Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation

Alright I looked at the band index and there are actually two threads on this subject but

i) the first is more or less about Pete's shambles (see I can pun too) of a performance at Live 8
ii) the second is about one song.

So I felt justified in making a new thread dedicated to the exclusive appreciation of all things Peter and Carl and stuff.

Note this is an appreciation thread and I know loads of you hate the Libs etc. so this may actually turn to the shortest appreciation thread ever or something, but nevermind but if you don't have anything good to say keep out. Please.

To start:

'Music When The Lights Go Out' is a lovely song. Discuss.

Edit: I also must, must mention the rather fun little acoustic version of 'What Katie Did' I managed to acquire yesterday. That's probably my favourite Libertines song, it's such a simple little number but utterly charming. Ahhh...

Old 09-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Re: Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation

I absolutely adore "Music When The Lights Go Out". One of my favorite songs.

I also greatly enjoy "What Katie Did". It's appeared on many mix CDs I've made for friends and family members. Where did you find that acoustic version?

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Libertines/Pete Doherty/Babyshambles etc. Appreciation

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Where did you find that acoustic version?
Limewire. It's not a patch on the regular version, really, but it's quite cute in its demo-ness. Here it is:

http://s24. .com/d.aspx?id=2ZQSZ3D4PMSC20PGAPXDO7TBL4
Old 09-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Yertle, I love you for starting this thread.

Music when the lights go out is indeed a wonderful song. Have you guys ever heard the version from the Legs II sessions? I can email it to anyone who'd like to hear it cause it's a lovely early version of the song.

I'm going to see Babyshambles later this month -- I must be mad cause the chances of them turning up on time and sober-ish are fairly remote, but it's a testament to how much I admire Pete's music that I'm willing to take a chance on them.

Actually, I have tonnes of live and session mp3s of Libertines/Babyshambles/Pete solo so if anyone wants me to upload anything just ask. There's some really lovely unreleased stuff, like Breck Road Lover, You're My Waterloo, The Bucket Shop and loads more.

I could talk about the Libertines and Babyshambles all day y'know.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Fizz! I'd love to hear that early 'Music When The Lights Go Out' and some of them other unreleased stuff. Mind dropping me an email?

theatrefulofsadness@gmail.com
Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

You have mail.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:59 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah sod it I typed my email wrongly. There's meant to be an extra 'l' in that. Mind a forward?

theatrefullofsadness@gmail.com

Cheers though, this might be one of the best 4 am nights ever!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I was just about to ask if I'd got your email right cause my email bounced back. I'll send it again to the right address.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm an idiot, I know. In the meantime do you have any information on what the famed 'Books of Albion' are at the official babyshambles website because it seems to be down at the moment?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 AM
I really liked both of the Libertine's albums, especially Up the Bracket. Vertigo, Death on the Stairs, Up the bracket and Good ol' days...etc. Actually, I don't think there is a song on there I didn't like. They weren't that out of order last year when I saw them live(without Pete ofcourse), but this whole love affair NME has with the "Pete Doherty Soap Opera" is getting pretty old.

Haven't heard any of the Baby Shambles yet, any recommendations?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

You should have mail now, I hope.

And the Books of Albion are essentially Pete's diaries which he's put online. They often have song lyrics in them and poetry or stories he's written, plus quite a lot of press clippings and photos. I really enjoyed looking at them.

Until they're back up at babyshambles.com you can find some of them at http://www.babyshambles.net/books.asp and http://www.albionarks.com/ although the second site is a bit unreliable and you'll probably have to register and post on their forum before you can look at them so the .net site is the best place to start. AlbionArks has a lot of MP3s and videos too if you're interested in those.

ETA: I just checked the AlbionArks site and it looks like they've changed something so you won't have to register to look at the Books of Albion.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bayernfc
Haven't heard any of the Baby Shambles yet, any recommendations?
So far they've only released three singles (and one of those was really a Pete solo project rather than with the full band).

The best of the singles they've released IMHO is Killamanjiro (and the B-side The Man Who Came TO Stay) though Babyshambles (confusingly there's a song with the same name as the band) is a great song too and it's B-Side At the Flophouse is a beautiful little acoustic song.

Their latest single Fuck Forever is a bit disappointing IMHO. I've got several live and session versions of it all of which are superior to the finished single. It's not bad per se, it's just disappointing because it's obviously a fantastic song but the single version just isn't anything special.

I can email some of their stuff to you if you like?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 AM
That'd be great, thanks.

cornersoul77(at)hotmail.com
Old 09-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah, cheers, Fizz, for that info, and thanks for the mp3s. Am listening to the early 'Music When The Lights Go Out' and it is indeed lovely.

bayern: I've stopped reading the music press so I was really quite unaware of the whole Peter/Carlos thing but I had a friend who was really into the Libs (and kinda passed on that liking to me, really) and she was often regaling me with stories about them. I agree it may be overkill but I think the music's really good so there's nothing to complain about there.

Edit: Ahh, that's what I get for replying slowly.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

You're welcome.

bayernfc, you should have email now.

And the NME soap opera thing I agree is getting old. It's just typical NME I guess -- latch on to a band and print a story about them every week no matter how irrelevant. I dunno, I'd be a hypocrite to moan about the NME too much though since I still buy it every week and check nme.com everyday. There are certainly plenty of things to complain about with NME but at the same time they're really the only weekly music magazine covering indie-type music so people are going to buy it no matter what. We need Melody Maker back is what.