Interference's Favorite Movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it would be cool if the series focused on the time in between Empire and Jedi...the Shadows Of The Empire stuff.

I'd like a mix of characters we know, and new ones. A young Lando, wandering around the galxy, stealing wallets and stealing hearts would be fantastic.

"Hey Chewbacca....still hanging out with this loser?"

Lando has to call everyone "Old Pirate" though.

Best idea ever: Young Han Solo (as blasphemous as it sounds, Young Indy wasn't that bad) with Papa Solo, aka Christopher Walken. I would shit my pants if that ever happened.

And nam, Shadows of the Empire is one of my favorite SW-related things ever. Maybe having a young Dash Rendar and Leebo? Reebo? show up in the Outrider would be cool.

I am not too familiar with Star Wars-related books, except for the few I read by Timothy Zahn, which I think covered stuff that happened right after Jedi.

Another idea is that it could focus on really old Sith/Jedi history...stuff that happened before the prequels. Like, everything Sideous told Anakin about Darth Pageus and how he(Sideous) killed Pageus.....the series could could focus on how Pageus became a sith, on where Sideus is from and how Pageus found him, Sideous's training, and the eventual murder, etc. And it could also focus on how Yoda became the Jedi Master.

Shadows was amazing. It was a book, video game, comic, and had its own action figures.

I need to read Zahn's trilogy, I've heard it's like what VII, VIII, and IX would've been like.

namkcuR said:
Another idea is that it could focus on really old Sith/Jedi history...stuff that happened before the prequels. Like, everything Sideous told Anakin about Darth Pageus and how he(Sideous) killed Pageus.....the series could could focus on how Pageus became a sith, on where Sideus is from and how Pageus found him, Sideous's training, and the eventual murder, etc. And it could also focus on how Yoda became the Jedi Master.

Yeah, definitely. The Star Wars Universe is so vast with great stuff, it's almost impossible to not make a good TV show out of it.

I'd like to see it focus on three things:
The last Jedi + Vader tracking them down
The rise of the Empire
Mercenaries/smugglers/bounty hunters/Jabba

NSW, as someone who has only read the Timothy Zahn books and Shadows of the Empire I'm telling you...Go read Shadows of the Empire. I love that book...and the nintendo game :drool:

bono_212 said:
NSW, as someone who has only read the Timothy Zahn books and Shadows of the Empire I'm telling you...Go read Shadows of the Empire. I love that book...and the nintendo game :drool:

I didn't like the Zahn books all that much. I liked the idea behind it...and loved reading about these familiar characters.....but, it was just not all that well written, and, as a lover of books, it was disappointing.

Maybe I'll check out Shadows, but, if I do, it's on you if I do not enjoy it. :)

I will take the blame :lol:

and I agree about the Zahn books, I never really understood the appeal they seemed to have. In fact, come to think of it, I never did finish the third book...i wonder how it ends :hmm:

About Lost: I don't understand how people can say the show jumped the shark, got back on track, jumped again, etc. As it stands, with 3 seasons under its belt, everthing's beginning to come together, there's 3 seasons left, it's been a masterful run so far. The show's been pretty much mapped out since the get-go, so it can't have jumped the shark and gotten good again and shit like that. Either it's bad or it's good. :shrug: Just saying. I don't care if people love or hate it, but it's been nothing if not consistent. I mean, yeah, some episodes are better than others, but this is basically an super-extended motion picture, not House or something like that.

[/rant]

Back to Star Wars. I've always defended Sith from the haters, but the praise here has been a little... exagerated. I know I'm in the minority saying Jedi is my favorite SW film, and even taking things objectively, there's no fucking way Sith can beat it. There's still just so much terrible bullshit in Sith, that the movie somehow miraculously manages to overcome. But there's almost nothing wrong with Jedi. I mean seriously. People bitch and moan about the Ewoks, but what's the big deal? I simply don't understand why people hate them so much. They aren't even in the film that much, plus they're actually likeable creatures as far as design goes. Can't say that for anything in the Prequels. Fucking Gungans. It's also funny how you guys were listing all the amazing things about Jedi (best this, best that, awesome this, basass that), then basically saying "But yeah it's not that awesome". :wink: Just sayin'.

There is so much to dislike about the prequels though. Even Sith. Anakin is never, EVER compelling at any point in the entire trilogy. Padme might as well have been played by a piece of plywood. I didn't think the Jedi slaughter was that great either. Such a missed opportunity there. And all the dialogue between Sidious and Yoda was just painful.

That said, Sith finally did get the action scenes right. Some of the best in the entire series in that film. Too bad everytime one of the character's opens their mouth it makes me want to pull out the DVD, burn it, and watch Empire instead. :wink: Also, if we're talking about wasted opportunities, how about Grievous being the most awesome/underutilized villain of all time? Fuckin A, George.

The thing for me about the prequels were this
Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn was just so amazing, the reason I love Liam Neeson today, but he was terribly overshadowed by the general cheesy-ness of the rest of the movie. That felt like a movie for little kids rather than a Star Wars movie
Clones - The thing about this one was, when I saw it, I really thought I liked it, but to this day I've only seen it one time.

Then Sith came, and I was obviously ready to be skeptical, the first two didn't leave much to be desired, and then it just blew me away, how much better it was than the other two. Add that to the superb acting of Ewan McGreggor (IMO) and that easily made it one of my favorite Star Wars movies, which is another reason why I have to redo this list, I don't have my Star Wars right. I have always loved ROTJ first, and then I think it's Sith, Empire, New Hope, Phantom, Clones

And NSW, You suck even more now for having seen TWO of the cross-town classic games...NWS, you're breaking my hear :sad:

Lancemc said:
About Lost: I don't understand how people can say the show jumped the shark, got back on track, jumped again, etc. As it stands, with 3 seasons under its belt, everthing's beginning to come together, there's 3 seasons left, it's been a masterful run so far. The show's been pretty much mapped out since the get-go, so it can't have jumped the shark and gotten good again and shit like that. Either it's bad or it's good. :shrug: Just saying. I don't care if people love or hate it, but it's been nothing if not consistent. I mean, yeah, some episodes are better than others, but this is basically an super-extended motion picture, not House or something like that.

[/rant]

Back to Star Wars. I've always defended Sith from the haters, but the praise here has been a little... exagerated. I know I'm in the minority saying Jedi is my favorite SW film, and even taking things objectively, there's no fucking way Sith can beat it. There's still just so much terrible bullshit in Sith, that the movie somehow miraculously manages to overcome. But there's almost nothing wrong with Jedi. I mean seriously. People bitch and moan about the Ewoks, but what's the big deal? I simply don't understand why people hate them so much. They aren't even in the film that much, plus they're actually likeable creatures as far as design goes. Can't say that for anything in the Prequels. Fucking Gungans. It's also funny how you guys were listing all the amazing things about Jedi (best this, best that, awesome this, basass that), then basically saying "But yeah it's not that awesome". :wink: Just sayin'.

There is so much to dislike about the prequels though. Even Sith. Anakin is never, EVER compelling at any point in the entire trilogy. Padme might as well have been played by a piece of plywood. I didn't think the Jedi slaughter was that great either. Such a missed opportunity there. And all the dialogue between Sidious and Yoda was just painful.

That said, Sith finally did get the action scenes right. Some of the best in the entire series in that film. Too bad everytime one of the character's opens their mouth it makes me want to pull out the DVD, burn it, and watch Empire instead. :wink: Also, if we're talking about wasted opportunities, how about Grievous being the most awesome/underutilized villain of all time? Fuckin A, George.

What killed me about Lost was they spent all of that time during Season 2 developing the characters from the other half of the plane, only to kill most of them. Even if the writers did have a grand plan, parts of the show have been excruciatingly boring or frustrating for the majority of people, including me.

About Jedi, it did so many things right but left much to be desired for me. I have never likes Luke and Leia being brother and sister, Ewoks bringing down the Empire (I mean what the fuck? Lucas throws out the Vietnam excuse, but they're getting their asses kicked until Chewbacca hijacks an AT-ST and starts kicking ass. Rocks and sticks are killing stormtroopers? Yeah, and the one guy who hit his head on the door in the Death Star got a concussion.) I also love how Han isn't in any way pissed at Leia after she and Luke talk, you know, for more than 5 seconds. And R2 basically blows up and it's played for laughs? What the hell? I really do think that Ewoks were an excuse to sell toys. Ironically, Sith used wookies to fight, and they kicked ass.

Jedi is a great movie, but I have too many gripes for it to be a classic like Star Wars or Empire. I really blame it on George Lucas ditching Gary Kurtz, one of the producers. He seemed to be a guy who kept Lucas kind of grounded on his ideas.

Now with Sith, it has the greatest acting of the prequel trilogy, which isn't saying much, but Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid absolutely own that movie. I love Natalie Portman, and to see her stuck with such a lame part made me want to cry along with her. People forget that Carrie Fisher had such horrible dialogue in the original trilogy. Go back and watch it with subtitles. She's not that great of an actress, but it seemed like she committed to saying that ridiculous stuff, whereas Natalie's like "I'd rather do Garden State 2 than this."

The last 45/50 minutes of Sith is probably as good as any stretch of the original trilogy, with the exception of "NOOOOOOOOOOO" and No Qui-Gon cameo, I would've loved that. How can you not get choked up when Obi-Wan screams "YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!" That gets me almost every time.

But yes, Hayden Christensen must die. I wish Christian Bale would've gotten that part. Sure he wouldn't have been Batman, but man, he would've completely delivered as Anakin.

Lance, just to explain a bit:

Something you might find interesting is the fact that the Lost producers did not really have seasons 1-3 mapped out at the start. They had season 1 mapped out, and hoped to get renewed They've gone from there. This isn't a guess, it's fact, forget what you've read and trust me on that one particular thing. And, even when shows are mapped out, they can change mid-stream sometimes. For example, the 2 new characters introduced during season 3 were not meant to have small roles and to be killed 1/2 way through....but, viewer reaction was tepid at best, and they took it to heart and killed them off. Rememeber, everything's not in the can once the season starts, so, there's always time for changes.

Also, even if it were all mapped out, the execution of that plan was not always strong. You can have a great season arc but have missteps in the middle of it all. I loved the first 2 seasons, very much...but, season 3 started off with one strong episode, then slowly got less and less interesting....killing Echo did not help....spending too much time on Kate/Sawyer did not help, etc. Just my opinion here, of course. I found the new characters distracting and unnecessary, and, frankly, it felt like the show was floundering....they ignored Locke, Sayid, etc, people they'd spent so much time crafting and shaping for hte viewer. They got their act together after the hiatus, and I found the show more enjoyable for a bit. Then they finished extremely strong. So, did it really jump the shark in my mind? No, of course not, that's strong terminology....but, not all episodes are created equal and this season more than any of the others had a great variance, as I saw it, between the quality of its episodes. I'm glad it finished strong, I cannot wait to see if season 4 continues in the vein of how 3 ended, etc.

You make good Jedi/Sith points, but, sometimes a film is greater than the sum of its parts. Sith is that for me. I enjoy Jedi, I enjoy Sith, both have their merits and their faults...but I don't see the gap between them being anything but negligible.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth, Lance.

Fair enough. And I do understand the processes behind Lost. And I'm not trying to insist there weren't missteps along the way. It's just the overused "jumping the shark" phrase that pisses me off. "Jumping The Shark" would be if they royally fuck up the narritive come season 3, after what happened in the last episode. But I doubt that will happen. And a lot of the show is unfortunately left up to audience reaction. People bitch about these characters, so they kill them off, people beg for this, bitch about that, so the writers do their best to change events, chronologies, sub-plots, what have you, in order to keep their ratings from plummeting. Also, a lot of character deaths resulted from the actor's getting in trouble with the law and requesting to leave and unfortunately unavoidable stuff like that, which I'm sure you know about. Just saying. I sort of wish we had gotten the chance to see the writers' true, uninterrupted vision of the show. But I'm not complaining. I love the way this show is, and has been going all the way. :)

And about the Ewoks. They definitely didn't "bring down the Empire". Talk about hyperbole. They helped the ground crew hold off the stormtroopers long enough to disable the shield around the Death Star. The humongous fucking Rebel star fleet is what "brought down the Empire". :wink:

I also never had a problem with Luke and Leia being siblings. Just... never did. :shrug: Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

And what I meant to say earlier about the prequels... My biggest problem with them as an entire trilogy, nomatter how satisfying Sith turned out to be, was that they were always completely unnecessary. I mean, what was there in the story-arc of the prequels that really needed to be told? We definitely didn't need a 3-film examination on how Anikin became Vader. I mean, all the key points we had surmised from the OT anyway. And on top of that, Anakin's story-arc (the main one of the PT) was the most poorly-handled aspect of those films to begin with, even in Sith. We didn't need to get to know Padme either. Who really gave a fuck who Luke's mother was? All we ever needed to know was that she died young after Anakin turned to the Dark Side. Not to mention that her death in Sith flies in the face of the dialog in Jedi anyway.

You could argue the Clone Wars was worth seeing put to film, but they were better done with that awesome animated series anyway. In fact, the only unique storyline the PT introduced was Sidious' rise to power, which I found to be by far the most interesting aspect of the PT. But did we need 2 shitty, and one decent film to do that? I don't think so. :down:

Still, the ground battle is arguably the most important battle in the grand scheme of things of the 3 battles, and to me, it's almost completely ineffective. I can argue this 'til I'm red in the face, but it gave me an excuse to see Harrison Ford run. He's probably the least athletic action star ever, it's amazing.

Luke and Leia being brother and sister seems like a cop out to me, since she's the only girl other than 3PO in the trilogy anyway. It seemed way too forced for me.

I've argued the prequel trilogy is basically unnecessary, too, and that the rise of Palpy is also awesome. My ideal prequel would've had everything from Sith, more of the Clone Wars (what if Episode II was essentially all about fighting in the Clone Wars? Badass? Yes.)

I remember having an idea about Episode I the other day of it involving the Mandalorians coming out of nowhere causing trouble in the Republic, enter Naboo without Gungans, and the Jedi, including a 14/15-year-old Anakin and a badass, sort of rogue Obi-Wan (the way he spoke to Yoda in Empire, he made it sound like he was a little rogue and the failure of teaching Anakin shaped him into a wise Jedi? I don't know.) Anakin saves Queen Amidala, enter love story. What makes Naboo so special is that they have a special resource that can be used as the ultimate weapon, the Death Star, which had absolutely no value in the real prequel trilogy.

Maybe my idea sucks, but it's better than Episodes I and II already.

Sounds good. You'd think that if fucking Mandalorians started another conflict in the prequel era though, we would have at least heard something about it in the OT. :shrug:

Maybe that's what started the Clone Wars. The lack of a major military of the Republic spurs the creation of a Clone Army, one of the only things Episode II got right.

We really ought to rename this thread now, buckaroos.

But at least it convinced me to bust out the OT DVDs.

The Separatists defect and help the Mandalorians against the Republic, Palpy uses that to gain approval in the Senate for the use of the Clone Army.

Or Palpy has his apprentice, Maul (later Dooku), spearhead the Mandalorian attacks from Korriban, the Sith homeworld. So the Separatist conflict would be replaced by the Mandalorian conflict.

You want to just start a Star Wars thread? :wink:

I'm working on a list. This is hard!!! Especially just 25. I need a master list of movies so I can pick and choose. And at least two of them were on yesterday!!!

deep said:
Some of you have made some pretty good selections :up:

but some of these films are :yuck:

City of God
not on one list :huh:

and Memento only made one list, no 37
I liked Momento, but I preferred that film-maker's latest film, The Prestige.

I've heard great things about City of God. Seemed interesting, but my parents were getting annoyed so I returned it. Next time, I'll watch it on my own.

Lancemc said:
And what I meant to say earlier about the prequels... My biggest problem with them as an entire trilogy, nomatter how satisfying Sith turned out to be, was that they were always completely unnecessary. I mean, what was there in the story-arc of the prequels that really needed to be told? We definitely didn't need a 3-film examination on how Anikin became Vader. I mean, all the key points we had surmised from the OT anyway. And on top of that, Anakin's story-arc (the main one of the PT) was the most poorly-handled aspect of those films to begin with, even in Sith. We didn't need to get to know Padme either. Who really gave a fuck who Luke's mother was? All we ever needed to know was that she died young after Anakin turned to the Dark Side. Not to mention that her death in Sith flies in the face of the dialog in Jedi anyway.

Wow....I completely disagree with this. The OT spoke of things as though they were legendary events in the galaxy - 'my father fought in the CLONE wars?!' - or as though they were huge emotional events in the characters lives - as in Obi-Wan always expressing sadness that over Anakin's father and us never really understanding why until the end of Empire - 'NO! I am your father!'.

We are told of these events on a very broad scale, but we are not told what they actually encompassed and and we never given any detail about them. We are never told what actually happened.

ROTJ makes a big deal out of Vader's redemption, but we are never told anything about how the good man known as Anakin Skywalker became Vader. We are never told much about the emperor, who he really is.

There was so much potential story to tell, I can't believe you would say the OT told us everything we needed to know.

I do agree that the PT has some major problems - and you are absolutely right with the events at the end of Sith flying in the face of some of Jedi's dialog(Leah's real mother and all), I know there are a handful of discrepancies between the PT and the OT, and I know Jar-Jar was VERY annoying, and I know that worse than any of that is the awful 'romantic' dialog between Anakin and Padme. There are some pretty big problems with the PT, and it is certainly not of the quality of the OT, but as a whole, it's still solid, and there are some SPECTACULAR parts. I wouldn't trade the Maul/Qui-Gon dual in TPM for the world. I wouldn't trade the the last hour of Sith for the world. I wouldn't trade Ian McDiarmid's performance as the sith lord and future emperor in all three films for the world.

Of course they could've been even significantly better if Lucas would've opened his mind to other peoples' creative input.

But that doesn't make them unnecessary.

On a separate note, I don't understand the hate that Phantom Menace gets. I know, Jar Jar is annoying. But still. Qui-Gon is a great character. The Maul/Qui-Gon dual is spectacular, one of the the best moments of the entire PT. I also thoroughly enjoyed the pod racing scenes. Second best film of the PT.

Sith = Good
Phantom Menace = Good
AOTC = Decent, has its good moments, but is basically a bridge between Phantom Menace and Sith.

namkcuR said:
On a separate note, I don't understand the hate that Phantom Menace gets. I know, Jar Jar is annoying. But still. Qui-Gon is a great character. The Maul/Qui-Gon dual is spectacular, one of the the best moments of the entire PT. I also thoroughly enjoyed the pod racing scenes. Second best film of the PT.

You make some good points, but Phantom is too tedious for me. I don't think the movie picks up any steam until the pod race, then loses it until the very end. Qui-Gon was great, but he's a radical Jedi? I would've expected to to be more like Morpheus in the Matrix movies, the similarities are already there. If they're on Tattooine, I want to see more Jabba, too.

Here's the biggest reason why Phantom failed = midichlorians.

I rest my case.

New Star Wars thread for further discussion: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177587

Back
Top Bottom