Jet? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-06-2004, 06:05 AM   #46
War Child
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
I saw Dave Graney play in a pub once. He hung around watching the football on TV for hours before his show, and signed a bunch of CDs afterward. He seemed like a smart and funny guy, quite pleasant to meet as well. But, you know, I still wouldn't claim it was the best show I ever saw.
I know, I didn't say Jet show was the best, I've seen many shows and The Wallflowers and Bruce Springsteen are at the top of my list. I still haven't seen U2 live.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #47
Local Time: 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Kieran McConville
Actually in my view very few bands can cut it live. To some extent I am ok with that as long as they're honest about it. I can appreciated studio recordings as good work in their own right.

I have to disagree here, I think that it is a very Australian thing for bands to be able to 'cut' it live, and especially if said band is a 'rock' band. For me it makes me quite upset when you see a band live and they are shithouse and especially in Jet's case, I was expecting them to be good live, as I wanted to know why all of this attention was so warranted, when a band clearly didn't sound that 'original'.

Over the last year I have seen live, countless Aussie artists including, The Whitlams, The Living End, The Waifs, John Butler Trio, Xavier Rudd, Zephyr Timbre, George, Machine Gun Fellatio and many, many Brisbane and Sunshine Coast based artists and I gotta say that all of them were exceptional live. Maybe I saw Jet on a bad night, but seriously, I was not alone in my dis-satisfaction with the gig and them. Australian music was bred out of performing live and doing it well, what would of happened to the careers of artists such as Midnight Oil, Hunters and Collectors and the Divnyls, to name but a few, in the hey day of Australian 'pub rock', had they not been good live?

I know that music evolves, but honestly I do think that a band should be able to 'cut it' live, because really, isnt that what music should be, once all of the gloss, money, producers, record companies etc. etc. are taken away, shouldnt a band be able to just play their instruments and do it well, especially if the band has been given heaps of praise and given the top spot on JJJs HOT 100........

anyway you get my drift, I am sure. And speaking of the hot 100 I am going this Thursday night to see Alex Lloyd (a previous #1 hot 100 artist) and as I have seen him live before, he is 'amazing' and why am I going to see hime live again? because he puts on a good show- nuff said....

oh and btw..I'm also seeing MGF on Friday night, cant wait

Old 06-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:48 AM
Well Ozaurora, I respectfully disagree. As I said earlier, the Sleepy Jackson are a good example. I've heard recordings of their live shows and they are pretty sloppy... BUT, there's always a but...

On record they are wonderful. Can't be helped. They just are. It's not a question of money or production. All it means is that somehow, they were able to create something that affects me. And that's a great thing.

Anyway, I don't draw such a distinction between 'rock' and 'not rock'. It's all a bit more blurred than that. Midnight Oil forged a great reputation live, but it's not as though they never explored studio production (eg. Blue Sky Mining). Is that cheating?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #49
Local Time: 12:48 PM
Originally posted by U2Kitten

That is exactly how I feel about DMB and VA! There have been so many good bands from VA who never made it outside their hometown bars or local radio stations, and this ugly fucker who can't sing only whines and his boring, nausea inducing music hit it big. I can't stand it
Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 PM   #50
Local Time: 12:48 PM
I like DMB.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:48 AM
I like DMB too and own several of their albums. I think their talent as musicians is obvious.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:12 AM   #52
The Fly
Local Time: 04:48 PM
I love Jet! Their first single that made them so big here in States practically rocks my socks off! We live in a time when boybands rule the earth, it's great to see some real rock and roll bands shower the airwaves with something different! Keep it rockin' guys!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:48 PM
actually, i don't like them so much
Old 06-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #54
Blue Meth Addict
Local Time: 11:48 AM
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
DMB: I think their talent as musicians is obvious.

100% agreed.