Interference's Favorite Movies - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I think it would be cool if the series focused on the time in between Empire and Jedi...the Shadows Of The Empire stuff.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:45 AM
I'd like a mix of characters we know, and new ones. A young Lando, wandering around the galxy, stealing wallets and stealing hearts would be fantastic.

"Hey Chewbacca....still hanging out with this loser?"

Old 06-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #93
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Lando has to call everyone "Old Pirate" though.

Best idea ever: Young Han Solo (as blasphemous as it sounds, Young Indy wasn't that bad) with Papa Solo, aka Christopher Walken. I would shit my pants if that ever happened.

And nam, Shadows of the Empire is one of my favorite SW-related things ever. Maybe having a young Dash Rendar and Leebo? Reebo? show up in the Outrider would be cool.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

I am not too familiar with Star Wars-related books, except for the few I read by Timothy Zahn, which I think covered stuff that happened right after Jedi.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Another idea is that it could focus on really old Sith/Jedi history...stuff that happened before the prequels. Like, everything Sideous told Anakin about Darth Pageus and how he(Sideous) killed Pageus.....the series could could focus on how Pageus became a sith, on where Sideus is from and how Pageus found him, Sideous's training, and the eventual murder, etc. And it could also focus on how Yoda became the Jedi Master.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #96
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Shadows was amazing. It was a book, video game, comic, and had its own action figures.

I need to read Zahn's trilogy, I've heard it's like what VII, VIII, and IX would've been like.

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Another idea is that it could focus on really old Sith/Jedi history...stuff that happened before the prequels. Like, everything Sideous told Anakin about Darth Pageus and how he(Sideous) killed Pageus.....the series could could focus on how Pageus became a sith, on where Sideus is from and how Pageus found him, Sideous's training, and the eventual murder, etc. And it could also focus on how Yoda became the Jedi Master.
Yeah, definitely. The Star Wars Universe is so vast with great stuff, it's almost impossible to not make a good TV show out of it.

I'd like to see it focus on three things:
The last Jedi + Vader tracking them down
The rise of the Empire
Mercenaries/smugglers/bounty hunters/Jabba
Old 06-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

NSW, as someone who has only read the Timothy Zahn books and Shadows of the Empire I'm telling you...Go read Shadows of the Empire. I love that book...and the nintendo game
Old 06-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

The more Sith stuff it has, the happier I'd be.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
NSW, as someone who has only read the Timothy Zahn books and Shadows of the Empire I'm telling you...Go read Shadows of the Empire. I love that book...and the nintendo game
I didn't like the Zahn books all that much. I liked the idea behind it...and loved reading about these familiar characters.....but, it was just not all that well written, and, as a lover of books, it was disappointing.

Maybe I'll check out Shadows, but, if I do, it's on you if I do not enjoy it.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:41 AM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

I will take the blame

and I agree about the Zahn books, I never really understood the appeal they seemed to have. In fact, come to think of it, I never did finish the third book...i wonder how it ends
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 AM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Same here...never finished the 3rd one.

Glad you are willing to accept responsibility...good sign.

Cubs/Sox on Sunday for moi.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:21 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:45 AM
About Lost: I don't understand how people can say the show jumped the shark, got back on track, jumped again, etc. As it stands, with 3 seasons under its belt, everthing's beginning to come together, there's 3 seasons left, it's been a masterful run so far. The show's been pretty much mapped out since the get-go, so it can't have jumped the shark and gotten good again and shit like that. Either it's bad or it's good. Just saying. I don't care if people love or hate it, but it's been nothing if not consistent. I mean, yeah, some episodes are better than others, but this is basically an super-extended motion picture, not House or something like that.

[/rant]

Back to Star Wars. I've always defended Sith from the haters, but the praise here has been a little... exagerated. I know I'm in the minority saying Jedi is my favorite SW film, and even taking things objectively, there's no fucking way Sith can beat it. There's still just so much terrible bullshit in Sith, that the movie somehow miraculously manages to overcome. But there's almost nothing wrong with Jedi. I mean seriously. People bitch and moan about the Ewoks, but what's the big deal? I simply don't understand why people hate them so much. They aren't even in the film that much, plus they're actually likeable creatures as far as design goes. Can't say that for anything in the Prequels. Fucking Gungans. It's also funny how you guys were listing all the amazing things about Jedi (best this, best that, awesome this, basass that), then basically saying "But yeah it's not that awesome". Just sayin'.

There is so much to dislike about the prequels though. Even Sith. Anakin is never, EVER compelling at any point in the entire trilogy. Padme might as well have been played by a piece of plywood. I didn't think the Jedi slaughter was that great either. Such a missed opportunity there. And all the dialogue between Sidious and Yoda was just painful.

That said, Sith finally did get the action scenes right. Some of the best in the entire series in that film. Too bad everytime one of the character's opens their mouth it makes me want to pull out the DVD, burn it, and watch Empire instead. Also, if we're talking about wasted opportunities, how about Grievous being the most awesome/underutilized villain of all time? Fuckin A, George.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #103
Blue Crack Distributor

The thing for me about the prequels were this
Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn was just so amazing, the reason I love Liam Neeson today, but he was terribly overshadowed by the general cheesy-ness of the rest of the movie. That felt like a movie for little kids rather than a Star Wars movie
Clones - The thing about this one was, when I saw it, I really thought I liked it, but to this day I've only seen it one time.

Then Sith came, and I was obviously ready to be skeptical, the first two didn't leave much to be desired, and then it just blew me away, how much better it was than the other two. Add that to the superb acting of Ewan McGreggor (IMO) and that easily made it one of my favorite Star Wars movies, which is another reason why I have to redo this list, I don't have my Star Wars right. I have always loved ROTJ first, and then I think it's Sith, Empire, New Hope, Phantom, Clones

And NSW, You suck even more now for having seen TWO of the cross-town classic games...NWS, you're breaking my hear
Old 06-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #104
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
About Lost: I don't understand how people can say the show jumped the shark, got back on track, jumped again, etc. As it stands, with 3 seasons under its belt, everthing's beginning to come together, there's 3 seasons left, it's been a masterful run so far. The show's been pretty much mapped out since the get-go, so it can't have jumped the shark and gotten good again and shit like that. Either it's bad or it's good. Just saying. I don't care if people love or hate it, but it's been nothing if not consistent. I mean, yeah, some episodes are better than others, but this is basically an super-extended motion picture, not House or something like that.

[/rant]

Back to Star Wars. I've always defended Sith from the haters, but the praise here has been a little... exagerated. I know I'm in the minority saying Jedi is my favorite SW film, and even taking things objectively, there's no fucking way Sith can beat it. There's still just so much terrible bullshit in Sith, that the movie somehow miraculously manages to overcome. But there's almost nothing wrong with Jedi. I mean seriously. People bitch and moan about the Ewoks, but what's the big deal? I simply don't understand why people hate them so much. They aren't even in the film that much, plus they're actually likeable creatures as far as design goes. Can't say that for anything in the Prequels. Fucking Gungans. It's also funny how you guys were listing all the amazing things about Jedi (best this, best that, awesome this, basass that), then basically saying "But yeah it's not that awesome". Just sayin'.

There is so much to dislike about the prequels though. Even Sith. Anakin is never, EVER compelling at any point in the entire trilogy. Padme might as well have been played by a piece of plywood. I didn't think the Jedi slaughter was that great either. Such a missed opportunity there. And all the dialogue between Sidious and Yoda was just painful.

