Mad Men

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but Don only knows that she had a baby, not who the father is, right?

I can't get enough of this show!

Me either.:drool: It's right up there in my top 5 shows of all-time along with "House", "Desperate Housewives", "Friends", and "Three's Company"/"The Wonder Years" tied for fifth. I'd put it in third.:hmm:

And yes, Don, as far as we know, doesn't know Pete is her baby daddy.

thought it needed one of these :bump:

large_mademmy.jpg

55804253.jpg
55796929.jpg

The fact that this was all the way at the bottom of page 3 and hasn't had a single post in three episodes is disappointing :tsk:

Last night's episode was very interesting. Maybe Don's never going back? Maybe Don's going to become a hippie?

Only one episode left this season...

^2 episodes left. There's next week's and one more after that. I think we all know Don will be back in New York, but I'm really interested to see what he's still doing in L.A. Last night was very strange. I don't trust Don's new group of friends. There's something off about them. I'm most interested to see who the hell Don is going to visit next week. I was shocked when he said "Hello, this is Dick Whitman" to whomever it was on the phone. This could be a potentially big storyline. I was also surprised at how quickly Bert Cooper and Roger agreed to possibly sell Sterling-Cooper. I don't trust Duck. I hope he gets fired or leaves. The funniest moment of the night was in the office after Pete gets back from L.A.
Pete (to Peggy): "You look different"
Peggy: "It's my haircut"
Pete: "Ah, that's it."
Ken: "Kurt's a homo". :lol:

^2 episodes left. There's next week's and one more after that. I think we all know Don will be back in New York, but I'm really interested to see what he's still doing in L.A. Last night was very strange. I don't trust Don's new group of friends. There's something off about them. I'm most interested to see who the hell Don is going to visit next week. I was shocked when he said "Hello, this is Dick Whitman" to whomever it was on the phone. This could be a potentially big storyline. I was also surprised at how quickly Bert Cooper and Roger agreed to possibly sell Sterling-Cooper. I don't trust Duck. I hope he gets fired or leaves. The funniest moment of the night was in the office after Pete gets back from L.A.
Pete (to Peggy): "You look different"
Peggy: "It's my haircut"
Pete: "Ah, that's it."
Ken: "Kurt's a homo". :lol:

Yeah, Don's call at the end was pretty surprising... same with Sterling and Cooper's reactions to Duck's shifty deal. What I love about this show is that even when the plot isn't being laid out, I can still get engrossed by the depth of character and fucking awesome way this show is put together. It feels more like a movie than a television show... which always wins for me.

I can't fucking wait for Season 2 to come out on blu-ray.

It's the only way I'll accept viewing this show. It deserved nothing less.

Sometimes this show is so good that I almost start to cry tears of joy.

Taking Don out of his element was interesting. I'd have followed that woman to Palm Springs, too....and she reads Faulkner!!! Yes, U2isthebest, I am loathe to agree with you but those people are completely sketchy.....and the "Kurt's a homo" line made me laugh, as well.

Looking forward to seeing how the season winds up.

SPOILER

One of the spoilers for the season finale said that Betty learns some "disconcerting news." I'm guessing either her creepy John McCain look-alike of a dad is dead or she's knocked up as a result of her rendezvous with Don in her childhood bedroom.:hmm:

All I want everyone to tell me briefly is whether or not Season 2 is as good (or better?) as Season 1.

Because Season 1 is one of the most glorious things I've ever seen.

All I want everyone to tell me briefly is whether or not Season 2 is as good (or better?) as Season 1.

Because Season 1 is one of the most glorious things I've ever seen.

I'd say it's as good as Season 1 with some episodes being better. There have been some points in the season where I've seen shades of the typical "sophomore slump" that most great shows go through, but overall it's been great. The show is brilliant.:drool:

Did anyone notice that the final shot of Don in this week's episode was virtually identical to the silhouette logo used in the main titles?

They should have ended on that, and put the doorstep delivery scene before it.

Did anyone notice that the final shot of Don in this week's episode was virtually identical to the silhouette logo used in the main titles?

I think the main thing that made the episode weird were the creepy new characters whomever they were. My mom thinks they spiked Don's drink out by the pool when he passed out from what they said was heat exhaustion. It was also weird that Don woke up to one of them standing over him with a syringe. I think it's entirely plausible, there's something very unsettling there.
As for the noticing the similarities between the final shot of the episode and the theme music, I did! I also thought it was very interesting how in the opening, you see the ad man falling before he lands in that position. Is is symbolic of the major facade of Don's life tumbling down, i.e. him calling someone from his past and using his real name? I don't know, but it will be fascinating to see. Did anybody else notice that in the preview for the next episode, we see Don getting out of the car at what looks to be a military organization. It seemed that there were a lot of soldiers in the shot. I don't see why he would be going to see any one in the military, though, since as far as every one there knows, he's Don Draper, not Dick Whitman.

Yes!

