Make Fun of Commercials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Head On one makes me laugh. It's so strange.

HEAD ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!

Why three times? Why?

Anyway, the one that really annoys me at the moment is some sort of Club House sloppy joes one. The stupid bitch who is posing as the mother says "toast or buns?" and her devil children giggle like little girls, causing the aforementioned bitch to act even stupider. Then the one idiot boy (who deserves a slow and painful death, by the way) says "MOM, YOU SAID BUNS!" at which point he and his brother erupt into more girly giggles.

I have to change the channel every time it comes on. It always comes on too, which makes it so frustrating. Are all North American adverts this mundane? The absolute WORST have to come from those stupid American technical colleges. You know, the kind where you have to wonder if the actors have had any experience in acting whatsoever.

There's also an incredibly stupid advert that is unique to Newfoundland:

CENTRAL TRAINING - ACADEMY! - PUT YOUR MIND IN MOTION!

diediediediediediediedie

And let's not even get into NTV. Newfoundland's main TV channel. Watch this. You have to see it to believe it. This often used to come on really early in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOPb_HtTxE

EDIT: Bugger. They didn't include the full thing. You don't get to hear the AWFUL rendition of O Canada.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
[...]
There's also an incredibly stupid advert that is unique to Newfoundland:

CENTRAL TRAINING - ACADEMY! - PUT YOUR MIND IN MOTION!

diediediediediediediedie

And let's not even get into NTV. Newfoundland's main TV channel. Watch this. You have to see it to believe it. This often comes on really early in the morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOPb_HtTxE

I've never seen the sloppy joes ad you mentioned, but holy shit... that NTV ad was hilarious! Those CGI dolphins :love:

GibsonGirl said:
EDIT: Bugger. They didn't include the full thing. You don't get to hear the AWFUL rendition of O Canada.

:( :( :(

Queen Bee said:

I've never seen the sloppy joes ad you mentioned, but holy shit... that NTV ad was hilarious! Those CGI dolphins :love:

Watch this one until the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2GkxyleZBo

I've never seen this one before. I don't think they show these anymore. Last time I saw that hideous Captain Canada one was ages ago. Someone told me they saw it recently, but I hear now that it's not true. Whatever. NTV is still fucking crazy.

I wish someone had clips up of Toni-Marie Wiseman screwing up the weather. :yuck:

GibsonGirl said:

Watch this one until the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2GkxyleZBo

I've never seen this one before. I don't think they show these anymore. Last time I saw that hideous Captain Canada one was ages ago. Someone told me they saw it recently, but I hear now that it's not true. Whatever. NTV is still fucking crazy.

I wish someone had clips up of Toni-Marie Wiseman screwing up the weather. :yuck:

Eerie music aside, I thought that was one pretty good. Outer space :drool:

Captain Canada looks like the child of a Power Ranger and The Rocketeer :love:

Queen Bee said:

Eerie music aside, I thought that was one pretty good. Outer space :drool:

Captain Canada looks like the child of a Power Ranger and The Rocketeer :love:

But see, the irony is, NTV is/was using these high tech adverts to promote Newfoundland and its television station, and Newfoundland is about as technologically advanced as an outhouse! :lol:

Still, NTV itself is pretty hilarious. Just look at the website: http://www.ntv.ca/default2.php

Oh yeah! Look at those pulsating NTV logos!

:love:

Man, the next time I go to the ghetto cinema I'll have to record some of the ridiculous commercials with broken English for you.

Does anyone else watch VH1 early in the morning and get those XANTRAX 3!!!!!!!!!1 commercials? They play them THREE TIMES IN A ROW. And they are loooooooud too. Nice early morning wake up. :mad:

GibsonGirl said:

Last time I saw that hideous Captain Canada one was ages ago. Someone told me they saw it recently, but I hear now that it's not true.

It was on last night :yikes:

Um, I was changing channels...in my very advanced outhouse. :wink:

A current commercial here in Canada really irks me - it's one for french fries that's slyly masqueraded as a message of health. It starts out with a mother getting her kids ready for the day; she puts little bags of frozen carrots in their lunches, and I think in her purse. This is followed by a close-up of the inside of the fridge, where we are then presented with more carrots and peas. When she's done talking about all the vitamins the family are eating, she rapidly changes course and starts talking about how "french fries, in moderation, are also part of a well-balanced diet." :huh:

angelordevil said:

It was on last night :yikes:

Um, I was changing channels...in my very advanced outhouse. :wink:

A current commercial here in Canada really irks me - it's one for french fries that's slyly masqueraded as a message of health. It starts out with a mother getting her kids ready for the day; she puts little bags of frozen carrots in their lunches, and I think in her purse. This is followed by a close-up of the inside of the fridge, where we are then presented with more carrots and peas. When she's done talking about all the vitamins the family are eating, she rapidly changes course and starts talking about how "french fries, in moderation, are also part of a well-balanced diet." :huh:

:lol:

Gotta love NTV. It's so bad and utterly insane that it's almost good. Kind of like a cult classic movie.

My outhouse isn't very advanced at the moment. :( The microwave stopped working and, lord t'underin jaysus, the local Canadian Tire doesn't keep any microwaves in stock. But we can order one that will arrive in a month!

I know which ad you're talking about. It's for McCains isn't it? Either way, the woman doing the acting comes across as being a little psychotic and forceful. Like a super mom. And the message itself makes no sense! Even with moderation, fries are still bad.

I just remembered another ad that drives me up the wall. It's for StarChoice satellites. That Jenny and...whoever her little sidekick is. The "I'm on TV" segment when they show pictures of the two of them being stupid. Every time I'm exposed to their horrendous acting, I get the overwhelming urge to pull the plug on my cable.

trevster2k said:
For some reason here in Canada, the actors in commercials appear in about 5 different product commercials all at once.

I think the casting directors must just pick one person and use them until they get tired of them. Remember the Listerine, Halls, Doritos and Molson Ex dude. He had 4 commercials all on at the same time.

I seem to notice the same people appearing over and over again in a short period of time.

This dude lives down the street from me, I saw him in a Car Rental place one day and said "Let's get NAKED!" (from the Tostitos comercial)... I think I frightened him.

:|

Anyway, the one that really annoys me at the moment is some sort of Club House sloppy joes one. The stupid bitch who is posing as the mother says "toast or buns?" and her devil children giggle like little girls, causing the aforementioned bitch to act even stupider. Then the one idiot boy (who deserves a slow and painful death, by the way) says "MOM, YOU SAID BUNS!" at which point he and his brother erupt into more girly giggles.

I have to change the channel every time it comes on. It always comes on too, which makes it so frustrating. Are all North American adverts this mundane? The absolute WORST have to come from those stupid American technical colleges. You know, the kind where you have to wonder if the actors have had any experience in acting whatsoever.

LOL! BUNS!!! I dispise that comercial... Do you rember the Club House comercial for those Pasta Sauce things with the Grandfather telling his Grandson about "You Know..." Creepy, very creepy...

The technical college ones are awful as well, they seem to be worse in the US during the day. When I watch Maury Povich (You are NOT the father!) it's nothing but technicall colleges and law firms...

Sorry about the double post BTW...

elevated_u2_fan said:

LOL! BUNS!!! I dispise that comercial... Do you rember the Club House comercial for those Pasta Sauce things with the Grandfather telling his Grandson about "You Know..." Creepy, very creepy...

The technical college ones are awful as well, they seem to be worse in the US during the day. When I watch Maury Povich (You are NOT the father!) it's nothing but technicall colleges and law firms...

Haha, no, I don't remember that one. Is it very old? I've only been in Canada since 2001, so if it came out before then I would have missed it. Or maybe not, seeing as they seem to rotate adverts on a yearly basis in these parts. :hmm:

The law firms! The greatest will always be Sam Bernstein's lisping son.

"Here at the law offitheth of Tham Bernthtein, we'll do the betht for you."

That one commercial for McCain's that used to run when I was a kid was Marie Antoinette eating Deep & Delicious chocolate cake.

They still run it occasionally :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Gotta love NTV. It's so bad and utterly insane that it's almost good. Kind of like a cult classic movie.

My outhouse isn't very advanced at the moment. :( The microwave stopped working and, lord t'underin jaysus, the local Canadian Tire doesn't keep any microwaves in stock. But we can order one that will arrive in a month!

I know which ad you're talking about. It's for McCains isn't it? Either way, the woman doing the acting comes across as being a little psychotic and forceful. Like a super mom. And the message itself makes no sense! Even with moderation, fries are still bad.

I just remembered another ad that drives me up the wall. It's for StarChoice satellites. That Jenny and...whoever her little sidekick is. The "I'm on TV" segment when they show pictures of the two of them being stupid. Every time I'm exposed to their horrendous acting, I get the overwhelming urge to pull the plug on my cable.

I'll say this for NTV, when you come across it on satellite, you definitely know what station it is. I mean what other self-respecting network in North America uses computer graphics from 1988 which 13yr olds could come up with. And their incredible on-air talent just makes me wonder why no one has snapped up Lynn Burry and Toni-Marie for a national network job. Do you think Lloyd Robertson is worried? How much money does Stirling have anyway, most of the time there aren't any commercials just music videos of artists I have never heard of.

Regarding that mom commercial who seems to be talking to someone just off to the side and not the camera, I can't wait for a This Hour has 22 Minutes spoof of it, the kid will be like " Dad, mom is talking to the walls again, jeez, mom, who the hell are you talking too?"

I saw one of the dumbest commercials ever this morning. Was for a new low dosage birth control pill. So anyway it's a group of girls out at a club or whatever and one mentions this new pill she's on. The next thing you know one of her other friends starts rattling off all of the info about the pill like it's a normal conversation. Turns out that she is supposed to be a doctor. To make it worse the one who originally started the conversation sits there like she's just soooooo impressed by it all. One of the dumbest commercials I have seen in awhile.

GibsonGirl said:

It's like a train wreck! You can't help but watch, even when you know it's bad. Personally, I love the "This Day in History" segment with Jim Furlong. One can never get enough old black & white footage of military parades and burning buildings in St. John's :drool:

I probably have latent anger when it comes to NTV. Both of my parents work for the CBC, and NTV constantly pummels it when it comes to viewership in the province :sad: :sad: :sad:

How about the Subway Lobster Sub commercial? That's horrible! I can't remember any of the dialogue right now, but the 'sandwich artist' server guy really bugs me with his grating voice and his wearing of a lobster on the back of his shirt. I think the message is that the sub is actually made of real lobster. Nothing worse than a fake lobster sub.

There are two that currently are in danger of making me find a bell tower & start taking pot shots :angry: - and not because they're annoying so much as the frickin' frequency at which they're replayed.

So help me, in an hour's worth of cable viewing one night last week, EVERY time the show cut to commercial - and that was about every 12 minutes - I had to be subjected to hearing about Quizno's new smokehouse oven-roasted applewood cheddar BBQ roast beef fuckin' sandwich. Some commercial breaks, it even aired twice! And when they weren't force-feeding me some nasty looking heart attack on a bun, I was having to watch Bacardi's damn Mojito booty-fest. And even changing the channel didn't help.... I know because I tried. Twice. :madspit:

I don't mind watching commercials, but dammit that's just ridiculous!

BonosBaby12 said:
I saw one of the dumbest commercials ever this morning. Was for a new low dosage birth control pill. So anyway it's a group of girls out at a club or whatever and one mentions this new pill she's on. The next thing you know one of her other friends starts rattling off all of the info about the pill like it's a normal conversation. Turns out that she is supposed to be a doctor. To make it worse the one who originally started the conversation sits there like she's just soooooo impressed by it all. One of the dumbest commercials I have seen in awhile.

I've seen this one a few times and it made me think of this thread. Quite honestly, the whole rash of pharmaceutical commercials are over the limit, imho. :no:

sulawesigirl4 said:

I've seen this one a few times and it made me think of this thread. Quite honestly, the whole rash of pharmaceutical commercials are over the limit, imho. :no:

Oh thank you Im not the only one who feels the way about this one :bow: And I agree these pharmaceutical ones have just gone too far :tsk:

Georgia Medical Institute. They just showed THE worst advert currently on television today. Oh, it was so bad. I felt like crying. The acting!

EDIT: And yes, there really are too many medicine advertisements. The one for Dulcolax stool softener always comes on before supper. :sad: "Dulcolax doesn't MAKE you go. It makes it more comfortable to go!"

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
"Dulcolax doesn't MAKE you go. It makes it more comfortable to go!"
Go where?
grumpyscratch.gif

bono_212 said:
I don't think I can take seeing that domino's brownie bites commercial one mkore time :no:

What about the one that advertises their ribs. With all the cars flipping on their sides like in the Flinestones...stupid, stupid, stupid

I'm getting tired of those Geico commercials where they have the "real person" and the celebrity. They were funny at first, but now they're getting annoying.
Although there are some days where I really like them...

That is the one that's making me sick of them. He's too wacky.
I prefer the talking gecko

Last edited:
bono_212 said:
I don't think I can take seeing that domino's brownie bites commercial one mkore time :no:

I was just thinking about that one! It's pretty nasty, eh?:barf:

Back
Top Bottom