King Kong- Makes Grown Men Cry - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 AM
Kong can't throw either.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Old 12-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

I thought it was too long, in the middle I found myself nodding off a few times- but I was tired too.

The special effects are amazing, I don't want to ruin it for anyone but when they get to the island it is mind blowing. Parts are very gross too. It is not for small kids, I was scared in parts so I think they would be too.

Adrien Brody, eh wasn't feeling it. Jack Black, I don't know what it is about him but I find him riveting on screen, just like I did in School Of Rock. He can even make a 25 ft ape believable, and he is just so entertaining . Naomi Watts looks beautiful, and does a decent job.

It's not LOTR of course, it is what it is. I didn't cry but a few times I felt I might be on the verge. So I'd say it's very good escapism from holiday stress or whatever. It's visually stunning.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

the weather was also bad the last couple of days in many parts of the country, maybe that has something to do w/ it

BY ROBERT DOMINGUEZ
NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Naomi Watts stars in 'King Kong.'
"King Kong" isn't the king of the box office - yet.

Director Peter Jackson's $207 million remake of the 1933 classic didn't even break the $10 million mark in its first day in theaters.

Opening early Wednesday morning, "Kong" earned $9.7 million in 3,567 theaters nationwide - making it the 21st-best Wednesday opening.

"Spider-Man 2," which holds the record for best Wednesday, made $40 million when it debuted in June 2004.

Universal Studios, "Kong's" distributor, had no comment. But industry analysts expect business to pick up considerably over the weekend.

The grosses "are not up there with some of the lofty expectations, but the bulk of the audience will be coming out on Friday and Saturday," said Gitesh Pandya, editor of boxofficeguru.com.

"Unlike some movies like the 'The Lord of the Rings' [trilogy], there's not much of a built-in audience that needs to see it the first day. There's tons of business ahead for 'Kong.' "

"Titanic," the top-grossing movie of all time with $1.8 billion in ticket sales worldwide, didn't fare particularly well initially, either. It only took in $28.6 million in 2,674 screens during its opening weekend in December 1997.

Box office analyst Paul Dergarabedian said part of the blame for "Kong's" less-than-record-breaking numbers is its lengthy running time - three hours and seven minutes.

"It is a long movie, and that limits the number of showings per day," said Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations.

"But this is a movie that's going to be around a while, and as the buzz builds, so will the audience."
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

The other major reason is that school isn't out for vacation yet. Kong was released about a week earlier than the LOTR movies, and that is why it's Wednesday numbers are lower.

This movie is still going to be tremendous, despite its length.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

it was down 35 % Thursday from Wednesday
Old 12-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #67
Refugee

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
it was down 35 % Thursday from Wednesday
That's actually very promising. Usually Wednesday openers drop 45% to 55% from Wednesday to Thursday. That helps prove that people did not feel the need to see a three hour movie on a weekday. I am really excited to see it but bought Saturday tickets just because it is so damn long and I need to eat, sleep and go to work.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 AM
I agree with MrsS--it was too long. But I enjoyed it. The guy I went with cried twice but I didn't come close.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
The guy I went with cried twice
why can't I find a guy like that?

it's pretty damn pathetic when a 25 foot computer generated ape is more romantic than the men you (meaning me) know
Old 12-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I didn't cry - I cried all three times I saw Rent - but I was very moved by Kong, Brody, and Watts... Jack Black made me want to break things, but in such a wonderful way. I loved this movie. Probably my third favorite this season, behind Walk the Line and Rent
Old 12-19-2005, 09:15 AM   #71
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:02 AM
It was very entertaining but way too long. I don't think I'd watch it again for a very long time.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 06:02 AM
I liked it, but as others have said, it's too long.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #73
Refugee

Yeah, way too long. Jackson just should have a made a b-movie adventure, instead of attempting to make an epic out of a monster movie. That said, everything on the island was fantastic.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:01 PM   #74
Refugee

Titanic SUCKED (except for the brilliant effects).
King Kong is a legendary film that is now being brought back by a legendary director. Period.
P.S. If you want to see something more artsy go see Philip Seymore Hoffman in "Capote". Amazing.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:37 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

there is no way this breaks titanic's record. i just got back from seeing it and everybody leaving the theater was saying it was way too long. and im sorry, but what is sad about this film? i hate leonardo di crapio, but him dying is a lot sadder than a giant killer ape dying.

this ape killed hundreds of people, and we're supposed to be sad when it dies? please, i was cheering.