Interference Random Music Talk Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sisters of Mercy, and The Clash I'm listening to lately, I really shouldn't talk as I'm apparently living much further in the past....

With all the Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sisters of Mercy, and The Clash I'm listening to lately, I really shouldn't talk as I'm apparently living much further in the past....

I'm still knee deep in the Joy listening, along with Rage. In the past, indeed.....although, I did listen to MGMT on the plane yesterday.

According to my trusty Last.fm account, these are my top 10 most listened to artists over the last 3 months:

1. R.E.M.
2. U2
3. Girls Aloud
4. Coldplay
5. Radiohead
6. Pearl Jam
7. Pavement
8. Kings of Leon
9. The Beatles
10. Bruce Springsteen

So, apparently, I'm living in a freaky combination of the past, the present, and the totally embarrassing!!!

According to my trusty Last.fm account, these are my top 10 most listened to artists over the last 3 months:

1. R.E.M.
2. U2
3. Girls Aloud
4. Coldplay
5. Radiohead
6. Pearl Jam
7. Pavement
8. Kings of Leon
9. The Beatles
10. Bruce Springsteen

So, apparently, I'm living in a freaky combination of the past, the present, and the totally embarrassing!!!

I like 7 of 'em.

OK, I know it's heresy, but Think Tank is becoming my favorite Blur album, outside of Parklife. It's one of their most consistent records (FYI, I would never accuse Blur of being consistent), and also contains a few classics:

Ambulance
Out Of Time
Battery In Your Leg

I also enjoy the Moroccan influence that creeps up throughout the album.

OK, I know it's heresy, but Think Tank is becoming my favorite Blur album, outside of Parklife. It's one of their most consistent records (FYI, I would never accuse Blur of being consistent), and also contains a few classics:

Ambulance
Out Of Time
Battery In Your Leg

I also enjoy the Moroccan influence that creeps up throughout the album.

It's hard to be consistent when the sheer amount of creativity and ambition in the band is busting at the seams.

Conversely, you could just do the same simplistic aping thing over and over again in order to appeal to philistines.

Then you'd be Oasis.

It's hard to be consistent when the sheer amount of creativity and ambition in the band is busting at the seams.

Conversely, you could just do the same simplistic aping thing over and over again in order to appeal to philistines.

Then you'd be Oasis.

:lol: True.

I think Great Escape is Blur's most "consistent" record. That's probably why it's my least favorite. Parklife's ingratiating sprawl is infinitely superior.

Grunge!

Who's going to bring grunge back?

Timberlake brought sexy back a couple years ago. I think my band's first single will be called GrungeBack.

:lol: True.

I think Great Escape is Blur's most "consistent" record. That's probably why it's my least favorite. Parklife's ingratiating sprawl is infinitely superior.

Well, I'd agree, but I don't listen to Leisure all that much.

But I see your point. The self-titled is my favorite and it's all over the place.

I saw Collective Soul play a set after the Mets-Pirates game in Pittsburgh on Friday night.

Speaking of grunge, I've listened to Nevermind today, which I actually never listened to in full. It only confirmed that grunge is really not my thing and that I'd be quite happy just to have the Nirvana compilation released a few years back.

I think there's enough drabness in the world without a grunge revival.

May god have mercy on your soul.

I mean, even just for watching that game.

It was tough, but I made it through with biting sarcasm.

Some guy kind of appropriately yelled "You were good fifteen years ago!" to Collective Soul.

Speaking of grunge, I've listened to Nevermind today, which I actually never listened to in full. It only confirmed that grunge is really not my thing and that I'd be quite happy just to have the Nirvana compilation released a few years back.

I think there's enough drabness in the world without a grunge revival.

Pearl Jam's Ten was always the better album for me coming out of the grunge years. Have you listened to that one lately? :wink:

The whole "grunge" label is an interesting one. Because I've actually never thought that Pearl Jam or Nirvana fit the label. Pearl Jam, when they came out with Ten, were more influenced by 70's classic rock and Eddie's general anger with the world. Nirvana was more influenced by straight up 70's punk-rock. It was nothing new, really. These were just two profound personalities putting their own spin on an old formula.

"Grunge", it seems, was more descriptive of their clothing choices and their attitudes in the media. Two of the best bands of all-time, by the way.

And Soundgarden put a spin on Black Sabbath style metal. :drool:

Alice in Chains were pretty much their own I think. I mean I'm sure they had influences but I don't know who cos it doesn't seem as obvious.

AiC :drool:

It's ironic that Nirvana was/is sort of the posterband/ambassador for the 'Grunge' era, when of the four biggest bands(imo) of that era(Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden), Nirvana is clearly the 'which one of these things is not like the others' band.

Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were all derivative of metal in some way, shape, or form. They claimed to be killing the 80s style of metal, which they were, but as much as they were killing 80s metal, they were embracing, even basing their existence on 70s metal.

Nirvana was a punk band with some metal tendencies here and there. Punk music by definition is poppier and catchier - that's why Nirvana was initially more popular with the radio crowd. But punk music by definition is also less substantiative - that's why a lot of people get bored with Nirvana quicker.

Nirvana was a punk band with some metal tendencies here and there. Punk music by definition is poppier and catchier - that's why Nirvana was initially more popular with the radio crowd. But punk music by definition is also less substantiative - that's why a lot of people get bored with Nirvana quicker.

Yes. And Kurt knew this. And he was planning on changing this. I get tremendously sad whenever I think about Kurt and the things he would have given us had he stuck around. It's an old tale, but it's true. I don't listen to Nirvana all that often because I tend to get overwhelmed with a weird mix of grief and anger. I don't know.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom