Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Land of Confusion be Collins era Genesis' finest moment? :drool:

I'm sure the prog fans would beg to differ.

But I like that song.

Invisible Touch doesn't really hold a candle to Duke, Abacab, or the self-titled even if we're talking about the poppier incarnation of the band.

Not sure what I think of the new single by The Music. I know they kinda fancy themselves and making rock "dance music", but this is even a bit too repetitive for most dance stuff. I just wished it went somewhere more interesting musically. Regardless, look forward to hearing the new album.

YouTube - The Music - Strength In Numbers

Could Land of Confusion be Collins era Genesis' finest moment? :drool:

I must have dreamed a thousand dreams
Been haunted by a million screams
But I can hear the marching feet
They're moving into the street

What a kickass opening! :rockon:

Decent song, but hardly.

If we are talking about the Collins era, I'd go with something off of Duke. Probably the best album with Collins at lead.

Mama is great, too.

Who the hell is Emmylou Harris?

Shes sounds cool and, me being a young and dumb idiot, I don't know a thing about her.

Is she a country and western music artist? Sounds like it.

Let me tell you, I love me some good old time country and westeern. Especially the music and rhymes of Hank Williams, Sr. But I digress. Does she have any famous songs that I might know?

Emmylou is indeed country. She's the grand old lady of country and became famous when she dueted with Gram Parsons (the pioneer of country rock) in the early Seventies. She has a wonderful, angelic voice. I have to say I don't know if any of her songs are that famous, but a few suggestions are Boulder To Birmingham and Love Hurts (duet with Gram Parsons).
A recommended album to start with is Wrecking Ball (released in 1995). It's produced by Daniel Lanois and has Larry Mullen drumming on a lot of songs. With that album she kinda found her second wind, as the two albums following Wrecking Ball are also wonderful, Red Dirt Girl and Stumbling Into Grace.
She has now a new album out, All I Intended To Be. From what I've heard, it's more of a return to the roots of country. The three albums I mentioned before were kind of moving country to a different, more atmospheric place. I haven't heard the new though.

And oh, any excuse is a good excuse to show the artist. :)
emmylou_harris1.jpg

Emmylou Harris Official Website

Wow, she's really hot. I'll marry her some day, once I can beat all these other girls off with a stick. I've had like 4 propose to me in the last week, even!

I have a thing for blonde female country singers (Carrie U., Taylor S., Miranda L.)

Thanks popmartijn...I will check out that album that has Larry drumming involved.

Because, well, Larry kicks a lot of ass.

Emmylou also did some noteworthy backing vocals on Bob Dylan's Desire, on One More Cup of Coffee, Oh Sister, and Joey.

And I would second the mention of her Gram Parsons collaborations, GP and Grievous Angel. Amazing, amazing albums.

I really like the two "Trio" albums Emmylou did with Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt - they have such amazing voices, and the harmonies are to die for.

They're more along the "traditional country" lines, though.

But ska needs to be avoided. Always.

No way! :no:
There's some great ska music: early Jimmy Cliff, early Wailers, Skatallites
And while from a later period (and not only ska) the Specials are also are great band. Their debut album Specials is a classic! :up:

*is thinking how much ska Madness were. Doesn't matter, they were a great band!*

BUY THE SPECIALS SELF-TITLED DEBUT ALBUM

Seriously, it's great. It's the only "purely ska" thing I own, and I love it.

As Marty mentioned, Madness are also good times. So is The English Beat.

For some "more punk than ska", check out Operation Ivy. Their self-titled compilation album is probably one of the single best discs I (or anyone else who has it) own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom