Kyzyl Superthread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 AM   #166
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

Cos they're free?

I love their paint scheme. It looks so attractive. Certainly beats the rather unexciting fog grey and white that Yarra Trams likes to use. I miss the yellow and green. That was pretty much my favourite livery of any railed vehicle, ever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
The W class are seriously doing an impressive job though. The youngest are about 50 years old and shouldn't be withdrawn any time soon.
Nice...

Stupid wasteful progress-obsessed humans.

Hey, have you been to this "Railfan Shop"? It's near the corner of Flinders Lane and Market street...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #168
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Public transport in Melbourne is generally free, up to the point where you get caught and cornered by five huge inspectors who can't speak English and are more than happy to use force.

It's not that I'm advocating freeloading off the system or anything, just disagreeing with the people they hire to enforce it.
Earlier today, I actually got my ticket inspected by a young and rather attractive lady. It was so weird. I almost asked "but where's the big ugly brute whose knowledge of English starts and finishes with 'ticket'?"

Also, I did the sums last year. I had my ticket inspected seven times. If I had not been on a student concession, it would have been cheaper to take the fines than buy monthly passes.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #169
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Public transport in Melbourne is generally free, up to the point where you get caught and cornered by five huge inspectors who can't speak English and are more than happy to use force.

It's not that I'm advocating freeloading off the system or anything, just disagreeing with the people they hire to enforce it.
Well, okay, guilt-free, then?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #170
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Man, you gotta love Melbourne. Wouldn't live in Sydney, or any other part of Australia for any reason at all.
I don't want to live in any other city anywhere. Sure, it's not New Zealand, but it's close enough that being a historian of the place should hopefully still be practical. The flight's only 3.5 hours to Wellington, and on an academic's salary and my dislike for buying more than I need, I won't have trouble affording frequent flights across the Tasman.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:

Earlier today, I actually got my ticket inspected by a young and rather attractive lady. It was so weird. I almost asked "but where's the big ugly brute whose knowledge of English starts and finishes with 'ticket'?"

Quote:
Also, I did the sums last year. I had my ticket inspected seven times. If I had not been on a student concession, it would have been cheaper to take the fines than buy monthly passes.
I've only had my ticket inspected three or four times. The remainder of the times there were inspectors around, they looked at me, noticed the seven foot long spear I was carrying, then noticed the ominous bag I had slung over my shoulder (carrying my swords), then decided they hadn't in fact seen me. It's great.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #172
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I love their paint scheme. It looks so attractive. Certainly beats the rather unexciting fog grey and white that Yarra Trams likes to use. I miss the yellow and green. That was pretty much my favourite livery of any railed vehicle, ever.
Same. It is annoying that the restaurant trams are the same colour as the city circle ones, but I think they're on different routes so it's not a big deal... I see a lot of the restaurant ones going up and down King's Way.

An English friend of mine was visiting Melbourne some years ago, and also preferred the green/gold colour scheme... so much so that when he finally spotted a green/gold tram (I think most of them were decked out in ads and stuff at that point), he stood in the middle of traffic to take a picture.

Of course, this is the same idiot who later scratched a real wild lion in Africa under the chin, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #173
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Hey, have you been to this "Railfan Shop"? It's near the corner of Flinders Lane and Market street...
NO.

BUT NOW I AM EXCITED.

How the hell have I missed that? The bloody 55 goes right past it!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Well, okay, guilt-free, then?
For sure!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Green and Gold: The Australian Way (Until the Howard era of political correctness)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I've only had my ticket inspected three or four times. The remainder of the times there were inspectors around, they looked at me, noticed the seven foot long spear I was carrying, then noticed the ominous bag I had slung over my shoulder (carrying my swords), then decided they hadn't in fact seen me. It's great.
I would have thought those things would mean you got extra attention... although maybe from cops rather than tram inspectors.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #177
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That's classic. I'm actually genuinely surprised they let you bring your spear and swords on the trams though. I suppose they're too afraid to ask you to get weapons off the tram?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #178
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Same. It is annoying that the restaurant trams are the same colour as the city circle ones, but I think they're on different routes so it's not a big deal... I see a lot of the restaurant ones going up and down King's Way.

An English friend of mine was visiting Melbourne some years ago, and also preferred the green/gold colour scheme... so much so that when he finally spotted a green/gold tram (I think most of them were decked out in ads and stuff at that point), he stood in the middle of traffic to take a picture.

Of course, this is the same idiot who later scratched a real wild lion in Africa under the chin, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.
Yeah, I've seen the restaurant trams in all kinds of interesting places. Actually, while I was waiting for you at the meet-up, they went by. I only got one photo though, and it was crap due to a car in the way. All my other shots were totally blocked by pedestrians.

And you told me that story. That's just hilarious.

I'm certainly in no hurry to take photos from traffic! I'll take them from the footpath or tram stops or the Bourke St stairs at Spencer Street Station, thank you very much! I wish to live.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
NO.

BUT NOW I AM EXCITED.

How the hell have I missed that? The bloody 55 goes right past it!

I've only ever walked past it, it's probably mostly models and things, and it's not really extremely visible. But I can show you where it is, at any rate
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #180
Vocal parasite

Quote:
(Until the Howard era of political correctness)
And until the Kennett era of selling off everything as fast as possible with careless disregard for the long term ...

BRING BACK THE MET.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread