Isabel be a commin' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:21 AM
Isabel be a commin'

Eyeing a major hurricane
9/14/2003 7:14 P.M.
John Desjardins, Senior Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Hurricane Isabel is packing sustained winds over 155 mph, keeping it on the threshold of a category 4/5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Whether Isabel is a strong category four or category five hurricane is irrelevant... the impacts of such a strong storm will be tremendous. Where Isabel will have an impact is the big question. It is still too early to pinpoint a location of landfall, but Isabel will likely have a significant impact on the East Coast by the middle of the week. While the hurricane is expected to weaken somewhat by Wednesday/Thursday, there is a good chance it will be a major hurricane with winds over 110 mph at landfall. Residents form the Carolinas to Long Island should already be making preparations for the potential impacts from Isabel. These preparations would include knowing the location of evacuation routes and local shelters, and stocking up on batteries, food, and potable water in the event of power outages.

Old 09-14-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Why do they give hurricanes names anyway? What is the point of this? Why not use this time wisely, and find out more about the weather?!?! Hurricane Andrew? Why would you name a hurricane Andrew? What, did it show up in a little crovat and a dickey, smelling of Polo, sipping a Perier' yelling "scurry scurry, Andy's here!" What do they call a tornado? Tornado... you get the message. They don't go Tornado Timmy's comming, flee! If they're gonna give a hurricane a name, why not give it a name that applies? Like Hurricane Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Or the next big one, Hurricane Hooooooly F**king Moses.
-Lewis Black

Old 09-14-2003, 09:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
all i know is that i am canceling my trip to the N.Carolina shore this week. i am supposed to be there for a few meetings late in the week. i don't feel like batteling a hurricane at all.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

all i know is that if i'm gonna have to buy supplies and board up the damn windows 'cause of this thing, i sure as hell better be getting a day off friday.

and after that stupid ass blackout we already had... if the power goes out from this hurricane for any extended period of time... oohhhhhh baby i'm gonna be one angry mofo
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
all i know is that it will not hit the GA coast.

best of luck headache.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:28 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
all i know is that if i'm gonna have to buy supplies and board up the damn windows 'cause of this thing, i sure as hell better be getting a day off friday.

and after that stupid ass blackout we already had... if the power goes out from this hurricane for any extended period of time... oohhhhhh baby i'm gonna be one angry mofo
*nods* you and me both....could be a 3 day weekend tho
Old 09-15-2003, 12:37 AM   #7
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 09:21 AM
i've been watching the hurricane on tv all week too...i hope it doesn't do a lot of damage no matter where it hits, but i don't see how that's avoidable. that thing looks massive on the satellite pictures.

i'm even getting concerned about my brother and sister-in-law in NYC if it goes further north which it might, and of course i'm concerned about all my u2 friends up and down the east coast too.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 AM   #8
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Why do they give hurricanes names anyway?
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/general/lib/reason.html

Reason to name hurricanes

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE , NOAA, National Weather Service

Experience shows that the use of short, distintive given names in written as well as spoken communications is quicker and less subject to error than the older more cumbersome latitude-longitute identification methods. These advantages are specially important in exchanging detailed storm information between hundres widely scattered stations, coastal bases, and ships at sea.

The use of easily remembered names greatly reduces confusion when two or more tropical storms occur at the same time. For example, one hurricane can be moving slowly westward in the Gulf of Mexico , while at exactly the same time anothe hurricane can be moving rapidly Northward along the Atlantic coast. In the past, confusion and false rumors have arisen when storm advisories broadcast from radio statio were mistaken for warning concerning an entirely different storm located hundreds of miles away.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Ugh, I hate hurricanes. If they hit the Gulf Coast Birmingham gets soaked and it's very ugly.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I'd an avid Weather channel watcher - when I see a hurricane that size it scares the hell out of me. good luck to East Coast Interlanders and their families. .I'll be ducking to avoid any schrapnel.

Mr. B.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:06 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

per the request of my manager i cancelled my meeting.

now how about throwing a hurricane party!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:09 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm way ahead of ya... me and my friend have already made plans for a hurricane party. after that, we're gonna cut down a tree and smash my friend's car in order to collect the insurance on the piece of crap, blamming it on the hurricane... no one heard that one, though...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

brilliant plan. i will do a toast tomorrow night in your honor.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:45 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

why thank you
Old 09-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Why do they give hurricanes names anyway? What is the point of this? Why not use this time wisely, and find out more about the weather?!?! Hurricane Andrew? Why would you name a hurricane Andrew? What, did it show up in a little crovat and a dickey, smelling of Polo, sipping a Perier' yelling "scurry scurry, Andy's here!" What do they call a tornado? Tornado... you get the message. They don't go Tornado Timmy's comming, flee! If they're gonna give a hurricane a name, why not give it a name that applies? Like Hurricane Jesus Christ on a Crutch! Or the next big one, Hurricane Hooooooly F**king Moses.
-Lewis Black
The best name for a hurricane was definitely Bob. Hurricane Bob. Now THAT'S threatening.

I want to have a hurricane party but I think we'll be just far enough away that all we'll get is some wind and torrential downpours I'll have to drive to work in.