Lotr: Ee - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2004, 06:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Christopher Lee was pretty pissed when "The Scouring Of The Shire" was cut, as I recall.
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 11:35 AM
dammit, how many special extended LOTR dvd's am i going to have to buy.
__________________

__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #18
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Christopher Lee was pretty pissed when "The Scouring Of The Shire" was cut, as I recall.
Christopher Lee was pretty pissed that he was cut out of ROTK entirely, and rightfully so.
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #19
Refugee
 
Edgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,323
Local Time: 01:35 PM
I was also pretty pissed about that as well.
__________________
Edgeman is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I'm glad the Scouring wasn't in the film, but I did not like Saruman being completely excised from the theatrical version. The scouring of the Shire is entirely anticlimactic in terms of what would and would not work in a film. Books are more suited for falling action, films tend to end much sooner after the climax. I think the last portion of the film was about as good as it could have been
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 12-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
lmjhitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tbtf
Posts: 4,317
Local Time: 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
Chronicles of Narnia starts in December 2005.
Really??? Who's in this? Who's directing? I had no idea they were filming these!
Things are looking up!!!
__________________
lmjhitman is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 12:37 AM   #22
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I'm glad the Scouring wasn't in the film, but I did not like Saruman being completely excised from the theatrical version. The scouring of the Shire is entirely anticlimactic in terms of what would and would not work in a film. Books are more suited for falling action, films tend to end much sooner after the climax. I think the last portion of the film was about as good as it could have been
I'm glad the Scouring wasn't there, either. I liked the message (no place was safe from the evil of the Ring) but I thought it was so contrived of Tolkein compared to the rest of the book. Look, there's Saruman, we'll let him go. Oh, we passed him on the road--eh, he means no harm. Oh no, he took over the Shire!

I liked the ending of ROTK initially, but when I look back, I find it odd what Jackson chose to save for the DVD and what he left in. Sam's wedding was sweet, but it should have been saved for the extended. Post-coronation, it should have really been trimmed tighter, with Frodo's great voice over, until the Gray Havens. (The biggest tear-jerker of 2004... )

I can't *wait* to see the palantir, the Houses of Healing and the Mouth of Sauron. That stuff should have been left in! I think it's a shame that Jackson allowed himself to be so swayed by popular reaction that he expanded Gollum's role to the extreme, and cut stuff from the book that audiences would have preferred to see.
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 01:08 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41



I can't *wait* to see the palantir, the Houses of Healing and the Mouth of Sauron. That stuff should have been left in! I think it's a shame that Jackson allowed himself to be so swayed by popular reaction that he expanded Gollum's role to the extreme, and cut stuff from the book that audiences would have preferred to see.
I don't think you can really say he expanded Gollum's role do to reaction. The stuff that was filmed was filmed altogether, with the exception of a few days of pick-up shoots here and there. I think it's reasonable to say that some of the decisions on what was removed from the footage shot may have been to enhance Gollum's prominence, but I don't know. I mean, Andy Serkis was brilliant as Gollum.

Oh and yes, Houses of Healing, Mouth of Sauron, everything
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #24
The Fly
 
elffriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Deep recess of the mind
Posts: 79
Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon


Chronicles of Narnia starts in December 2005.
What??????

How can you compare that crap to Lord of the Rings, sacrelidge!!!
__________________
elffriend is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,994
Local Time: 02:35 PM
I saw the LOTR exhibit over the summer, it was so cool So many movie artifacts and videos about making the movie. Of course the ring was there too.

I don't know if it will ever be touring again, but it's definitely worth seeing if it does.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #26
New Yorker
 
AvsGirl41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 2,948
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon


I don't think you can really say he expanded Gollum's role do to reaction. The stuff that was filmed was filmed altogether, with the exception of a few days of pick-up shoots here and there. I think it's reasonable to say that some of the decisions on what was removed from the footage shot may have been to enhance Gollum's prominence, but I don't know. I mean, Andy Serkis was brilliant as Gollum.
No, things were actually filmed and added based on the reaction to the film before it. It's in Sean Astin's book (which is actually crap except for a few LOTR tidbits). Besides more Gollum, one of the scenes added in was Legolas sliding down the trunk of the oliphaunt, due to Legolas' overwhelming (and unpredicted) popularity. Sam's speech at the end of The Two Towers was another addition, not based so much on popularity, but the world post 9/11.

I was surprised, as I imagined most of the stuff had been filmed except for pick-up shots. But I always suspected the Gollum thing, as that was just too coincidental.
__________________
AvsGirl41 is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Oh well. That makes me sad, but I still like the films very much.
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elffriend


What??????

How can you compare that crap to Lord of the Rings, sacrelidge!!!
I'd hardly call them crap. They lack the complexity of Tolkien's universe, absolutely. But they're brilliant children's books, maybe a bit didactic, but quite enjoyable nevertheless.
__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 5,901
Local Time: 12:35 PM
i saw the display poster for ROTK EE at walmart this morning. i so wanted to take it.

what is chronicles of narnia?
__________________
cell is offline  
Old 12-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
UnforgettableLemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lansdale, PA
Posts: 7,286
Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
i saw the display poster for ROTK EE at walmart this morning. i so wanted to take it.

what is chronicles of narnia?
Chronicles of Narnia is a series of Children's High Fantasy written by Tolkien's close friend and colleague, C.S. Lewis (author of "Mere Christianity" and "The Screwtape Letters" as well). They are about a world that runs parallel to our own, and border on Christian allegory. Lewis denies that was his intent, although he did say it was to explore what it would be like if God had other worlds that worked on similar principles. So, they're not so much allegory as Christian symbols and motifs transposed to a fantasy world inhabited by characters from Greco-Roman, Germanic, and Norse myth.

But, if that's too heavy-handed, they're also just a lot of fun to read.
__________________

__________________
UnforgettableLemon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com