That said, Sith finally did get the action scenes right. Some of the best in the entire series in that film. Too bad everytime one of the character's opens their mouth it makes me want to pull out the DVD, burn it, and watch Empire instead. Also, if we're talking about wasted opportunities, how about Grievous being the most awesome/underutilized villain of all time? Fuckin A, George.
What killed me about Lost was they spent all of that time during Season 2 developing the characters from the other half of the plane, only to kill most of them. Even if the writers did have a grand plan, parts of the show have been excruciatingly boring or frustrating for the majority of people, including me.

About Jedi, it did so many things right but left much to be desired for me. I have never likes Luke and Leia being brother and sister, Ewoks bringing down the Empire (I mean what the fuck? Lucas throws out the Vietnam excuse, but they're getting their asses kicked until Chewbacca hijacks an AT-ST and starts kicking ass. Rocks and sticks are killing stormtroopers? Yeah, and the one guy who hit his head on the door in the Death Star got a concussion.) I also love how Han isn't in any way pissed at Leia after she and Luke talk, you know, for more than 5 seconds. And R2 basically blows up and it's played for laughs? What the hell? I really do think that Ewoks were an excuse to sell toys. Ironically, Sith used wookies to fight, and they kicked ass.

Jedi is a great movie, but I have too many gripes for it to be a classic like Star Wars or Empire. I really blame it on George Lucas ditching Gary Kurtz, one of the producers. He seemed to be a guy who kept Lucas kind of grounded on his ideas.

Now with Sith, it has the greatest acting of the prequel trilogy, which isn't saying much, but Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid absolutely own that movie. I love Natalie Portman, and to see her stuck with such a lame part made me want to cry along with her. People forget that Carrie Fisher had such horrible dialogue in the original trilogy. Go back and watch it with subtitles. She's not that great of an actress, but it seemed like she committed to saying that ridiculous stuff, whereas Natalie's like "I'd rather do Garden State 2 than this."

The last 45/50 minutes of Sith is probably as good as any stretch of the original trilogy, with the exception of "NOOOOOOOOOOO" and No Qui-Gon cameo, I would've loved that. How can you not get choked up when Obi-Wan screams "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!" That gets me almost every time.

But yes, Hayden Christensen must die. I wish Christian Bale would've gotten that part. Sure he wouldn't have been Batman, but man, he would've completely delivered as Anakin.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #105
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance, just to explain a bit:

Something you might find interesting is the fact that the Lost producers did not really have seasons 1-3 mapped out at the start. They had season 1 mapped out, and hoped to get renewed They've gone from there. This isn't a guess, it's fact, forget what you've read and trust me on that one particular thing. And, even when shows are mapped out, they can change mid-stream sometimes. For example, the 2 new characters introduced during season 3 were not meant to have small roles and to be killed 1/2 way through....but, viewer reaction was tepid at best, and they took it to heart and killed them off. Rememeber, everything's not in the can once the season starts, so, there's always time for changes.

Also, even if it were all mapped out, the execution of that plan was not always strong. You can have a great season arc but have missteps in the middle of it all. I loved the first 2 seasons, very much...but, season 3 started off with one strong episode, then slowly got less and less interesting....killing Echo did not help....spending too much time on Kate/Sawyer did not help, etc. Just my opinion here, of course. I found the new characters distracting and unnecessary, and, frankly, it felt like the show was floundering....they ignored Locke, Sayid, etc, people they'd spent so much time crafting and shaping for hte viewer. They got their act together after the hiatus, and I found the show more enjoyable for a bit. Then they finished extremely strong. So, did it really jump the shark in my mind? No, of course not, that's strong terminology....but, not all episodes are created equal and this season more than any of the others had a great variance, as I saw it, between the quality of its episodes. I'm glad it finished strong, I cannot wait to see if season 4 continues in the vein of how 3 ended, etc.

You make good Jedi/Sith points, but, sometimes a film is greater than the sum of its parts. Sith is that for me. I enjoy Jedi, I enjoy Sith, both have their merits and their faults...but I don't see the gap between them being anything but negligible.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, Lance.