I have a feeling that either one of the seasons or the series will end in a character's suicide, too, as the titles suggest.

I think the main thing that made the episode weird were the creepy new characters whomever they were. My mom thinks they spiked Don's drink out by the pool when he passed out from what they said was heat exhaustion. It was also weird that Don woke up to one of them standing over him with a syringe. I think it's entirely plausible, there's something very unsettling there.
As for the noticing the similarities between the final shot of the episode and the theme music, I did! I also thought it was very interesting how in the opening, you see the ad man falling before he lands in that position. Is is symbolic of the major facade of Don's life tumbling down, i.e. him calling someone from his past and using his real name? I don't know, but it will be fascinating to see. Did anybody else notice that in the preview for the next episode, we see Don getting out of the car at what looks to be a military organization. It seemed that there were a lot of soldiers in the shot. I don't see why he would be going to see any one in the military, though, since as far as every one there knows, he's Don Draper, not Dick Whitman.

I missed the scenes-from-next-week, but that sounds cool.

I can't believe there are only 2 episodes left in the season! I didn't know that til I read the posts above.

The Palm Springs people definitely sketchy... no clue what's going on there. Was wondering if it was a brothel or something at first :scratch:

Never liked Duck. Did Duck's 'offer' make it sound like Sterling-Cooper would be sold? I understood his meeting with the two guys at the restaurant, but don't remember if he made it sound as though the new company would want to buy/controlling interest in SC to the SC guys. I'm sure I'm wrong. I've only been able to watch the show in 10/20 minute increments due to time constraints lately, so I may have missed something. Maybe Duck will be cut-out of the deal somehow (if it goes thru) and commits suicide.

<<back to work :grumpy:

Duck told to the British guy that he should buy the controlling interest in Sterling-Cooper outright, which to my understanding, sounds like a hostile takeover. When he talked to Sterling and Coops, however, he made it sound like a joint venture between SC and the British company... so clearly he's spinning it to get his way since he's not doing so well, especially after the American Airlines fiasco.

I think Duck will be out at the end of the season. There's a possibility that the actor, Mark Moses, might be reprising his role on "Desperate Housewives" later this season, which would kick major ass. His character is a creepy mofo on there too. On a side note, John Slattery, aka Roger Sterling, had one of sweetest death scenes on TV recently on "DH". He was impaled by a fence post during the tornado.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was the "ad man" trying to spin the "deal" that Duck put out there. Wonder if SC finds out about Duck's little scheme.

So, the bag on Betty's doorstep. That was Don's, right?

AMC ? Mad Men

Ok, those scenes with her and Glen last week crossed into creeper territory. In season 1, the scenes between them were just heartbreaking because you could see how Glen was suffering from the neglect from his mother and the treatment he and his family received because of the attitude towards divorce at the time, and you could see how Betty was just a lonely woman who never had a chance to grow up. Last year I really felt badly for Betty because it was clear that she was emotionally stunted because of the way she was treated by her late mother (constant belittlement according to what she told her shrink) and the common depressions faced by many women at the time who felt smothered, unfulfilled, and disconnected because of the lack of opportunities at the time. This season I've really grown to dislike her, though. She's very self-absorbed and dramatic, and the way she's treated her children has been awful. Frankly, Don is a far better parent than Betty is. He might be an all-around douchebag, but when it comes to his kids, he's a different person.

Some people weren't sure if the house at the end was actually Don/Betty's house.

Some people were suggesting that maybe the suitcase got returned to the REAL Don Draper's house.

I don't know if that's possible, but it would be a great way to trigger the unraveling of Don's fake identity.

Some people weren't sure if the house at the end was actually Don/Betty's house.

Some people were suggesting that maybe the suitcase got returned to the REAL Don Draper's house.

I don't know if that's possible, but it would be a great way to trigger the unraveling of Don's fake identity.

Wait...I just remembered that the real Don Draper is dead. Maybe this idea doesn't make sense. :wink:

Ok, those scenes with her and Glen last week crossed into creeper territory. In season 1, the scenes between them were just heartbreaking because you could see how Glen was suffering from the neglect from his mother and the treatment he and his family received because of the attitude towards divorce at the time, and you could see how Betty was just a lonely woman who never had a chance to grow up. Last year I really felt badly for Betty because it was clear that she was emotionally stunted because of the way she was treated by her late mother (constant belittlement according to what she told her shrink) and the common depressions faced by many women at the time who felt smothered, unfulfilled, and disconnected because of the lack of opportunities at the time. This season I've really grown to dislike her, though. She's very self-absorbed and dramatic, and the way she's treated her children has been awful. Frankly, Don is a far better parent than Betty is. He might be an all-around douchebag, but when it comes to his kids, he's a different person.

I agree that the connection to Glen Bishop, the divorced neighbor's son, is creepy. What does this relationship have to do with everything? :hmm: Is Betty afraid of how she & the kids might be treated if her marriage ends in divorce? What did Don see in Betty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom