Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great album:

41DXWBM9F5L._SS500_.jpg

I don't know why I can't get into Bonnie Prince Billy. I saw him open for Bjork and I really tried. People actually laughed at him (I didn't) and I don't think he was trying to be funny. Maybe a record is better?

Well that album is the Bonnie Prince and Matt Sweeney (former guitar player for Chavez, Zwan, etc), so it kinda has a different feel I guess. I don't know, it's the only one of his records I own, but I think it's fantastic.

Well that album is the Bonnie Prince and Matt Sweeney (former guitar player for Chavez, Zwan, etc), so it kinda has a different feel I guess. I don't know, it's the only one of his records I own, but I think it's fantastic.

People LOVE Bonnie Prince. They are practically worshipful of him. I was just surprised that not only did I not like him, I just didn't get him at all. But maybe opening for Bjork isn't the best way to evaluate anybody.

U2popmofo:

You might not recall this, but you and another poster urged me to listen to more of The Hold Steady, after I mentioned not really being blown away by their performance at Lollapalooza. Well, I've tried my best to get into them, but just cannot. I like the music, LOVE the lyrics/stories, but, just cannot really enjoy the vocals, as it were. I tried, I really did.

U2popmofo:

You might not recall this, but you and another poster urged me to listen to more of The Hold Steady, after I mentioned not really being blown away by their performance at Lollapalooza. Well, I've tried my best to get into them, but just cannot. I like the music, LOVE the lyrics/stories, but, just cannot really enjoy the vocals, as it were. I tried, I really did.

I've heard a few people also use the vocals as the reason they don't like them, so it's all good. Please at least tell me that you think at least one of these is a fantastic song:

Stuck Between Stations
First Night
You Can Make Him Like You
Massive Nights
Citrus
Hornets! Hornets!
Cattle and the Creeping Things
Your Little Hoodrat Friend
Banging Camp

People LOVE Bonnie Prince. They are practically worshipful of him. I was just surprised that not only did I not like him, I just didn't get him at all. But maybe opening for Bjork isn't the best way to evaluate anybody.

I think that if you heard either 'My Home Is the Sea' or 'Beast For Thee' from Superwolf, you'd change your tune.

I've heard a few people also use the vocals as the reason they don't like them, so it's all good. Please at least tell me that you think at least one of these is a fantastic song:

Stuck Between Stations
First Night
Massive Nights
Citrus
Hornets! Hornets!
Banging Camp

Stuck Between Stations was the one song I heard at Lolla that made me perk up.....sort of Springsteen-esque, really driving guitars, etc...so, yes, I'd never skip that song if I heard it on Itunes or the radio. Massive Nights is fun, seems like a cool song to hear in a Bar or something. I like First Night, too. Maybe I like them a little better than I thought. :)

Stuck Between Stations
First Night
Massive Nights
Citrus
Hornets! Hornets!
Banging Camp

I would add Most People Are DJ's to that list, as it was the song that got me into them.

What am I supposed to do about Sonic Youth?

I've obviously heard a lot about them...about the influence they've had on a number of artists...about how "noisy" their music is...but I've never given them a listen...

They appeared on an episode of Gilmore Girls and I feel I need to check out their stuff.

Where should I start?

Or should I not even start at all? :wink:

Thanks.

Also, is there a Beatles thread somewhere on this board? I can't search for it so I'm just going to come right out and say it...

The Beatles were a good band.

Also, I remember the Edge saying back around '03 that one of his favorite new bands was Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

I have their first two albums...self-titled and 'Take Them on, On your Own'...

Welp, both albums kick ass!!!

They're a trio from California but actually the drummer is British!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on these guys?

Thanks.

I don't think a perfect Sonic Youth album exists
though many pretty great ones

I guess Daydream Nation would be a popular favourite
and not a bad starting point

you could start with Murray Street
it's more recent and pretty sweey

Sister and Dirty are pretty excellent also

re. Bonny 'Prince' Billy
the man is a genius

critic acclaim for "There is no one what will take care of you" (Palace Brothers) and "I see a darkness" (Bonny 'Prince' Billy) is rightfully so
I always tend to put "Arise, therefore" (Palace Music) in my top 10 albums ever though
and "Ease down the road" would be my favourite of his more recent albums

unmatched lyricist

I've never been able to truly get into Sonic Youth. Rather Ripped is my favorite album of theirs actually because of the remarkable consistency of it. Teen Age Riot is my favorite SY song though; it deserves all of the praise it has received over the years, and it was amazing when I saw them live.

I've obviously heard a lot about them...about the influence they've had on a number of artists...about how "noisy" their music is...but I've never given them a listen...

They appeared on an episode of Gilmore Girls and I feel I need to check out their stuff.

Where should I start?

Or should I not even start at all? :wink:

Thanks.

They're horribly over-rated. Ignore them.

They're horribly over-rated. Ignore them.

Yeah, use the time to appreciate Nirvana instead. They're not overrated in the least, and Smells Like Teen Spirit contains the most original, creative, and innovative guitar riff of the past 20 years.

Wait, no.

Hawk Harrelson Jr, go listen to Sonic Youth and judge for yourself. Anyone that tells you to simply ignore an artists' body of work is not worth listening to in the first place. Better you find some Sonic Youth fans and ask them for a recommended starting point, and go from there. Not one person on this forum has any idea if you'll like Sonic Youth or not.

Hawk Harrelson Jr, go listen to Sonic Youth and judge for yourself. Anyone that tells you to simply ignore an artists' body of work is not worth listening to in the first place. Better you find some Sonic Youth fans and ask them for a recommended starting point, and go from there. Not one person on this forum has any idea if you'll like Sonic Youth or not.

Listen to the douchebag.

And Teen Age Riot. Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom