Mad Men II: A Man For All Seasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he's so bad. Awkward and slightly creepy? Sounds about right for an awkward and slightly creepy teen, both the actor and the character.

I get that he's supposed to be creepy, every other season I thought he was. But last night just seemed like bad acting to me. Maybe because he was older and had a mustache :wink: I think it also suffers when compared to the girl who plays Sally.

I'm going to open myself up to likely deserved public shame and ridicule, but I find Kiernan Shipka wildly overrated.

I mean, she's fine, but she comes off like a regular child actor to me. Nothing terrible but nothing special. I'm sure she's a lovely young lady and I wish her well, but I don't get all the raves.

Hate away.

I think she gets great performances out of January Jones. That counts for something.

Also, I refuse to go into the BB thread for fear of spoilers, but I decided not to wait on Netflix and ordered the Blu-Ray off Amazon today.

Now I know what I'll be doing next week when Memphis is out of town.

Trembling with fear and wringingy hands with anxiety.

Poor Lane.

I agree with Irvine regarding Kiernan Shipka. No hate here!

No Peggy at all, and no sign of her in the previews of the finale. I guess this means we have to wait till next year for her story line to continue?

-Betty was bitchy for the sake of being bitchy. OK.
-What does Don do now? Seems rather pointless to hide what happened, but I get the idea that he will, because that's what he does.
-The Jaguar not starting was so obvious that it amused me greatly.
-Glen is still creepy, and his acting took me out of the show slightly, especially I WANT MY BAG DAMMIT WHY!!!
-The bit with Glen and Don in the elevator was painfully on-the-nose. Poor writing there. Yeah, we get what the theme of the entire SHOW is, Glen. Thanks.
-The episode felt unusually haphazard until that really poorly built bridge between the two main plots; I have no idea what Sally becoming a woman, Lane killing himself and Don feeling insecure about SCDP have to do with one another. Usually, Mad Men is excellent at finding common themes among wildly disparate plots. This week, not so much.
-The Lovin' Spoonful ball so damn hard.

I hope the finale is better.

Lane Pryce, you beautiful son of a bitch. I will miss you.

This season has been so damn good. And it's gone by so quickly. Damn. Apparently, the title of the season finale is "The Phantom." I like it. Dark. Ominous. I wonder if Billy Zane will be involved.

Next week on Mad Men:

-Don Draper makes a remark that causes him to laugh to himself.
-Megan struggles with a perplexing sheet of paper.
-Joan admits to a truth, of a nature. Possibly.
-Something involving Pete Campbell.
-Not Peggy.

Whatever the best episode of Mad Men is better watch the fuck out.

Lane Pryce, you beautiful son of a bitch. I will miss you.

This season has been so damn good. And it's gone by so quickly. Damn. Apparently, the title of the season finale is "The Phantom." I like it. Dark. Ominous. I wonder if Billy Zane will be involved.

i'd say it involves the ghost of Lane, I suspect he did more on that typewriter than write a boiler plate resignation.

Hey guys.

Just watched everything I missed while I was on vacation, which is basically everything after the season premiere.

Jesus.

Not sure what the consensus is, but this season has been pretty hardcore and consistent IMO. Like the stakes just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Also: HARE KINSEY

LANCE PRICE: He went down swingin'.

lane-price.jpg

Unless the finale reveals Joan to be some sort of sexy alien life form (Is it true? IS IT TRUE??), season 5 is my favorite season of the show. The first couple of episodes are pretty flat, but there are at least 3 episodes from it that would stand tall in my top 10. Far Away Places (might be my favorite episode of the show, looking back on it) and The Other Woman are particularly astounding.

5 > 3 > 2=4 > 1

If you want some critical consensus on my placement of the first season, look no further than the uncharacteristically low metacritic score. The show got a lot better.

In spite of some Beatles references scattered liberally throughout the first half of the season, it has been a fairly insular set of episodes. Very few pop culture references, especially relative to the first couple of seasons. Is it safe to assume that the summer of love will break this pattern wide open? I don't think even Mad Men is immune to those cliches.

Not as much pop culture per se, but the civil rights movement was front and center in the season premiere, and the sex hasn't necessarily increased overall but it's been a part of the story of more characters (instead of just Don and Roger), even reaching Sally. And there have been some minor pop culture things: the Hare Krishna movement, the play Megan auditioned for was real (Jules Feiffer's Little Murders) as was the show her friend was reading for (the original Dark Shadows soap opera).

As for your Summer of Love thing: although earlier on it seemed Don was going to be absorbed into the counter-culture, now he seems like he's resisting it and may be rendered obsolete by it. The question is, can Megan, Sally, even Peggy help him make the transition, or will we find him alone and and empty when the series ends?

Oh, and let's not forget the LSD. That trend certainly qualifies as pop culture. As does Weight Watchers. And the movie titles Megan mentioned in the last episode.

earlier on it seemed Don was going to be absorbed into the counter-culture, now he seems like he's resisting it and may be rendered obsolete by it.

This is one of my favorite aspects of season 5. Sterling-Cooper has always been on the wrong side of history (they supported Nixon, after all), and even Don isn't immune. He has made cursory attempts to integrate himself into youth culture of the time, but it's just not who he is. He's a square. This has never been more apparent than it is now that 1967 has arrived and the world seems to be zooming past not only Don Draper but most advertising, dating it terribly. Notice that the Beatles songs used or emulated in 1966 are from the first couple of albums; none of these high-powered businessmen have any clue what's going on in the minds of those they are advertising for, which is why losing Peggy was such a big deal. They're only to grow more out of touch in the meantime.

Right, but something tells me that Weiner has more up his sleeve than a simple downward trajectory (or running in place as the world marches forward).

Don may be "square" in the sense that he's the same guy, roughly, that Midge and her friends made fun of in Season One, but he's not stupid. And if you go back to Season Two, when he was going off to Los Angeles and getting a taste of the future, reading Frank O'Hara's poetry ("Meditations In An Emergency" was appropriated for the finale's title), he's someone who is at least open to the idea of something beyond what he's currently experiencing.

Personally, while Draper is set up to be a tragic character, I'd prefer him receiving some kind of awakening/salvation before this thing ends. He may have done some cruel things, but he's no Tony Soprano or Walter White. Isn't part of the whole show's theme about reinvention of the self? Can he do it one last time to save his soul and finally become truly happy?

Or is the show about the futility of reinvention? That, yes you can change, but you're still the same.

Happiness is just a moment before you need more happiness.

What is everyone's opinion on how Don handled the whole situation?

From one angle I can understand where he came from trying to "help" Lane avoid going down a path he has experience with - the whole web of lies thing.

On the orher hand, the hipocrisy and cold detachment of the way he handled it was not cool at all.

Im leaning more towards the second option myself, I couldn't help but be disapointed by the way he treated Lane and I hope he feels like a giant piece of shit.

I think its interesting how I never really considered what Lane did to be that serious in the first place, I'm not sure what that says about me...

Don was fully justified in firing Lane. Regardless of how much I liked Lane, no one gets to keep a job after they're caught embezzling.

The guy could no longer be trusted. You can't have someone like that in charge of the finances of a company when so many people's lives depend on it.

Whatever Don has done in the past, this is inexcusable from an employment standpoint. And while he was "cold", not any more so than he is to most people, and could have made it a lot worse for Lane.

Yeah, I mean, they may have needed that money if some things hadn't gone the company's way. He was dangerously close to putting the whole firm in jeopardy.

My heart breaks for Lane, and perhaps the point was being made that they're no different, Lane essentially forged a forgery, but Don was more than fair. I would have done the same thing.

Unless the finale reveals Joan to be some sort of sexy alien life form (Is it true? IS IT TRUE??)

I think the assumption is that he's asking her about the whorosity, but I bet it turns out he's asking if it's true that Lane embezzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom