Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I tried to listen to YHF last night to give it its 5000 chance. I made it all the way through one song, couldn't make it the full way through another. The album still sucks, and from what I can tell, the band does too. You all bought into hype. They are most DEFINITELY the most overrated band of our generation, and Indie Rock's John Tesh. Elevator music at best.

~ some of the above comments aren't to be taken seriously, some are

All true, but they cannot touch AFI.... !:drool:

I, too, listened to most of YHF on youtube the other night, and came away with the 'I don't get it' feeling. There were a few 'ok' songs, but nothing spectacular. I don't get it.

Also, I listened to the White Stripes' 'Elephant' and I don't get that one either. There are a few catchy songs there, but the rest was rather forgettable to me.

And LCD Soundsystem's self-titled...if every song on it were like 'Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up', it would be better, but as it is, I don't get it.

I, too, listened to most of YHF on youtube the other night, and came away with the 'I don't get it' feeling. There were a few 'ok' songs, but nothing spectacular. I don't get it.

Also, I listened to the White Stripes' 'Elephant' and I don't get that one either. There are a few catchy songs there, but the rest was rather forgettable to me.

And LCD Soundsystem's self-titled...if every song on it were like 'Never As Tired As When I'm Waking Up', it would be better, but as it is, I don't get it.

Radiohead survivor! :madwife:

All three albums are great.

Finish the damn Radiohead survivor already.

All three albums are great.

Finish the damn Radiohead survivor already.

That's still not done, is it??? OMG! :eeklaugh:

Radiohead survivor! :madwife:

LemonMelon - it is your opinion that all three albums are great. I disagree. You know what...forget about the YHF for a minute...could you kindly explain to me what you(and many others, apparently) feel is so great about 'Elephant'?

Yeah, I've been terrible with that Radiohead survivor. Don't think I haven't thought about it. Frankly, when I decided on the format of the thing, I made it too long for my own good. Bad namkcuR. I will try to get back to it.

LemonMelon - it is your opinion that all three albums are great. I disagree. You know what...forget about the YHF for a minute...could you kindly explain to me what you(and many others, apparently) feel is so great about 'Elephant'?

It's a spectacular record, by far and away the best thing the band has done. It came just after the terrible production values went away, and before they started to overthink their own music. The guitars are roaring, hooks are everywhere (There's No Home For You Here is a fantastic pop song disguised by layers of fuzz and given extra punch thanks to its chorus, and you could say the same about I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart) and, though it features the raw, extremely loud punk aesthetic, it does it one better by being catchy and palatable as well. Ball And Biscuit is one of the best rock songs of the decade IMO, a fantastic guitar workout and a sign that the blues is most certainly not dead and can be channeled in modern, interesting ways.

So yeah, I like Elephant a little bit. :wink:

I love Elephant! The last song especially is :cute: I don't have anything else by them though other than a few songs here and there.

I don't have anything else by [The White Stripes] though other than a few songs here and there.

:tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:

We need to talk
grumpycrossarms.gif

There are few albums this decade that match the guitar ferocity of Jack White's playing on Elephant; that thing has so many licks he should have called it "Lance's Mom".

Anyone familiar with French Kicks? I'd heard the name before but never any of their material. They played a song on the radio today and I loved it. Most recent album is Two Thousand so I'm gonna see if it's on there, though Pitchfork gave it a 6.0 and said their "post-punk/garage cred hangs by a thread" . They also made references to Phoenix, 00's U2, and Steely Dan so I'm totally on board.

If anyone's interested:

French Kicks: Two Thousand: Pitchfork Record Review

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I actually saw Steely Dan over the weekend at New York's Beacon Theatre, the final show of a 6 or 7 night stand. Awesome as usual, heard some stuff I hadn't before, but was surprised that NOTHING off Katy Lied was played (someone else here ain't gonna be pleased at that news), nothing off Can't Buy A Thrill, only one song from Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy (my favorite), yet FOUR from the underwhelming Gaucho (including Glamour Profession, quite possibly the worst Steely Dan song ever).

They did, however, play four songs off The Royal Scam, which was cool, the non-album radio hit F.M., and a few from Aja.

Here's an out of order list to the best of my memory:

The Royal Scam
I've Got the News
Show Biz Kids
Two Against Nature
Everything You Did
Godwhacker
Hey Nineteen
Gaucho (Walter on lead vocals)
The Fez
Glamour Profession
Parker's Band (background vocals chicks on lead vocals)
Babylon Sisters
Josie
F.M.
Peg
Don't Take Me Alive
Kid Charlemagne

Two of the four times I've seen them they closed with My Old School, my favorite song, so I've been a bit spoiled. But it was a very unbalanced setlist.

There are few albums this decade that match the guitar ferocity of Jack White's playing on Elephant; that thing has so many licks he should have called it "Lance's Mom".

Anyone familiar with French Kicks? I'd heard the name before but never any of their material. They played a song on the radio today and I loved it. Most recent album is Two Thousand so I'm gonna see if it's on there, though Pitchfork gave it a 6.0 and said their "post-punk/garage cred hangs by a thread" . They also made references to Phoenix, 00's U2, and Steely Dan so I'm totally on board.

If anyone's interested:

French Kicks: Two Thousand: Pitchfork Record Review

Dude, the new French Kicks record is pretty damn catchy.....its called Swimming and has been out for a couple months on Vagrant...

Dude, the new French Kicks record is pretty damn catchy.....its called Swimming and has been out for a couple months on Vagrant...

Thanks EP, just figured that out while I was gone researching. For some reason Pitchfork never bothered to review it though it may only be available for download so far.

I think a lot of people here would really like these guys. Several of the reviews on Amazon mention an old U2 similarity, and I detected traces too when I heard that first song (So Far We Are) on the radio.

I highly suggest people check out some snippets (or whole albums). I'm really digging Two Thousand so far.

I'm a huge White Stripes fan, but to me Elephant was easily their most disappointing album. I still love about half of the tracks, but on the whole it feels rather stale and curiously lacking in charm and magic that De Stijl and White Blood Cells had.

Personally, I think I've had enough of the whole garage/post-punk thing. I just don't have the basic love for it; with some musical styles out there I can always make extra room and listen to a whole lot of lesser albums and not get bored. Others are small doses only.

Tonight I had the HONOR of watching Peter Hook (New Order, Joy Division, Monaco, Revenge, etc.) DJ at a club in Manhattan.

Pretty high energy techno for the first hour, and then he went into some more recognizable UK stuff including some well known hits (Underworld's Born Slippy, and a dance remix of Blur's Song 2?!) and more obscure tracks. Peppered throughout the night were various New Order tracks including True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Confusion, and from the band's most recent (final?) album Krafty and Jetstream. Another pleasant surprise was when he played Out of Control by the Chemical Bros., which features guest vocal & guitar by Bernard Sumner. If the most recent NO break-up was that acrimonious, I don't think he'd want to hear Barney's voice on something Hook didn't even play on.

Anyway, things took a turn for the worse when he mixed into Mr. Brightside by The Killers. At that point we decided to head out.

An enjoyable night. For the record, Hooky was very gracious with all the people who were bugging him during the set, taking pictures with fans, shaking hands, hugging, etc. Nice to see.

Wow, no random music thoughts in several days?

Well in more New Order news, a new DVD just came out. It's called Live in Glasgow, and features a performance from the band's final tour in 2006. But the real catch here is the second disc, which features rare and unreleased footage of the band playing various shows and festivals over the years. There's stuff going back all the way to 1981. And I'm talking complete songs.

I got it on sale for about $12.99, so even the list price must be reasonable.

Also, some time later this year, NO will be re-releasing some of their studio albums, remastered and with outtakes, b-sides, remixes, etc. So far these are slated to get the special treatment:

Power, Corruption, and Lies
Low-Life
Brotherhood
Republic

I understand why Substance isn't here because it's a compilation, but why skip over Technique?

Interesting.

re. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
we sold it on Ebay because it bored me so much
nothing bad there
but .... :snore:

Anyone else pick up the new Girl Talk? You can download it from his website, pay anything you want.

I'm so glad you mentioned this - I downloaded it, and I LOVE IT. It's so fun!

I just took out a chunk of text because until I finished typing it, I was thinking of the record as samples... but it's really just a giant mash-up, and totally changes my point. So nevermind.

Remember the war of words between Jay-Z and Noel Gallagher earlier this year? Noel saying that Jay-Z doesn't belong playing at the Glastonbury festival?

Well, last night, Jay-Z opened his headlining set at Glastonbury by "covering" the Oasis classic Wonderwall.

YouTube - Wonderwall - Jay-z Live At Glastonbury

Noel FTW.

Pretty sue he was just screwing around. He wasn't even near the mic half the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom