Kardinia Park, Geelong, Victoria, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's the semi-final in a few hours. My first rugby memory that I can definitively link to the World Cup is of Jonah Lomu absolutely destroying England (including THAT try when he steamrollered Mike Catt) in the 1995 semi-final. That, sadly, is the last time we won a World Cup semi. I'm understandably nervous today.

"THAT try", by the way, being the first of these four:

jonah lomu - YouTube

I think the first time I really saw something I liked from any rugby code was when you showed me this three or so years ago. SO fucking amazing. He just doesn't give a shit.

Wish the Wallabies gave a shit tonight, bit boring after the first twenty minutes.

Can't be bothered posting in FYM because I'm drunlk, but... the LRA are horrible, but what are American troops going to make of having to shoot children?

Wish the Wallabies gave a shit tonight, bit boring after the first twenty minutes.

I don't know about that - you didn't even need to change channels to watch the Quade Cooper Comedy Hour.

Can't be bothered posting in FYM because I'm drunlk, but... the LRA are horrible, but what are American troops going to make of having to shoot children?

It sounds like they're in more of an advisory/assistance capacity? As long as it doesn't blow up into another Somalia ...

So after arguing for ages about whether or not Achtung Baby is remastered or not, and finally settling that it is, EYKIW now thinks it's not?

Aaahahaha. God I'm glad I'm not buying this shit. I bet they just remastered One and said "fuck it" to the rest.

Word to Axver: listen to The Great Annihilator by Swans. It's like early 80s post-punk Cure and Nick Cave at his most goth, mixed with drone and post-rock ("Warm," one of my favorites of theirs). The album came out in 1995, so it's an early example of those latter two genres, but you can certainly perceive them. I don't think it's their best album, but I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it. It's slowly won me over.

Word to Axver: listen to The Great Annihilator by Swans. It's like early 80s post-punk Cure and Nick Cave at his most goth, mixed with drone and post-rock. The album came out in 1995, so it's an early example of those latter two genres, but you can certainly perceive them. I don't think it's their best album, but I see absolutely no reason why you wouldn't enjoy it. It's slowly won me over.

I prefer Children Of God, myself.

I adore White Light from the Mouth of Infinity unabashedly. Couldn't categorize that album if I tried, but it's essential for everyone.

Haven't heard Children of God or Soundtracks for the Blind yet, but I'll listen to those soon. The latter is just so long I can never find the time to sit down and listen to it.

I've only got Children Of God. It's good but hadn't yet inspired me to listen to more. Shall do upon your recommendation though, Traviud.

By the way, LM, the new album by The Bats? I didn't think they had an album this good still in them. Check it out.

By the way, LM, the new album by The Bats? I didn't think they had an album this good still in them. Check it out.

I saw your review and it piqued my curiosity. Disappointing that it only has 3 ratings at the moment, but that's 2 more than some of your favs I'm sure.

Haha. Well, it's partly because it only came out yesterday in New Zealand and not until next week in most other places. I got it early at their Melbourne gig on Friday. It also seems bloggers aren't too interested in uploading it, even though there was a stream of it last week on the New Zealand Herald's website! I hope it gets good ratings when more people hear it though; it really is better than I thought it could be.

What Bats albums have you heard anyway? You need Fear Of God if you haven't got it; some classic Bats songs on there.

Crack open a bottle of something to justify the hungover sensation? :wink:

Haha. Well, it's partly because it only came out yesterday in New Zealand and not until next week in most other places. I got it early at their Melbourne gig on Friday. It also seems bloggers aren't too interested in uploading it, even though there was a stream of it last week on the New Zealand Herald's website! I hope it gets good ratings when more people hear it though; it really is better than I thought it could be.

What Bats albums have you heard anyway? You need Fear Of God if you haven't got it; some classic Bats songs on there.

I haven't heard anything except for the terrific Daddy's Highway. Do you think I should hear Fear of God first or does it not matter?

First sick day of the year, and I feel like I have a hangover! Haven't had a drop of alcohol in weeks.

Food Poisoning sucks!

I drink more than a Superthread regular? What has become of my life?! :panic:

Feel better, Daniel.

I haven't heard anything except for the terrific Daddy's Highway. Do you think I should hear Fear of God first or does it not matter?

The Bats have always been quite consistent, so it doesn't matter too much. Most Bats fans rate Fear Of God and Daddy's Highway as their top two though, so it's probably a good place to go next. Silverbeet is also incredibly under-rated, and The Law Of Things has a couple of sensational tracks, including possibly my favourite Bats song, Time To Get Ready.

I'd probably rate their albums thusly:

1. Daddy's Highway
2. Silverbeet
3. Fear Of God
4. Free All The Monsters (the new one)
5. The Law Of Things
6. Couchmaster
7. The Guilty Office
8. At The National Grid

If any of you know a young girl who has been concussed through sport, who lives anywhere around Melbourne, please let me know asap.

Aw, come on, cobbler, you don't have to lower your standards that far.

found one, against all the odds.

not liking the stress of the newsroom.

reggo, my standards are much, much lower. any hint of a pulse/breathing will do me.

I was going to say, if you were desperate, Charlotte presumably has some horse-riding war stories.

Do you have much freedom to find your own stories, or are you just at the take-what-you're-given stage?

Say a guy hypothetically wanted to write some editorials, opinion pieces, that sort of freelance thing, how hard would it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom