Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #586
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
There, it's sent. Don't stand a chance, but fuck I'd love that job.

Now I can sleep...

Seeya dudes
Wow, that was bizarre. Literally just as you made that post, I got your e-mail with the thing to proofread. I was wondering where you'd got to. And it's timestamped for some 50 minutes ago ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #587
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Man, that's really a tough one.

The Rest Will Flow and Lazarus immediately come to mind, but then earlier stuff like Fadeaway is beautiful in its own way.
The Rest Will Flow is a great song.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #588
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Man, that's really a tough one.

The Rest Will Flow and Lazarus immediately come to mind, but then earlier stuff like Fadeaway is beautiful in its own way.
Lazarus feels like a cliched pick, so I'm not going to use that one. I adore The Rest Will Flow ... though I think I've used it before.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #589
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

That reminds me. The song is called The Moon Touches Your Shoulder. I also noticed on your DI list that you used SOYCD I-VII, not I-V as the tracklist said.

/2:30amsleepdeprivednitpick

The Moon Touches Your Shoulder is definitely one I'm considering. I'm not going to use Stop Swimming, as it's fairly depressing and that's not at all the mood I'm going for. Maybe I should do something radical and not use a PT song at all! SW's already there twice anyway - not that you hear his voice on either track and it'll be interesting to see if anyone guesses which are the SW tracks.
You know what's really beautiful? Truenorth from the new No-Man album. Have you listened to that yet? It's gorgeous.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #590
Vocal parasite

Quote:

You know what's really beautiful? Truenorth from the new No-Man album. Have you listened to that yet? It's gorgeous.
No, I haven't. I downloaded the previous No-Man album and didn't like it so I was kind of put off checking out other recent stuff, and I've had trouble finding the earlier stuff. I have the Days In The Trees EP and love it. Mahler is guaranteed to be on my DI V submission.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #591
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No, I haven't. I downloaded the previous No-Man album and didn't like it so I was kind of put off checking out other recent stuff, and I've had trouble finding the earlier stuff. I have the Days In The Trees EP and love it. Mahler is guaranteed to be on my DI V submission.
I actually haven't listened to anything else by No-Man. I saw that a new album was coming out and decided to start with that.

I don't know what the past albums are like, but I really enjoyed this new one, and Truenorth is an epic, over 12 minutes long and beautiful use of strings.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #592
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I actually haven't listened to anything else by No-Man. I saw that a new album was coming out and decided to start with that.

I don't know what the past albums are like, but I really enjoyed this new one, and Truenorth is an epic, over 12 minutes long and beautiful use of strings.
What's it like stylistically? Together We're Stranger is quite ambient, and Tim Bowness's voice bugged me in that context. But he works well on the Days In The Trees EP.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #593
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Lazarus feels like a cliched pick, so I'm not going to use that one. I adore The Rest Will Flow ... though I think I've used it before.
I see what you're saying regarding Lazarus. It's starting to get that bit of an overused feeling associated with it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #594
Vocal parasite

Quote:

I see what you're saying regarding Lazarus. It's starting to get that bit of an overused feeling associated with it.
Yeah, it seems to be that one PT track that's most likely to show up in lists made by people who aren't serious PT fans.

I must admit, I'm tempted to use Nine Cats, to add something a bit whimsical.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #595
Vocal parasite

Right, I'm out. Have a good one, folks.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #596
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

What's it like stylistically? Together We're Stranger is quite ambient, and Tim Bowness's voice bugged me in that context. But he works well on the Days In The Trees EP.
Oh, it's definitely mellow. Lots of piano, acoustic guitar, and yes, ambient in some cases. But it also has a harder edge at times, like with Pigeon Drummer, which actually rocks out.

It's actually quite atmospheric. I think you may enjoy it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #597
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Yeah, it seems to be that one PT track that's most likely to show up in lists made by people who aren't serious PT fans.

I must admit, I'm tempted to use Nine Cats, to add something a bit whimsical.
Footprints could be a possibility, too.

Have a good night.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #598
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
So for the genre introduction of first wave prog rock I think I am going to try to use examples of long songs that really needed to be that long. I hope to get people used to listening to a longer song. Do you guys think that is a good idea?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #599
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
So for the genre introduction of first wave prog rock I think I am going to try to use examples of long songs that really needed to be that long. I hope to get people used to listening to a longer song. Do you guys think that is a good idea?
Depends on the song.

There is, however, a stereotype associated with prog rock that stems with the first wave - that it is all long songs with drawn out solos that go on forever, and while this is the case some of the time, it is not what happens ALL the time. So while a long song would be ok, I think some shorter pieces that show the diversity of the genre might be needed as well.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #600
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Depends on the song.

There is, however, a stereotype associated with prog rock that stems with the first wave - that it is all long songs with drawn out solos that go on forever, and while this is the case some of the time, it is not what happens ALL the time. So while a long song would be ok, I think some shorter pieces that show the diversity of the genre might be needed as well.
Any ideas for shorter peices?

Tags
superthread