Joy Division - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #31
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
I do think Joy Division have become too trendy and you get people who love them to try and look musically smart.. it cheapens the music.

..but I'm sure there's none of that here.

I definately don't get how people can like so much of their music. LWTUA, Digital, 24 Hours, Transmission, She's Lost Control, Atmosphere, Ceremony... all great songs but beyond that I'm pushed to think of any. The rest seem a bit too miserable, a bit too poorly produced and just average.

Here's a mind blowing idea for you to consider.....everyone has different tastes!!!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #32
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 12:03 PM
JESUS!

"I do think"

"I'm sure"

"I definately don't get"

"I'm pushed"

Heres a mindblowing idea for you to consider, I was just stating my opinions and views on their music, not once did I say that other peoples tastes were wrong or didn't exist.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #33
Blue Meth Addict

Good crap, calm down. I was repling specifically to your entire last paragraph. You apparently "dont get" how people like all of their work and think their music is mediocre. Others think that of New Order. Hence my comment.

While we're at it though, trendy? What an irrelevant and flat out juvenile thing to ever worry about. Joy Division has always had a cult following and been extremely highly rated. It's only to be expected that each generation is going to have their fair share of fans. Some of us really DO like them for the music. Whether or not somethign is or isnt "trendy" or "cool" is completely irrelevant.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #34
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

palace_hero: http://forum.interference.com/misc.p...=faq&page=5#31

In addition, if someone wishes to start a thread to appreciate a specific band or album, please be courteous and do not start a flame war or bash that band or album in that thread. If you dislike a band or album, you may start your own thread voicing your dislike for that band or album.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
While we're at it though, trendy? What an irrelevant and flat out juvenile thing to ever worry about. Joy Division has always had a cult following and been extremely highly rated. It's only to be expected that each generation is going to have their fair share of fans. Some of us really DO like them for the music. Whether or not somethign is or isnt "trendy" or "cool" is completely irrelevant.
Agreed. If I hear people I know talking about some band they love, I'll check them out. Sometimes I agree with them and wind up liking the band, too. And then sometimes I just don't agree. I've never been one to care about following trends or trying to be cool in regards to my musical tastes-I'm used to being the odd one out amongst friends in regards to what I listen to .

Angela
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 PM
^ Angela!

Quote:
Originally posted by reptile

Yes...but........
I'm not......
How can i....
Well.......
Let me quote Jack White. "I'm lonely, (but i aint that lonely yet)

Incidentaly i used to sing "Transmission" in my first band after i left high school.
And yes "LOve will tear us apart" is........magnificent
What do you mean, we're lovely!

PS Reptile, you're starting to remind me of someone I know in this Lizard Lounge city. This town ain't big enough for the both of us.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #37
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Edit: I'm not gonna argue with a moderator no matter how valid I feel my points are.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:04 AM   #38
Refugee

And popmofo, I do prefer New Order on the whole but they have an infinite number more crap songs than JD. Infact despite the difference in career span, JD isnt far behind NO in terms of top tunes. However, I prefer the New Order greats slightly more.

I think we're blessed to have such polar opposites in terms of musical sounds that are such great quality, by the same group of people, essentially.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #39
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero

I think we're blessed to have such polar opposites in terms of musical sounds that are such great quality, by the same group of people, essentially.
Good point.

I'm very interested in the movie Anton Corbijn is making about Joy Division, such an interesting and tragic story most people know nothing about. Apparently Deborah Curtis is working as co-producer on the movie. Looking forward to that.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #40
Refugee

Quote:

Good point.

I'm very interested in the movie Anton Corbijn is making about Joy Division, such an interesting and tragic story most people know nothing about. Apparently Deborah Curtis is working as co-producer on the movie. Looking forward to that.
Whilst we're on the subject, @ the Atmosphere video.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:03 PM
When I first showed up at work with a Joy Division compilation, my music-loving friend asked, "Has it changed your life yet?"

Excellent music, though I do find it has taken (and will continue to take) a while to grow on me.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #42
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
i can't wait to see that! i can think of some people who would make a very convincing ian curtis.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #43
War Child

Local Time: 06:03 AM
U2 should cover Love Will Tear Us Apart.
Joy Division Box set is the greatest purchase I've made in a while....
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Iskra
U2 should cover Love Will Tear Us Apart.
Joy Division Box set is the greatest purchase I've made in a while....
After Paul Young covered it sometime in the 80s, I think it was agreed that NOONE should cover this song again, whether or not U2 would do a good job of it or not. I don't think anyone could add to it.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #45
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl

After Paul Young covered it sometime in the 80s, I think it was agreed that NOONE should cover this song again, whether or not U2 would do a good job of it or not. I don't think anyone could add to it.
Actually, The Cure did a fantastic (though I do worship The Cure also) cover of it. But yes, they added nothing. It was just straight up The Cure covering 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. I'm pretty sure it was never on any official release, they did it for some radio show so I wouldnt worry/feel bad about looking for it online and downloading it if you're interested.