Kings of Leon.... anyone? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Kings of Leon.... anyone?

Well, it took me a long time and tons of listens to get a feel for these guys but Kings of Leon have definitely become one of my favorite bands. It's strange b/c i hated them at first, but the more I listened the more I loved their stuff. Any other fans here?

Also, I know that they have a very unique sound, but are there any other bands that are remotely similar or that anyone could suggest to me since I like K.O.L.? I love finding new stuff to listen to!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 PM
I don't know why they got so much hate thrown at them in this forum - probably because they were loud and scary to a lot of U2 fans but I enjoy them from time to time.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
She's the One

Local Time: 03:51 PM
I really like their albums. They opened for Bob Dylan and sounded much better and more confident than when they opened for U2.

However, the new stuff they played sounded a little, well, mellower than the old stuff. I wasn't sure I liked it. We'll see what happens when any new record comes out.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Fabulous band, probably my favourite around at the moment. Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be this spring.

They do have a very unique sound. Calebs husky voice is is excellent i think, although not to everyones taste. I've heard a couple of the new songs and they do seem a bit slower than normal but i like that because they're progressing and they can't just be lumped in with every other indie band that is flavour of the month for a short period then dissapears back to obscurity. Matt's guitar work on one of the songs is excellent (although i can't tell you the name of the song because it's from some bootleg recorded in chicago and goes by the rather unhelpful name of 'New Song').
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

They had a decent debut album, but a really excellent follow-up...they progressed quite a bit in such a short period of time...my favourite song is 'Milk' which I don't think many people have ever agreed with me on
Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
They had a decent debut album, but a really excellent follow-up...they progressed quite a bit in such a short period of time...my favourite song is 'Milk' which I don't think many people have ever agreed with me on
Milk is

to you sir!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Why think you sir!

Anyway I will be interested in how the new album turns out, honestly I can see these guys being around for a good long while, just have a feeling they can keep changing things up....it was probably handy that they were never really brought up with music except hymns and church music, everything is still very new to them and they aren't reliant on any musical preconceptions in making their own music.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I don't know why they got so much hate thrown at them in this forum - probably because they were loud and scary to a lot of U2 fans but I enjoy them from time to time.

I don't like their down-tempo stuff, but their faster songs are a lot of fun. The Bucket? Molly's Chambers? Awesome!

But they were a little hard on the ears in the indoor arenas on the tour, I have to admit.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Fabulous band, probably my favourite around at the moment. Can't wait for the new album, supposed to be this spring.

They do have a very unique sound. Calebs husky voice is is excellent i think, although not to everyones taste. I've heard a couple of the new songs and they do seem a bit slower than normal but i like that because they're progressing and they can't just be lumped in with every other indie band that is flavour of the month for a short period then dissapears back to obscurity. Matt's guitar work on one of the songs is excellent (although i can't tell you the name of the song because it's from some bootleg recorded in chicago and goes by the rather unhelpful name of 'New Song').

Good to hear that someone agrees with me...

Where did you get a chance to hear some of their new songs? Is there anywhere that I can find a way to listen to them? I'm really looking forward to hearing their new album.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I think they're awesome. I just have one album though.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I think they're awesome. I just have one album though.
Which album? You should really listen to both of them. they're fantastic. Also, get the song "Wicker Chair"... one of my favorites.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by bigloader

Good to hear that someone agrees with me...

Where did you get a chance to hear some of their new songs? Is there anywhere that I can find a way to listen to them? I'm really looking forward to hearing their new album.
My mate sent me them over MSN but i'm back at uni now and the new songs are on my computer at home. They might be floating about on limewire (i haven't checked though).

I saw them live 3 times in 2005 and they were ace every time, especially at the Reading Festival. I've got big hopes for the new album, i know it's called 'Because Of The Times'. The future is bright for them cos the drummer Nathan is the only one who's over 25 i think so they've got many more years left in them. Bono even said that one day it might be U2 supporting KOL!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bigloader

Which album?
Youth & Young Manhood

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser

My mate sent me them over MSN but i'm back at uni now and the new songs are on my computer at home. They might be floating about on limewire (i haven't checked though).

I saw them live 3 times in 2005 and they were ace every time, especially at the Reading Festival. I've got big hopes for the new album, i know it's called 'Because Of The Times'. The future is bright for them cos the drummer Nathan is the only one who's over 25 i think so they've got many more years left in them. Bono even said that one day it might be U2 supporting KOL!
I would really like to hear what the new ones sound like. My curiosity is piqued. Would you happen to know the titles of any of them?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One of them is called "I'm on call". That's the only one that i know the title of. Like i said earlier, one of my fave's doesn't have a title as of yet.

In any case i'm not too bothered about hearing any more as it could spoil the enjoyment of the album when it comes out.