Interference's Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to rent Zodiac when it comes out and definitely Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.

EV.2, you'll love Pan's Labyrinth. :up:

Lancemc said:
RDJR is the best. I always liked him a lot, even on Alley McBeal, but it went to a whole new level this year when I saw a big batch of his films (Zodiac, A Scanner Darkly, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, among others). I then realized he's easily one of my favorite working actors. :up:

You should check out a film called '1969' - it stars RDJR and a very young Keifer Sutherland(they're both like 18-ish). It was made in the late 80s, and it's about the summer of 1969. They're both hippy-ish, they're both done with high school, they're both trying to figure out what to do with their lives, and they both hate the Vietnam War. And they both do drugs, especially RDJR.

Zodiac was definitely the finest film of the year so far. I've been dying with anticipation for it to come out on DVD so I can see it again. It's long, serpentine in its narritive, riddled with FANTASTIC performances, gorgeous cinematography, beautifully shot murder scenes. And like I said, RDJR is the fucking man. Zodiac is easily Fincher's best film to date.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is just one of the most enjoyable films I've seen from the past couple years. It's probably the quintessential Downey performance. Just perfect for him. Val Kilmer steals the film though.

Zodiac was fucking phenomenal. I cannot wait to see it again.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a good movie that just missed being great....

ElevationU2, we disagree on The New World, it seems, but, good to find another Mallick fan out there. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
Zodiac's better than Se7en AND Fight Club?

I think I just sharted.

Apples and Oranges, LMP, Zodiac is all about substance, the others style....I like The Game by Fincher best, even though I know he's done better work...something about the concept just appeals to me...and it has.....Penn. :)

Lancemc said:

You can never have not enough Sean Penn.

spicoli.jpg

"Hey dude, let's party" -- Penn?

or

428MOVIEIAMSAM.jpg

"HI, THIS IS SAMMMM!" -- Penn?

He got shafted an Oscar for that movie because Denzel decided to play a badass. Penn in turn shafted Bill Murray in '04 because of Mystic River. :grumpy:

No spoken words said:

Apples and Oranges, LMP, Zodiac is all about substance, the others style....I like The Game by Fincher best, even though I know he's done better work...something about the concept just appeals to me...and it has.....Penn. :)

Well, I haven't seen Zodiac, so I'm sharting in delight. I should've clarified.

I can't bring myself to watch Zodiac...I think I've seen three movies about the Zodiac Killer in the last year alone, and none of them have been remotely interesting.

Fincher's Zodiac leaves interesting in the dust....wait a few months, then watch it...you'll be glad you did. He plays it all straight...no fiction.....he researched his ass off and even uncovered new evidence......really well acted.....see it, trust me.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Zodiac's better than Se7en AND Fight Club?

I think I just sharted.

I'd say so. Se7en is really a phenominal thriller. Nearly unmatched in that respect. But Zodiac is just so much more down-to-earth, and truly haunting because of it. But it's not really a thriller so much as study into the nature of obsession. Really a unique perspective for a "crime thriller" like this.

My biggest problem with Fight Club is how self-concious it is. It smacks of arrogance, and leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's still an incredibly-made film, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it matches Zodiac. I don't really know how to describe it. Zodiac is just such a natrual film experience. It doesn't have any pretenses of being a great film (like Fight Club and Se7en), it just is what it is, and it benefits all the more from it. There's a real organic flavor to it.

Lancemc said:

I'd say so. Se7en is really a phenominal thriller. Nearly unmatched in that respect. But Zodiac is just so much more down-to-earth, and truly haunting because of it. But it's not really a thriller so much as study into the nature of obsession. Really a unique perspective for a "crime thriller" like this.

My biggest problem with Fight Club is how self-concious it is. It smacks of arrogance, and leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's still an incredibly-made film, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it matches Zodiac. I don't really know how to describe it. Zodiac is just such a natrual film experience. It doesn't have any pretenses of being a great film (like Fight Club and Se7en), it just is what it is, and it benefits all the more from it. There's a real organic flavor to it.

As I said....Zodiac is Fincher's first film of substance...his others are about style...amazing style, but style nontheless.

You guys should really listen to this podcast (it's also on iTunes):

http://watchingthedirectors.com/

I really think you'd all enjoy it. The two people are very laid back and easygoing and have some great insight on the directors / their work.

They even answer fan-mail!

I'll be sure to check that out later LMP. :up:

Oh, and I'm reporting this post to the mods:
elevation2u said:

true that
:up:

You clearly altered my quote, thereby break the terms of service for this site, which you agreed to follow upon registration.

Enjoy your ban.

elevation2u said:
:angry:
sweet & lowdown
u turn
21 grams
the game
mystic river
dead man walking
thin red line
state of grace
casualties fo war
i am sam

Carlito's Way
At Close Range
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Colors
State of Grace (great film, Oldman and Penn and Ed Harris)
The Falcon and the Snowman
The Interpreter

No spoken words said:

Carlito's Way
At Close Range
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Colors
State of Grace (great film, Oldman and Penn and Ed Harris)
The Falcon and the Snowman
The Interpreter
Sweet and Lowdown

I'm really, really looking forward to Into The Wild, having read the book for sociology class couple years back, I just saw the trailer & all ready it looks like Penn has grown as a director.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TRn_m2vsnLM

:drool:

also glad to know someone else saw & enjoyed Sweet & Lowdown

Lancemc said:
:hyper:

The Quick and the Dead is on AMC.

That's a great movie, isn't it one of Russell Crowe's first American movies? Well, you can't beat Sam Raimi anyway.

Gene Hackman is one of my favorite actors :up:

Back
Top Bottom