Interference Random Music Talk Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions for Who fans...

1. Should I get Tommy before I get Live at Leeds to put those songs into perspective in a live setting, for comparison? :hmm:

2. Is there a dvd version of Live at Leeds? Cos I'd rather watch a performance than just listen to it.

1. I'll say this much; the live versions are MILES better than the studio version. It's not even close. Because of this, you'll ruin the album for yourself if you get Leeds first. Just get Tommy first and build your way up from there.

2. No. But you'll be OK without it. :wink:

Quadrophenia + Leeds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tommy

But you should still pick up Tommy at some point. Because, hey, it's not that bad. Plus, you could end up disagreeing with all of us.

Instead of Tommy, just get Quadrophenia.

I already have Quadrophenia! That was the first Who album I bought ages back! I really don't know why I picked Quad first :der:... I guess cos I read about how most people preferred it to Tommy. And I wanted to get a rock opera.

Thanks for the input, guys! Maybe I'll get Leeds. :hmm:

I already have Quadrophenia! That was the first Who album I bought ages back! I really don't know why I picked Quad first :der:... I guess cos I read about how most people preferred it to Tommy. And I wanted to get a rock opera.

Thanks for the input, guys! Maybe I'll get Leeds. :hmm:

Oh, ok. In that case, get Tommy first so you can hear how it originally goes, and then go from there.

Now for another survey question... :shifty:

Assuming I can afford only one album right now and the choices are Tommy, VU self titled, Music From Big Pink and A Love Supreme. Which one would you choose? :shifty:

Now for another survey question... :shifty:

Assuming I can afford only one album right now and the choices are Tommy, VU self titled, Music From Big Pink and A Love Supreme. Which one would you choose? :shifty:

Velvet Underground, no question about it.

Certainly not Tommy. :lol:

Judging by your tastes, you would probably get the most out of Music From Big Pink right off the bat.

Velvet Underground, no question about it.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I really enjoy What Goes On. But the thing is I already have like 4 songs from that album from DI lists and what not. It's so tempting to just download the rest and actually buy a different album, that I have no songs from. Like the other 3 choices!

:shifty:

If he was asking for a good movie rental, I'd agree. :wink:

If it's albums you want, The Band's first two are a must. Can't do much better as far as country rock goes.

If it's a starting point for him, then no, I'd go for Big Pink.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I really enjoy What Goes On. But the thing is I already have like 4 songs from that album from DI lists and what not. It's so tempting to just download the rest and actually buy a different album, that I have no songs from. Like the other 3 choices!

:shifty:

I would listen to the ones who know what they're talking about, Zoots.

Don't confuse him, YLB.

We must deceive him, so as not to hurt him... and in that way, we honor him.

But The Last Waltz soundtrack is stellar, and has a bunch of people on there I saw you wanted to get into, like Dylan, Neil Young, etc...

We must deceive him, so as not to hurt him... and in that way, we honor him.

But The Last Waltz soundtrack is stellar, and has a bunch of people on there I saw you wanted to get into, like Dylan, Neil Young, etc...

Oh, it's a completely stellar cast. No doubt. It's also 2-4 discs (depending on the version), and the poor guy only just picked up Who's Next the other day.

Oh, it's a completely stellar cast. No doubt. It's also 2-4 discs (depending on the version), and the poor guy only just picked up Who's Next the other day.

True.

I almost chipped in to the '60s/'70s thread and just said "everything," but I see you and the regular folk had some crackerjack advice.

Dude, songwise I've had all these classic rock essentials for years! It's just that I'm only now getting round to picking up many of the albums. It's not like I heard Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again for the first time last night! lol.

Right, but for example, Zoots:

The Rolling Stones kicked serious ass from about 1966 to 1978... '81, whatever, there's no doubt about that. You hear their singles and radio hits, and you know how great they are, but if you listen to that 4 album streak of Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street all of the way through, and you're getting the whole experience as opposed to what Clear Channel and Time Life choose to give you.

If we're talking about essential rock films, I would actually suggest Zoots pick up The Rolling Stones' Rock And Roll Circus, or perhaps Woodstock. He would be exposed to more obscure artists with the latter, and some amazing performances from artists he already respects with the former.

Right, but for example, Zoots:

The Rolling Stones kicked serious ass from about 1966 to 1978... '81, whatever, there's no doubt about that. You hear their singles and radio hits, and you know how great they are, but listening to that 4 album streak of Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main Street all of the way through, and you're getting the whole experience as opposed to what Clear Channel and Time Life choose to give you.

Yeah I agree with that completely! You get to relive the albums as though they're coming out in the present time, not spoonfed as classic rock essentials by radio or TV. But one has to balance the purchasing of albums with other things in life. There is only a limited budget I can allot to music. Otherwise, I would have bought all these essential albums ages back! Or simply downloaded everything but I do feel guilty if I download too much. So I balance it with purchases.

Yeah I agree with that completely! You get to relive the albums as though they're coming out in the present time, not spoonfed as classic rock essentials by radio or TV. But one has to balance the purchasing of albums with other things in life. There is only a limited budget I can allot to music. Otherwise, I would have bought all these essential albums ages back! Or simply downloaded everything but I do feel guilty if I download too much. So I balance it with purchases.

Totally fair, but if you have the means, then go for it.

I always prefer recommendations like these, then going for full albums as opposed to picking up a Best Of. What if you picked up The Best of 80-90 for U2 over The Joshua Tree because you thought it'd be better? I'd be fucking pissed.

Someone make a thread about something awesome. All the music talk is happening here or in the album thread now, iz boringz.

Someone make a thread about something awesome. All the music talk is happening here or in the album thread now, iz boringz.

Or you could swing back to the movie thread and watched my un-fucked up movie montage, ese.

I have no shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom