Kholat Syakhl, Russia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

"I can't live the buttoned down life like you, Marge! I want it all! The dizzying highs! The terrible lows! The creamy middles!..."

</half-remembered simpsons quote>

creamy middles :laugh:

Axver said:

Now when are you going to get out the pitchfork and hunt me down for what I said about Born To Run? :wink:

Meh...I know he's not your style, so not really too surprised. I think part of the reason you don't connect with him is because the music and lyrics are deep in Americana, for lack of a better term...

I was disappointed that Ian, the supposed Simpsons freak, messed up a quote earlier while I wasn't around to correct him. :tsk:

It should have been: "And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, because that's the kind of man I am."

Galeongirl said:

told ya I'd get you back when you least expected it :evil:

:laugh:

Just when I thought my evening was descending into essay-induced boredom too!

phanan said:

Meh...I know he's not your style, so not really too surprised. I think part of the reason you don't connect with him is because the music and lyrics are deep in Americana, for lack of a better term...

Yeah, I just do not connect with the lyrics. They're generally well-written, but they don't resonate with me - and another issue is that I just don't think he enunciates clearly enough. I'll give another album or two a try though.

And some of the music really does seem overdone, like the songs would be better served if they were just straight-up rock with guitar, bass, drums, and nothing else.

Alisaura said:

"evening" he says, at 1.30am... :yawn:

It's not late until it's past 2am. :wink:

So I've got half an hour to proofread this essay and write a conclusion before going to sleep ...

Alisaura said:
wanna proofread my job app instead? :D

Like I know anything about how job applications should be written! :lol:

But I can help for spelling and grammar at least ...

Axver said:

Yeah, I just do not connect with the lyrics. They're generally well-written, but they don't resonate with me - and another issue is that I just don't think he enunciates clearly enough. I'll give another album or two a try though.

And some of the music really does seem overdone, like the songs would be better served if they were just straight-up rock with guitar, bass, drums, and nothing else.

With Born To Run, he clearly set out to create this "big sound", piling on the instruments. Darkness On The Edge Of Town, which followed, is more guitar driven.

And Nebraska is the acoustic record, with just him on guitar and harmonica.

But you most likely won't connect very strongly with either of those, either...

And switching gears back to PT for a moment, I've decided that, while I like Moonloop a lot, it just makes The Sky Moves Sideways a bit too long. They should've had Stars Die included, and then on the bonus disc, put the entire 40 minute version of Moonloop there, along with the alternate Sky Moves Sideways.

What a fantastic 2CD set that would've been (although it's still excellent as is).

Varitek said:

yeah the password protection and allowing users to add/delete is cool

http://www.eatlime.com/ is fast - allows the recipient to start dling while you're still uploading!

As Axver stated previously, it's really a shame that OINK is gone. An official site like that one for a monthly fee would go a long way in solving the music business' problems.

phanan said:

As Axver stated previously, it's really a shame that OINK is gone. An official site like that one for a monthly fee would go a long way in solving the music business' problems.

A legal Oink would threaten their current business model and require some very creative thinking. It would also probably require record companies to co-operate. And I think the current crop of executives are simply out of touch with this, and comfortable with the business model they have. Hence the RIAA fights the tide and nobody creates a legal Oink.

phanan said:
With Born To Run, he clearly set out to create this "big sound", piling on the instruments. Darkness On The Edge Of Town, which followed, is more guitar driven.

And Nebraska is the acoustic record, with just him on guitar and harmonica.

But you most likely won't connect very strongly with either of those, either...

I'll definitely give Darkness On The Edge Of Town an Nebraska a listen, then. I mean, surely if I can connect with music as diverse as U2's October, Norwegian black metal, British prog rock, and the Dunedin Sound, then it isn't a totally lost cause!

Axver said:

A legal Oink would threaten their current business model and require some very creative thinking. It would also probably require record companies to co-operate. And I think the current crop of executives are simply out of touch with this, and comfortable with the business model they have. Hence the RIAA fights the tide and nobody creates a legal Oink.

Absolutely. The profits of the old days are gone, and they need to get in touch with reality and embrace change. If they worked together and created a site like that, for a monthly fee, plus generating revenue through advertising and marketing, they'd still be quite alright. Will it be the same as before? No, but it's not going to be that way again anyway, so why not move forward?

phanan said:
And switching gears back to PT for a moment, I've decided that, while I like Moonloop a lot, it just makes The Sky Moves Sideways a bit too long. They should've had Stars Die included, and then on the bonus disc, put the entire 40 minute version of Moonloop there, along with the alternate Sky Moves Sideways.

What a fantastic 2CD set that would've been (although it's still excellent as is).

So what happens to the Improvisation and Coda in that case?

Speaking of PT... :shifty:

I really don't mean to be picking on them but I'm not a fan of these lyrics either...

i simply am not here no way i
shut up be happy stop whining please

Of course musically, the song blows away anything in it's path! :rockon:

phanan said:

Absolutely. The profits of the old days are gone, and they need to get in touch with reality and embrace change. If they worked together and created a site like that, for a monthly fee, plus generating revenue through advertising and marketing, they'd still be quite alright. Will it be the same as before? No, but it's not going to be that way again anyway, so why not move forward?

In the next few years, they are really going to have to come to terms with this. We're now seeing bands achieving success online, without the record companies. The Internet hasn't proved to be the death of music as their scaremongering has said; in fact, I think it has been fantastic for music. People are listening to more and creating more. I am increasingly thinking that record companies may become a relic of the past, and those web designers who have the initiative to capitalise on online music will do the best.

I can imagine sites signing bands and giving them distribution and exposure online in a way a simple band website hosting files never could. Imagine something like Oink, with 1,000 bands signed to it, making their music available there rather than through traditional record companies. That would be revolutionary.

Zootlesque said:

I really don't mean to be picking on them but I'm not a fan of these lyrics either...

I've always been glad that I can't really understand that and it sounds more like syllables blurring together.

phanan said:

Well, they are both part of the 40 minute version, more or less, so would they be needed?

Unless you just had Moonloop as its own release with all versions, like Voyage 34.

I feel it's nice to have the smaller, more manageable chunks, as the 40 minute thing isn't something I'm going to play just on a whim. But then, this is what we have PT's 10,000 limited releases for. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

I actually think those lyrics were done that way on purpose, as if the person in the song is slowly going crazy and the lyrics are becoming inaudible.

Axver said:
I can imagine sites signing bands and giving them distribution and exposure online in a way a simple band website hosting files never could. Imagine something like Oink, with 1,000 bands signed to it, making their music available there rather than through traditional record companies. That would be revolutionary.

This would be an excellent idea.

Axver said:

I feel it's nice to have the smaller, more manageable chunks, as the 40 minute thing isn't something I'm going to play just on a whim. But then, this is what we have PT's 10,000 limited releases for. :wink:

I'd buy a limited release of the complete Moonloop, with all takes and edits included and remastered. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom