Interference World Cup thread #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LJT said:

The Americans played a very physical game that the Italians had trouble handling, Italy were poor though. The ref was right with the red cards as well...too many yellows maybe, but the reds I found just.

yeah i didn't have a problem with the red cards myself...

Italy were bad for sure, they will need to play much better than that if they are going to get out of the group.

the rockin edge said:

yeah i didn't have a problem with the red cards myself...

Italy were bad for sure, they will need to play much better than that if they are going to get out of the group.

Italy have never looked good for over 10 years now, they had the players and have wasted it all again.

vaz02 said:

Italy have never looked good for over 10 years now, they had the players and have wasted it all again.

Been to one more major tornament final than England in the same time.........and I didn't realize this WC was over yet, silly me, who won ? (I know it wan't England, nothing on the Weather Channel about hell freezing over)

toscano said:

Been to one more major tornament final than England in the same time.........and I didn't realize this WC was over yet, silly me, who won ? (I know it wan't England, nothing on the Weather Channel about hell freezing over)

sorry didnt know italy was the big success story :eyebrow:

italians should stop trying to play for oscars, thats their problem.

roy keane said:
Just for a moment let me go little off topic
Vaz, United or City? Never asked you before, I dont know why

united ...... newcastle united :ohmy:

the rockin edge said:

weren't there americans in here saying how awful it was that australia played like"animals" and always fouling or something the other day? well the american team fouled, knocked people over etc more than most teams i've seen so far...

I saw one person complain about Australia's physical play in the other thread, and I don't know if he/she is American.

I've seen a lot rougher play in a bunch of USA-Mexico matches (there's a pretty strong rivalry developing between them).

IIRC, on the DaMarcus Beasley offside goal, Beasley and an Italian defender both slid for a loose ball and collided. The defender lay on the ground clutching his leg and trying to draw a penalty. Beasley got up, pushed the ball forward, and got a shot on goal.

Of course, all of us USA fans now have to turn around and root for Italy to beat the Czech Republic.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

I've seen a lot rougher play in a bunch of USA-Mexico matches (there's a pretty strong rivalry developing between them).

IIRC, on the DaMarcus Beasley offside goal, Beasley and an Italian defender both slid for a loose ball and collided. The defender lay on the ground clutching his leg and trying to draw a penalty. Beasley got up, pushed the ball forward, and got a shot on goal.

i've never seen the USA play Mexico, i was just referring to games at this world cup.

and what does the Beasley "goal" have to do with anything? :confused: didn't that Italian defender get stretchered off and leave the field for a prolonged period of time?

the rockin edge said:

i've never seen the USA play Mexico, i was just referring to games at this world cup.

and what does the Beasley "goal" have to do with anything? :confused: didn't that Italian defender get stretchered off and leave the field for a prolonged period of time?

I'm pretty sure that the Italian player who left the game in the second half got injured on a different play. (It better be -- otherwise I'm a complete asshole for making fun of an injured guy.)

The point wasn't that it should have been a goal -- McBride gave the team an advantage by begin offside and screening the keeper. The point is that USA players don't flop/simulate injury/beg for fouls as much as a lot of other teams do.

EDIT: Yup, Perrotta got injured on a later play -- I checked it on ESPN's game log.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

I'm pretty sure that the Italian player who left the game in the second half got injured on a different play. (It better be -- otherwise I'm a complete asshole for making fun of an injured guy.)

The point wasn't that it should have been a goal -- McBride gave the team an advantage by begin offside and screening the keeper. The point is that USA players don't flop/simulate injury/beg for fouls as much as a lot of other teams do.

EDIT: Yup, Perrotta got injured on a later play -- I checked it on ESPN's game log.

i saw dives by both teams in the game...most games actually, it's shamefull really.

i did notice very late on (not sure who it was) in the US box, the Italian had the ball and was having his shirt pulled by the defender the whole time...an obvious foul, he could've gone down looking for the (deserved) penalty but he didn't..

i'm sure we could both point to times when each team dived or whatever, that wasn't my point. the US were fouling more than most teams, regardless of amounts of diving.

Just when i thought we were in for a shite world cup (with germany, Ecuador, Poms, Argentina and Holland already qualified), we have the mighty Angolans snatching a draw and Ghana finally providing the first genuine upset in defeating the Czech Rep. Absolutely amazing....

It's a shame we've got 2 completely dead rubbers awaiting us (Poland vs Costa Rica and Ivory Coast vs Serbia-Monty, and perhaps Paraguay vs T&T). As I recall, i think that all groups were all very much wide open heading into the final round of games during the group stage in 2002.

England are the least impressive team to qualify so far. Of this team wins the WC, it will be more of a surprise than when Greece won Euro2004. Felt really sad for T&T, they deserved at least a point.

And it was shattering to see Ivory Coast elimnated after two matches in which they arguably deserved a draw in each match.

Italy vs USA was a cracker of a game, up there with Ivory vs Argy, Ivory vs Holland and Poland vs Ecuador and Ghana vs Czech.

Worst games so far have been Holland vs Serbia-Monty, Portugal vs Iran and Brazil vs Croatia....

C'mon Aussies tonight......all 3 games tonight will all be absorbing and hopefully intense contests...

I really want australia to get a good game out of Brazil but it seems less likely every time i think about it lol. A draw would be great and i think i'm setting my hopes to high at that i think brazil and ronaldo will have a point to prove against us which isn't a good thing for australian fans

Even if they lose tonight i think the aussies can qualify with a result against croatia.....

ITS A FRIGGIN AWSOME NIGHT FOR AUSTRALIAN SPORT TONIGHT, NOT ONLY IS LLEYTON HEWITT PLAYING IN THE FINAL OF QUEENS CLUB. AUSTRALIA IS PLAYING BRAZIL, C'MON AUSSIE C'MON, C'MON, C'MON AUSSIE C'MON

Hhhm so far Japan doesnt seem like they CAN really attack well , nice save by their GK . But they gotta work and pass faster . For Croatia , I Think they only need to push more.

What a load of crap that match was. The only reason we didn't lose was Croatia was almost as bad as us.

Yoshi was wonderful (save for the stupid divot thing in the first-half) and obviously kept us in with his penalty save (which I thought was a harsh one to give anyway) but every time the Croats sent in a cross I was damn frightened. Portsmouth fans call him the Vampire because he's scared of crosses.

Nakazawa and Miyamoto were good in defence again and we'll definitely miss the latter against Brazil.

Everyone else was fairly poor, save Nakata. Nakamura especially was very disappointing. Yanagisawa should have won it for us too with that chance in the second-half but really we didn't deserve anything from that match (unlike the Australia match where I honestly felt we had matched the Aussies everywhere except in finishing, which is why they won).

Still, a point's a point, and it's not over until it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom