It's all about drums...the grandmother drum - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:26 AM
It should be a great weekend...I have the opportunity to help quite a few people, young and old. That always makes me feel good.
Hip hop...I have a feeling the grandmother drum is very sacred, so I don't think you bang it, you listen.
There is a djembe troupe around here. Now they DO like you to bang their drums...and dance like no one is watching.

Where I grew up...this bit makes me sad , is a very very ancient male aboriginal initiation ground ( bora ring) It does not get the respect it deserves imho. I have done as much research about it as I can and discovered there would have been a community ring about 500 metres away from the male area, used by the women and children. It has long been defiled and built over.....so maybe this weekend will bring back some of the spirit. So much was lost when my forefathers declared war on the indigenous people of Australia..so much.
I'm looking forward to this.

Old 06-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:26 PM
whoever said instruments were like women in a way

Quote:
Originally posted by cass
Hip hop...I have a feeling the grandmother drum is very sacred, so I don't think you bang it, you listen.
Oh. I respect grandmother drum. So I wont bang it.

Still, I have the feeling the drum would like it.. maybe I am allowed to touch that instrument.

I will bang another one.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:26 AM
well fancy that...more girlpower, Aussie girlpower

Sue Fear, age 40, yesterday became the first Australian woman to climb Mount Everest. She also attained another record but I'm not sure of the detail, climbed 3 highest peaks?

I have a feeling I will meet Siraj and I wonder if she would accept a gift and what size her feet are? She wore her full ceremonial dress to her radio interview the other day, except for her moccassins. Her whole outfit is made of white leather, I forget which creature she said it was made from.It also includes celtic patterns, spirals in the decoration. She didn't wear her white moccassins as it had been raining and they have horrid sticky red soil around the Lismore area( well not horrid for growing things, horrid for staining clothes in the wet) I have a pair of beautiful brown elk hide knee-length moccassins that are laced up the side around old Amercian coins. Elk hide is a lot thicker and softer than any leather I have seen in Australia. Maybe they will fit her and she may like them. They are from her area too I think, the northeast.
They have a story...I'll tell it...one day.