Zeppelin IV; both, however, are incredible masterpieces. In short, the better band seems impossible to determine.

He speaks the truth :up:

It's really like comparing the Beatles and the Stones. To quote Michael Scott, it's really uncalculable.

LemonMelon said:

When it comes down to albums though, what does the Who have? Who Sell Out, Tommy, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia (Tommy is horribly overrated, but it's still considered a classic :rolleyes: ) What does Zeppelin have? I through IV, Houses of The Holy, and Physical Graffiti. Yeah. Zeppelin wins.

Allow me to preface this by saying that I believe Zeppelin to have the greatest catalogue of any band in rock history. Having said that, they also existed for a relatively short amount of time, and two of the members were already seasoned musicians when they entered the band. The Who was active roughly twice as long (excluding Endless Wire), and created a string of incredible albums between 67 and 75. Face Dances and It's Hard tarnish their discography, and each deserves its negative reputation, but it is also likely that, had Zeppelin continued for another decade, they would have eventually made a few sub-par albums. As evidence of this, I offer the Page and Plant combination Walking into Clarkesdale, which really failed to live up to the incredible quality of their Zeppelin albums. I suppose that the point I wish to make is that The Who cannot be deemed the inferior band based on a higher proportion of disappointing albums.

Face Dances and It's Hard were also post-Moon, Zeppelin were equally as bad at Live Aid without John Bonham.

Zak Starkey did a good job in Endless Wire, but he's still a Moon-lite.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Face Dances and It's Hard were also post-Moon, Zeppelin were equally as bad at Live Aid without John Bonham.

Yeah, and Pete was in the worst stage of his heroin usage. It is strange how much better his solo album Empty Glass is than either FD or IH, considering that it was released during that same time frame.

Code:
     |E         D D  |A       E E   |
Got a feeling inside (Can't explain)
It's a certain kind (Can't explain)
I feel hot and cold (Can't explain)
     |E          D  D       |B       E E   |
Yeah, down in my soul, yeah (Can't explain)

|E  D D |A       E E   |
I said...      (Can't explain)
I'm feeling good now, yeah, but (Can't explain)

Dizzy in the head and I'm feeling blue
The things you've said, well, maybe they're true
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
 |E            D     |B        |
I know what it means, but...

[chorus]
|E               |C#m             
 Can't explain, I think it's love
      |A         Asus4 A   |B       Bsus4 B
Try to say it to you   when I feel blue, but I
      [optional riff from 12-string]
      |--------------------|-----------------|
      |5---5--5-5-5-5------|7-7-7-7-7-7------|
      |6---6--6-6-7-6------|8-8-8-8-9-8------|
      |7---7--7-7-7-7-7-7--|9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9--|

|E       D D   |A       E E      |
But I can't explain (Can't explain)
Yeah, you hear what I'm saying, girl (Can't explain)

[first solo; from stage versions]
|E      D     |A       E        |E      D          |A        E    |
|-----4-2-----|-----------------|------------------|--------------|
|-----0-------|-----------------|------------------|--------------|
|2-/4----1^---|-----------------|------------------|--------------|
|-----------0h|2--2p0--0----0-0h|2-0h2--2p0-0------|--------------|
|-------------|------2----------|----------2-2-0-0-|--------------|
|-------------|-----------------|---------------3--|3^-0-3^--0\/--|
                                                \/ bend neck forward
                                                  while pushing back
                                                   on body of guitar

Dizzy in the head and I'm feeling bad
The things you said have got me real mad
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means but...

[repeat chorus]

Can't explain
I think it's love
Try to say it to you
When I feel blue

But I can't explain (Can't explain)
Just give me one more time now, yeah (Can't explain)

[second solo; from stage versions]
|E       D       |A         E                    |
|-----16-14~-----|-------------------------------|
|--------15------|-------------------------------|
|14-/16-------12h|14-12^-------------------------|
|----------------|------14--12h14-12h14-12h14-12h|
|-----------0----|-------------------------------|
|----------------|-------------------------------|

|E        D                 |A     E     |
|---------------------------|------------|
|14-12--12~-----------------|----5-7--5~-|
|-----14----14-12-10-12-----|5-7---------|
|-----------------------12\-|------------|

|E     D     |A       E   |E     D      |A         E  |
|---------2--|--------0---|----0-----0--|0-0-0-0------|
|---------3--|-2h3p2------|---0-----0---|0-0-0-0------|
|--1------2--|-2----2---1-|-------------|-------------|
|--2---0--0--|------------|-------------|----0/0/0-2--|
|--2---------|0-----------|/4----/5----/|7-7-5/5/5-2--|
|0-----------|-------0----|-------------|----------0--|

I said I can't explain, yeah
You drive me outta my mind
Yeah, I'm the worrying kind, babe
        |A     A E
I said I can't explain

Let me just also say that The Who never wrote a song on the same plane of sucktitude as "All Of My Love". :yuck:

Lancemc said:
Let me just also say that The Who never wrote a song on the same plane of sucktitude as "All Of My Love". :yuck:
Generally when bands discover production values only to be revealed in the future 80s decade it's not a good idea.

Lancemc said:

but did they write anything as good as Achilles last stand or Kashmir ? :hmm:

NO.

imo bitches :|

xaviMF22 said:

but did they write anything as good as Achilles last stand or Kashmir ? :hmm:

NO.

imo bitches :|
Meh The Who have recorded worse than All of My Love.

"Water" off the expanded Who's Next is horrible.

Also, Zeppelin overall > The Who.
Listen to Whole Lotta Love live from Knebworth - 1979 in all its glory.

Maybe. But Water doesn't get heavy radio play like All Of My Love. :yuck: I can't even say the name without throwing up a little.

And since it was brought up, Baba O'Riley craps all over Achilles' Last Stand. Although Kashmir is a pretty even match.

Lancemc said:

:|

All Of My Love is a great song. The middle section with the synths sounds a bit dated but that was an idiosyncracy of the era it was written in. The rest of the song is great. And it's better than Boris The Spider.

I like to listen to Pete Townsend talk, he's an interesting fella, but I can't listen to any of his music, with or without The Who - other than Baba O'Reilly, that's a classic.

And Roger Daltry is just so goddamn goofy.

I dreamed the other night Roger Daltrey was in my basement, and he told me it was being haunted by Keith and John. I have no idea where this came from and how it got into my head. but yeah I'm a big fan.

1stepcloser said:

:|

All Of My Love is a great song. The middle section with the synths sounds a bit dated but that was an idiosyncracy of the era it was written in. The rest of the song is great. And it's better than Boris The Spider.

It has a really strong Page solo for sure. I wouldn't say it's a great song, but it is better than many of the Who's throwaways.

BTW, to answer a previous question, The Beatles were a million times better than The Stones. One changed the face of music entirely, the other just made it a little better. It's not even worth comparing.

Back
Top Bottom