Leaked songs/albums -- listen or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
I've been noticing that recently several new songs/albums (Coldplay, Oasis, Springsteen) have leaked, and I wondered what people's opinions were on listening to them early, so to speak. I'm interested in hearing from those that do listen early and those that don't -- essentially why or why not.

Does listening to a leaked song or two whet your appetite for the whole thing? Does it disrupt that "brand new album feeling" when you are able to get the whole thing (assuming you couldn't or didn't listen to the entire album)?

The decision came up for me recently. At least one song from the new album of a band I love has been leaked (apparently much to the dismay of the band), and although I have been offered the download, I have declined. The album isn't even due out until September (and their albums are often late :rolleyes: ), so in any case I think it's entirely too early. Besides, I notice that I have a more intense listening experience when I wait and here an album in it's entirety. And I can't help but remember that I had heard absolutely not one iota of what's become my very favorite album prior to buying it -- and it was wonderful when I did finally hear it.

After the HTDAAB leak, I have decided to wait until the album comes out and let that be the first listem.

I always wait. The hardest test for me came when all the people that got a hold of HTDAAB were talking on Interference about it. It took a lot of will power to not listen, too.

I cannot really say why I prefer to wait, I just get a release date in my head, and stick to it, I guess.

i prefer to wait, but i lack the willpower. i've found that it doesn't matter really, good albums sound good when you hear the leaked mp3s, but they sound even better once you have the physical cd in your posession. it may be mainly a psychological thing, but it seems to always be the case.

I used to get too excited and I'd download the albums the day they were leaked (if I knew for certain that I'd be buying the album). After far too many cases where I did end up buying the album the day it was released only to realize there was nothing to be excited about because I've already listened to the album a number of times, I quit. Now I can enjoy listening to it for the first time in FAR better quality.

As for individual songs, generally if it's the single, I download it. I dont listen to the radio, so I figure I may as well or I just will never hear it. I'll also download other songs if the band themselves has let an authorized site put it up for free. I figure a song or 2 will wet my appetite enough for the real thing.

the last album i managed to avoid downloading in advance was kid a . . . . now im way too impatient if something is readily available. i normally don't download full albums though, just a few tracks.

i guess it depends. for duran duran, i listened to some leaked demos. they were out well over a year before the album came out, and even the songs that made it onto the album sounded dramatically different. but if the album did leak (i don't know if it did), i didn't listen to it and i wouldn't have, even if i'd had the chance.

i'd never listen to an entire leaked album, that spoils everything. maybe a song or two, but not a whole album.

I got the new Jimmy Eat World CD early (Futures) and I loved it. I told all my friends to buy it when it came out. I guess that it's bad that I got a "stolen" copy of it, but I didn't reproduce it so I think that what I did was okay.

Depends. I got the new U2 early and of course bought it on the day of release, I've heard the new Oasis songs and I'll get that album. I had the whole British Sea Power album about two months before release but even though you can't buy it here I ordered it online a few days after its release.

Though, for the next Radiohead album, I'll be waiting. I decided that randomly, and I'm sticking to it.

with bands i love (u2, Oasis, Radiohead) if their stuff leaks i will listen to it because i know for sure that i will buy the record when it comes out. with other artists, i can wait till the record hits the shelves.

i managed to avoid all the temptation on here when HTDAAB leaked and i'm glad i did.

but then i also listened to a couple of the small badly recorded clips that leaked out prior to Vertigo release.

its weird but i'll happily listen to a leaked song or two but not a whole album.
:shrug:

not if it's something I know I'm going to buy anyway. If it's something I'm undecided on or intrigued by I like to listen before paying so I know what I'm getting.

In my case, i listen to leaked songs of bands i like, but with the bands i love, i don't

Back
Top Bottom