M. Night Shyamalan's Next Movie-Lady In The Water - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:10 PM
did the Village get bad reviews?

cause I honestly love that movie, the subject came up at work the other and I almost got pelted with rotten tomatoes for saying I liked the Village.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #32
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Slapnutz

So you're another who fell for that 'it's so bad it's good' online marketing campaign orchestrated by the studio, huh?

You'll be pleased to hear it's so bad they've refused to give press screenings ahead of its release.
uhm, yeah I guess?

I'm a big Sam Jackson fan, and it just looks terrifically camp and cheesy and fun.

Who really cares about the critic's opinions?

They don't think for me, last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
did the Village get bad reviews?

cause I honestly love that movie, the subject came up at work the other and I almost got pelted with rotten tomatoes for saying I liked the Village.
Let's just say it's the Pop of M. Night Shyma-movies.

Old 07-20-2006, 02:35 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

hmm...I always imagined that would be Signs
Old 07-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #34
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I saw Brice Dallas Howard interviewed on Conan last night and the clip they showed looked really good and intense. She really impressed me, what a poised intelligent young lady she is. Ron Howard did a great job raising his kids to be level headed kind and down to earth people!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #35
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

^
She was great last night

I think Conan conducts the best interviews out of all of the late night hosts.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #36
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I love Conan, not only is he himself entertaining and funny, but he does a great interview and you are right about him getting the best out of his guest. Ms Howard was absolutely adorable. I loved when she and Conan were trading stories about being in family of redheads!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:10 PM
I think all of his movies are good and while I agree the Village was not one of his best it is still a good movie...

Personally I think Unbreakable is his best. There is something about that movie which I love; it's definitely on my top 10 list. I can't quite put my finger on it but I can watch it over and over again.

The Sixth Sense tends to loose allot of its repeat viewing ability once the ending is discovered.

Signs is very good in terms or tension and suspense and there are some really touching moments and funny ones too. I'm not crazy about the ending though, seemed like he ran out of ideas and just threw something together...

The Village is good but there isn't as much tension as Signs and the ending has no real pay off, there is a twist but it's kind of lame and compared to his other films there are much larger holes in the plot...
Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Has anyone seen it yet? I am still trying to digest it, don't know quite what to make of it. Paul Giamatti was superb as usual. He can make even nonsense seem credible.

I love M Night's movies because they are like no other movies, and with all the copycat crap out from Hollywood that is quite an achivement. That doesn't mean they're good of course.

People far more intelligent than I am can analyze Lady In The Water and come up with dozens of interpretations of it. There is a political theme running through it for sure, with all the war references. It's tough to decipher through all the weirdness. If was definitely not my favorite movie of his, probably my least favorite. It's far more pretentious and self-indulgent in my eyes than any of his other movies have been.

This critic says it's a jaw dropping catastrophe

http://www.accessatlanta.com/movies/...water/ajc.html

Another review I read said it's no show, just tell. That's a good description.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I saw it last night. It's still to soon to start ranking it against his other films. I enjoyed it. It was like the trailer said, a bedtime story. I think people are/were expected some horror/suspense flick, but I'm not sure where they're getting that idea from.

One of my favorite things was the random characters. Like instead of using all famous people who are perfectly proportioned and super-models on the side, he had some real weirdos and "normal" looking people (like the five sisters).

I'm still trying to understand the significance/analogies of the Scrunt and the Tartutic.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

People far more intelligent than I am can analyze Lady In The Water and come up with dozens of interpretations of it. There is a political theme running through it for sure, with all the war references.
One of the main reasons I liked The Village was the political theme...I thought it was a very effective commentary, but not many people bought into it. The critics do hate this latest one, as you say...I'm seeing a pattern

Like Trevster says, this could mean very bad things for Shyamalan, if LITW is a total flop. It could be back to Bruce Willis forever--or even worse: Chuck Norris
Old 07-24-2006, 12:09 AM   #41
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
Like Trevster says, this could mean very bad things for Shyamalan, if LITW is a total flop. It could be back to Bruce Willis forever--or even worse: Chuck Norris
How could he make a movie with Chuck Norris?

Chuck would unleash a can of fury on whatever spooky thing is in that movie.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Rotten Tomatoes

Fresh 28 Rotten 104
Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ok, ok, I say this in true honesty ...I'm not one who tried to be the devi's advocate but I feel I watched a different movie than the critics saw...because I thought it was fucking great. Honestly! It had the perfect blend of humour and suspense, and the best part was it was engaging. As an audience member the whole time I felt like I was along with the ride, trying to solve the puzzle and figuring out what Night's gonna surprise you with. I haven't been this fascinated watching a movie in a long time. The critic character was a genuis addition.. a mocking of movie critics
[which is probably a reason for the bad reviews], I applaud Night for being bold and always creative.
It's one of those movies where you just know every little thing in the set and the story has a meaning much like a book. There's a lot of commentary on world issues some subtle some not so much and actually involves the audience to be creative which is rare nowadays.

I definitely rank this towards the top of M Night's films. I think people should actually give it a chance and forget all the bad reviews and make up their own mind.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:22 AM   #44
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
I think people should actually give it a chance and forget all the bad reviews and make up their own mind.
well said.

I really want to see this movie before I go back to school.

This and Will Ferrell's new movie can hold me over until Snakes on a Plane.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I saw it today...highly original, quirky, and captivating. It lagged slightly at one point, but, overall, I really think it's Shyamalan at the top of his game. As mentioned earlier, there are numerous references to world issues and themes--the kind that might fly over your head if you're either not thinking your way through the film, or not used to his personal style of directing.

Visually, the movie is dark and different-looking, yet there's a interesting warmth to it all. In terms of a message, I think it's about redemption, new beginnings, and overcoming fear.

Critics be damned