KISS appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
Their contribution to rock n roll history-overrated or under appreciated?

I think under appreciated.. BIG TIME

they show that rock and roll doesn't have to save the world, just make it happy... and make it a big party

besides Rock and Roll all Night... there's some great songs... amazing ones

Crazy Nights
Tears Are Falling
Deuce (one of the mos amaziong rock songs you could hear live ---> Alive III )
Detroit Rock City (I dream of playing that song in Detroit one day)
I Was Made For Loving You
Shout It Out Loud (a song that basically says "have a blast")

and maybe their greatest song, and what I think is the REAL anthem of R&R:

God Gave Rock And Roll To You II :drool:

this happened when Bruce Kulick (2nd guitarist from like 84 to 96) came to Chile in December, in a little club, rock and roll made it a church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFY1pnGHPFA

and here's the real deal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxAWiNb4-I

I very much appreciate them. Amazing band both live and in the studio. At many times cheesy and filled with clichés but still they make it feel right and great. Some of their songs are simply amazing rock anthens, some of the best rock songs ever. My favorites are:

Shout It Out Loud
God Of Thunder
I Still Love You
Lick It Up
Let Me Go Rock N' Roll
Goin' Blind
Psycho Circus
I Was Made For Loving You
Black Diamond
Love Gun

I saw them live in '99 but unfortunately I wasn't a big fan so I didn't pay much attention, I just knew some of their songs and though they were kinda fun. I love them now and very much wish that they record a new album and tour the world. And if possible with Ace and Peter.

pepokiss said:
ehm.... WHY?

Why what? Why are they overrated? Hell I don't know. I have no clue why anyone would love this band.

I think you meant to ask how are they overrated. They are overrated because once you remove the makeup and the pyro, there are maybe 2 songs that are actually bareable. Nothing "army" worthy that's for sure...

I think the costumes and make-up go hand in hand with the music
and vice versa. One is not good without the other when it comes to KISS.

I only liked them until they took their make-up off.

holy shit, i have been waiting for someone saying they are kiss fans!!!!

i am a HUGE fan, they are now having like scattered concerts in the most random places, like on september 15th they are playing in whisker, british colombia..

They in my opinion are very under rated...im just waitin for another reunion tour, but wont happen since they already kicked off peter for eric singer last tour...

asr said:
One is not good without the other when it comes to KISS.

Exactly, and since they can't be in my car performing the songs... what's the point? The songs can't stand on themselves.

asr said:

I only liked them until they took their make-up off.

Lick it up, is one of the worse songs of all time...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Exactly, and since they can't be in my car performing the songs... what's the point? The songs can't stand on themselves.

That is why you go buy Alive!, Alive II and Alive III, and recently the millenium concert, which is considered IV...

Lick it up, is one of the worse songs of all time...

I think lick it up is a good song, and the best unmasked song...

But the whole point of their live albums brings the visual to you without being infront of them, if you buy Alive!, then you will see what I mean, because it isnt just any live album, its the album that inspired 20 other bands/artists to start playing music

TheBrazilianFly said:

I saw them live in '99 but unfortunately I wasn't a big fan so I didn't pay much attention, I just knew some of their songs and though they were kinda fun. I love them now and very much wish that they record a new album and tour the world. And if possible with Ace and Peter.

Ace and Peter coming back will not happen, no way...
-----------------------------------------
Reasons for Peter:

1. Peter was kicked off the 2003 tour for Eric Singer, who has been playing with Kiss recently.

2. He was kicked off of Kiss for serveral other reasons,

- He was asking for much more ridiculous money.
- Paul and Gene like Eric Singer better.
-Gene and Paul lied to the fans saying that Peter was too old (arm artirits) to play on tour, which Peter explained was a lie (on an interview on his site)

3. Peter also explained on another recent interview that he would love to have ONE final concert reunion to just have a happy ending with everyone..

4. Peter has a temper, watch the end of the video below and you'll know what im talking about...

---------------------------------------

Reasons for Ace

1. Ace over all was just burnt out, he was just beat up, which I will show you in the same video below that Peters temper is in..

2. Ace wanted to go back solo, he was sick of every single night putting on the makeup and putting on 20 pounds of costume..

3. Ace was set, with Peter on the 2003 tour to play with Paul and Gene, until he found out that Aerosmith would be playing after KISS...Ego problems..

here's the video of Ace worn out, and at the end, Peters temper...Because of the mixing board..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UMi8ZC4QH5o

I was a huge huge fan as a kid they are just fun party music, nothing extraordinary but way better than a lot of rock music

Well Peter's major problem is that he can't play anymore, from the Reunion Tour to the Farewell Tour his playing got worse not to mention the tour with Aerosmith but yes ego problems have always been a big issue in KIss

bill-and-teds-excellent-adventure-13943.jpg

Mofo said:
Well Peter's major problem is that he can't play anymore, from the Reunion Tour to the Farewell Tour his playing got worse not to mention the tour with Aerosmith but yes ego problems have always been a big issue in KIss

Well actually he said he was playable for the next tour, that was in an interview on his site
... and he just recently came out with a new album...

I agree with TPSreports2424.

Their made up faces are, of course, on the cover of their 70's albums so it was still both an audio/visual experience listening to KISS recordings. Even the 90's reunion album 'Phycho Circus' would not have been listenable without their costumes back on and that 3-D cover.

BTW, the late Eric Carr kicked both Singer and Criss' asses on the drums. After all, he was the 'FOX' with an army tank for a drum riser .

Last edited:
Well I do think that Eric C was better then Peter and Eric S is better then Peter, but I have been to boths concerts with and without Peter, and (I cant find the word for it) the "mystic" just wasnt there, when Peter played, he just looked like god with his drums overbearing him, and Eric just looked like any drummer in any band..

tpsreports2424 said:

Well actually he said he was playable for the next tour, that was in an interview on his site
... and he just recently came out with a new album...

of course he is going to say that, but the man couldn't keep up be it age and all the drugs he took for decades, don't get me wrong I rather see the originals even if it means the songs are slowed down than with Eric S and Tommy T, which I've also seen and musically they are way better than Ace and Peter.

I've only heard a couple of Peter's new song, which just left me speechless, have you heard Space Ace?? and besides having a new album doesn't mean he played drums he just sang and played percussions

I know that, I know that Peter is not the way he played in the 70's... I was just stating that Paul and Gene lied to the fans saying that the ONLY reason why he left the band was because he has arthirits, when there was def more than one reason why he left..

Peter's new album didn't surprise me, I knew it would be that kind of album. If you see the DVD, KISS: The Second Coming, (which is a 2 and a half hour documentary made by KISS that showed everything that happend behind the scenes right before the Reunion Tour (rehearsals) and everything right before the psycho circus tour.. I DEF recomend it) One time before a show you see Gene giving Peter all of these Box Sets of the "oldies stuff."

I am actually more surprised that Peter was in a band like Kiss, then more surprised of his new album..

Well they never lied about THAT (God knows Gene is a pathologic liar) right from the tour in Austraia they said Peter was asking for a ridiculous amount of money, Gene said it again in his book and in VH1 behind the makeup

and yes I've seen the Second Coming, had it in VHS when it came out

Mofo said:
Well they never lied about THAT (God knows Gene is a pathologic liar) right from the tour in Austraia they said Peter was asking for a ridiculous amount of money, Gene said it again in his book and in VH1 behind the makeup

Huh, never saw when they said that :hmm:

I agree that Peter had the best stage presence of any of the drummers. Eric Carr himself, if he were alive today, would tell you the same thing. In fact, according to the audio commentary on 'Kissology', Carr would constantly call up Criss asking if he's filling his shoes properly. I take back what I said about the 'Fox' upstaging the 'Cat'.

I still think ANYONE is better than boring Eric Singer. He's not even original, he has Peter's make up and costume on now. Gene Simmons owns the rights to both Ace Frehley's and Criss' stage characters, so he just gave them to Tommy T. and Singer respectively.

How lame is that?

Last edited:
I liked them alot when I was in middle school. Saw them on the reunion tour (first show at Tiger Stadium) and I saw them on the Aerosmith tour once. Its a good live show and thats why they are popular ultimately IMO. Even U2 initially got the buzz going about them because of their live performances.

I do agree that alot of their music is a product of the make up and stage show and vice versa. But they actually do have a couple of very good cohesive hard rock albums IMO.

Destroyer is just a good complete rock album regardless of the make up.

Creatures Of The Night, same thing, actually probably better than Destroyer but didnt get as much attention.

What is good about Gene's greediness is that it occasionally pays dividends for their fans. Kissology 1 and 2 are a diehards dream IMO. Full vintage concerts from alot of their tours. Imagine if U2 did that. Would be a dream come true for me.

Back
Top Bottom