Jamie Sale & David Pelletier appreciation thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2002, 12:51 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Jamie Sale & David Pelletier appreciation thread

They skated perfectly tonight, they gave it all they've got. I think all Canadians can say that we are very proud of them and that in our hearts they are number one.

I'm sorry I always get a bit emotional when it comes to figure skating.

Old 02-12-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey, I'm not Canadian, but this was just wrong. I love figure skating and stuff like this makes me wonder sometimes why I even bother.

Anyways...here's to Jamie and David. To those moments when everyone in the crowd, back at home, and on the ice, KNEW it was their perfect moment.

Old 02-12-2002, 01:12 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 PM
I was a big Kurt Browning fan back in the day, I was going for these guys this time.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:39 AM   #4
Refugee

In Seattle, they just aired their program.
What a load of f***ing bulls***!
I was crying, I'm still wiping snot off my face.
They did absolutley nothing wrong, their program was flawless, I'd be pissed too.
Old 02-12-2002, 02:38 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 11:27 AM
I posted in the other thread, and I'll say it again here.

It's just bull***!
It's all over the news. The Canadian team was robbed of the gold medal. Total Bull!
I'm really mad about the judging. I love skating but this makes me rethink even being a fan of competitive skating. It all seems so totally wrong!
http://www.reuters.com/news_article....StoryID=588544
Old 02-12-2002, 08:51 AM   #6
Acrobat

Did anyone see their performance on Saturday night? Right at the end when he dropped her, I thought that was so cute, even though it was accidental. When they ran the tape in slow motion to show it again, you could see David mouthing the word fu**, after he dropped her. I think they did a beautiful job, they were robbed last night.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:16 AM   #7
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Mrs. Clayton, that is so cute!!! I too was a weepy mess. First I cried because their performance was so beautiful, and then I cried at the results. It wouldn't be so bad if this happened every year (well, actually yes it would), but every four? Who knows what will have happened to them by next time. And you can't even say "oh, well next time they'll be perfect and win", cuz that isn't even true!

By the way, I too am a huge Kurt Browning fan. He's married to one of the Principal Dancers at the National Ballet, and when I was at their Xmas party, he stood right beside me at the munchie stand, and I didn't say ANYTHING!!! (as usual).

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Edge (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old 02-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:27 PM
I watched that and reminded myself of why I don't like that sport.
I felt so bad Sale. I could not stand to watch her cry.
What an embarrassment for the Olympics.
It was great to see the pair's resolve though-they knew what they had done and nobody can rob them of that. There should be an asterisk beside that Russian pairs name in the history book, it should explain the East West divisions along which this sport seems to be judged.

Don't let what you can't get done get in the way of that which you can.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:27 PM
I didn't see it but I walked in the room just as they finished and my wife says they were robbed; concensus seems to agree, as I have not seen/heard anyone agree with the decision.

~U2Alabama
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 AM   #10
MacPhisto's serving wench

The Olympics are a sham. It's disgusting.

I figure skated as a kid...I've followed the sport ever since. From a technical standpoint, Sale and Pelltier won hands down. In fact, really, as Skikarlidze (the Russian guy) fell on his triple toe loop.

From an artistic standpoint:
I've seen Jamie and David skate Love Story at the World Championships, where they received 6.0 for artisitc presentation. Their performance at the Olympics was even better than that...better than what they did at the worlds. Was it too much to expect the same decent judging?
From an artisitc view, it was the most beautiful program I have ever seen. I cried for them....once the program was over, for the sheer joy of it, for them, being in love....and once they received their marks, for the sheer atrocity of it.

Love Story always did have a sad ending.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:21 AM   #11
Refugee

Eyes are still red and puffy, but onto what I was going to say....
This sport has always been like this, but never quite this bad. That's the problem when a sport isn't judged by a clock, but by judges. I still don't understand how they could get higher marks, yet not be ranked higher than the Russian pair. That sounds like an oxymoron to me...the judges essentially said "You skated better, you were better, but you're not worth first place" That's why I hate how they rank everyone now, that wasn't always done.
OK, getting too emotional now, off to PLEBA for my weekly therapy.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:21 AM   #12
MacPhisto's serving wench

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

Grrr....it won't link. Help!

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old 02-12-2002, 01:53 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Makes me wonder why I love figure skating, whether it's worth it...

The thing about this is that no one is really happy. The Russian pair didn't look really happy because they knew quite well they should have been second. It's not their fault--I love them as well, they are a wonderful pair. But they did not skate perfectly last night and however you rationalize it, Sale and Pelletier should have won.

I did wonder if Love Story was the right choice--don't hate me, but I can't help thinking that something heavier (like the Tristan and Isolde program they did last year, which I adored) would have been a better choice. But still--no excuse. Sad. I dunno, competitive sports kind of suck. ESPECIALLY when your life comes down to the decision of a nasty little panel of arbitrary people. I'm not a big fan of sport, figure skating is my favourite spectator sport. But I love and hate the Olympics. Love because there are bound to be many great, exciting and moving moments. Hate because it really doesn't draw the world together, it is all about nationalism in so many ways and how many medals YOUR country wins, and also that there can be total injustices like the one we saw last night.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T
Old 02-12-2002, 02:53 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Makes me wonder why I love figure skating, whether it's worth it...

The thing about this is that no one is really happy. The Russian pair didn't look really happy because they knew quite well they should have been second. It's not their fault--I love them as well, they are a wonderful pair. But they did not skate perfectly last night and however you rationalize it, Sale and Pelletier should have won.

I did wonder if Love Story was the right choice--don't hate me, but I can't help thinking that something heavier (like the Tristan and Isolde program they did last year, which I adored) would have been a better choice. But still--no excuse. Sad. I dunno, competitive sports kind of suck. ESPECIALLY when your life comes down to the decision of a nasty little panel of arbitrary people. I'm not a big fan of sport, figure skating is my favourite spectator sport. But I love and hate the Olympics. Love because there are bound to be many great, exciting and moving moments. Hate because it really doesn't draw the world together, it is all about nationalism in so many ways and how many medals YOUR country wins, and also that there can be total injustices like the one we saw last night.

Yep, that's it!

[This message has been edited by Mrs.Clayton (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old 02-12-2002, 04:31 PM   #15
*Stormy*

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

Grrr....it won't link. Help!

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 02-12-2002).]
Here's your pic girl- next time right click on the pic, then click properties and highlight the URL and paste it here with [IMG] and [/IMG] instead of url on the end and it will work ok? (What you were trying to post was actually the link to the story, you need to click on the pic and get its own addy)

Yes I agree they should have won and I wish them success in their future careers, amateur or professional.

------------------
"I was born a MacPhisto"

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 02-12-2002).]