Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, fair enough. Thank you.

No Robert Duvall drags it down for me already. Tom's my favorite character.

lazarus said:

spl9d.jpg
vinyl-mens-short-1324.jpg

I guess we all have our priorities...

I'm looking for something that says..... daddy likes leather.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Okay, fair enough. Thank you.

No Robert Duvall drags it down for me already. Tom's my favorite character.

There are a lot of plot threads and moments in Part III that I enjoy more than much of Part II, but it cannot be denied that the lack of both Duvall and Caan, as well as the casting of Andy Garcia really hurt Part III as far as characters go. And yes, I realize Caan was absent for Part II as well, but he did pop up at the very end, and Part II had De Niro, young Pacino, and Cazale to pick up the slack.

And both sequels pale in comparison for a good part because of the lack of Brando's otherworldly presence.

Those are both great posters.

Lancemc said:

There are a lot of plot threads and moments in Part III that I enjoy more than much of Part II, but it cannot be denied that the lack of both Duvall and Caan, as well as the casting of Andy Garcia really hurt Part III as far as characters go. And yes, I realize Caan was absent for Part II as well, but he did pop up at the very end, and Part II had De Niro, young Pacino, and Cazale to pick up the slack.

And both sequels pale in comparison for a good part because of the lack of Brando's otherworldly presence.

Pacino's a force in Part II... not as great as Brando in the original, but he's up there.

Garcia was the only cast member to get an Oscar nod that year... and Ghost was nominated for Best Picture, too, so good job, Oscar voters.

Lancemc said:

That's really what prevents me from saying Part II is better than the original, even if I think Coppola's directorial work on the sequel is more accomplished.

That they were even to make a good film without his presence is pretty fucking amazing. That most feel it is in the same league as the first, even moreso.

What's funny is that the first film only won three Oscars, while it was Part II that totally cleaned up. Against Chinatown, no less.

Speaking of movies vs. The Godfather at the Oscars, I just finished Sleuth (Olivier and Caine) and Murder on the Orient Express from the TCM Marathon.

I loved Sleuth... fuck, it was brilliant. Orient Express had a great cast and story (Connery, Albert Finney, Norman Bates, John Gielgud, Basil from Austin Powers, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall), but it didn't grab me as much as Sleuth did. Both were sharp murder mysteries though.

I'd go into greater detail about Sleuth, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Lancemc said:
That is a good poster. :drool:

Reminds me of this

422_box_348x490.jpg

Holy shit! And I thought I was so lucky to find a used copy of the Extended Cut a few months ago.

Look at these features:

* - All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Vittorio Storaro
* - All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer of the extended television version
* - Audio commentary featuring director Bernardo Bertolucci, producer Jeremy Thomas, screenwriter Mark Peploe, and composer-actor Ryuichi Sakamoto
* - The Italian Traveler: Bernardo Bertolucci, a 53-minute film by Fernand Moszkowicz tracing the director's geographic influences, from Parma to China
* - Video images taken by Bertolucci while on preproduction in China
* - The Chinese Adventure of Bernardo Bertolucci, a 52-minute documentary that revisits the film's making
* - A new, 47-minute documentary featuring Storaro, editor Gabriella Cristiana, costume designer James Acheson, and art director Gianni Silvestri
* - A 66-minute BBC documentary exploring Bertolucci's creative process and the making of The Last Emperor
* - A 30-minute interview with Bertolucci from 1989
* - A new interview with composer David Byrne
* - A new interview with Ian Buruma examining the historical period of the film
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Thomson, interviews with production designer Ferdinando Scarfiotti and actor Ying Ruocheng, a reminiscence by Bertolucci, and an essay and production-diary extracts from Fabien S. Gerard

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Apparently Bertolucci wasn't really behind the longer cut, but I saw it in the theatre in Paris, and it was just more brilliance.

One of the most deserving Best Picture winners in history.

Seriously. That nearly makes me tinkle a little. I haven't seen the film, but it way high on the list, and this is the DVD I want to pick up when I can afford it. :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Speaking of movies vs. The Godfather at the Oscars, I just finished Sleuth (Olivier and Caine) and Murder on the Orient Express from the TCM Marathon.

I loved Sleuth... fuck, it was brilliant. Orient Express had a great cast and story (Connery, Albert Finney, Norman Bates, John Gielgud, Basil from Austin Powers, Ingrid Bergman, Lauren Bacall), but it didn't grab me as much as Sleuth did. Both were sharp murder mysteries though.

I'd go into greater detail about Sleuth, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Man, I should really look at that schedule and give you some suggestions. Should have thought of that before. Are you recording stuff too, or just catching shit while it's on?

lazarus said:

Man, I should really look at that schedule and give you some suggestions. Should have thought of that before. Are you recording stuff too, or just catching shit while it's on?

I'm recording, here's what I have DVR'd from the marathon:

The Odd Couple
Stand by Me
Lolita
Citizen Kane (I have it on VHS... but I'd rather watch this one)
Sunrise
The War of the Worlds ('50s)
Forbidden Planet
Network (next on my list)
Some Like It Hot
---
Others saved on DVR:
Butch Cassidy...
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Hannah and Her Sisters
Frenzy
The 39 Steps
They Live
The Insider
The Ballad of Jack and Rose
His Girl Friday
Mean Streets
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Science of Sleep
After Hours
Born on the Fourth of July
Charade
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
JFK
The Public Enemy
The China Syndrome
The Warriors
The Red Violin
Tombstone (already seen)
Frankenstein
Suspicion
To Catch a Thief
Bride of Frankenstein
Cool Hand Luke
Notorious
Torn Curtain
Dial M for Murder
The Man Who Knew Too Much (Stewart)
Shadow of a Doubt
The Trouble with Harry

I've got about 12 hours left of space.

I've never seen Sleuth, or The Last Emperor.

:reject:

Ok, it's time to go watch Moonraker. Just read that Michael Lonsdale, who is in The Day of the Jackal (A film I love, and a great book) and Ronin (A silly film I like anyway), is in this. I legitimately do not remember Moonraker if Lonsdale was in it and that's now news to me.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The Odd Couple
Stand by Me
Lolita
Sunrise
Forbidden Planet
Some Like It Hot
---
Others saved on DVR:
Butch Cassidy...
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Hannah and Her Sisters
Frenzy
The 39 Steps
They Live
The Insider
His Girl Friday
Mean Streets
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Science of Sleep
After Hours
Charade
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
JFK
The Public Enemy
The China Syndrome
The Warriors
The Red Violin
Tombstone (already seen)
Frankenstein
Suspicion
To Catch a Thief
Bride of Frankenstein
Cool Hand Luke
Notorious
Torn Curtain
Dial M for Murder
Shadow of a Doubt
The Trouble with Harry

I've got about 12 hours left of space.

Network + The Allen Films + Butch Cassidy + The fucking Warriors + Mean Streets + All the President's Men = awesome.

There are others on this list that I like, too, of course, but those just jumped at me.

Lance, cannot see whatever photo you put in your post on the other page.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The Odd Couple
Stand by Me
Lolita
Sunrise
Forbidden Planet
Some Like It Hot
---
Others saved on DVR:
Butch Cassidy...
All the President's Men
Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Hannah and Her Sisters
Frenzy
The 39 Steps
They Live
The Insider
His Girl Friday
Mean Streets
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Science of Sleep
After Hours
Charade
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
JFK
The Public Enemy
The China Syndrome
The Warriors
The Red Violin
Tombstone (already seen)
Frankenstein
Suspicion
To Catch a Thief
Bride of Frankenstein
Cool Hand Luke
Notorious
Torn Curtain
Dial M for Murder
Shadow of a Doubt
The Trouble with Harry

I've got about 12 hours left of space. [/B]

Perry: Go. Sleep badly. Any questions, hesitate to call.
Harry: Bad.
Perry: Excuse me?
Harry: Sleep bad. Otherwise it makes it seem like the mechanism that allows you to sleep...
Perry: What, fuckhead? Who taught you grammar? Badly's an adverb. Get out. Vanish.

No spoken words said:

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

Trying to be punny, and I think you'd enjoy the way Caine and Olivier just rail into each other throughout. Not the type of railing Lance is familiar with, but the other kind.

I know you're running out of drive space, so I'll asterisk *** the most important ones:

15 Friday

Any Marx Bros. film is worth catching.

12:15 PM Day At The Races, A (1937)
A group of zanies tries to save a pretty girl's sanitarium. Cast: The Marx Bros., Allan Jones, Maureen O'Sullivan. Dir: Sam Wood. BW-109 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

Amazing Dustin Hoffman performance, playing a 150 year old man.

8:00 PM Little Big Man (1970)
An American pioneer raised by Indians ends up fighting alongside General Custer. Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Faye Dunaway, Chief Dan George. Dir: Arthur Penn. C-140 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

Find out how Jack Lemmon won an Oscar over Al Pacino in Serpico & Nicholson in The Last Detail.

10:30 PM Save the Tiger (1973)
A clothing manufacturer faces a midlife crisis and a failing business. Cast: Jack Lemmon, Jack Gilford, Laurie Heineman. Dir: John G. Avildsen. C-100 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

Altman. No explanation necessary.

2:15 AM Nashville (1975) ***
Country music stars get caught up in tangled affairs and an independent's political campaign. Cast: Henry Gibson, Lily Tomlin, Ronee Blakley. Dir: Robert Altman. C-158 mins, TV-MA, CC, Letterbox Format

16 Saturday

Maybe not your cup of tea, but it has Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, and Anthony Hopkins. An acting class if there ever was one.

9:30 AM Lion In Winter, The (1968)
England's Henry II and his estranged queen battle over the choice of an heir. Cast: Katharine Hepburn, Peter O'Toole, Anthony Hopkins. Dir: Anthony Harvey. C-134 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

Bogart. Hepburn. Huston. Awesome.

3:45 PM African Queen, The (1951) ***
A grizzled skipper and a spirited missionary take on the Germans in Africa during World War I. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn, Robert Morley. Dir: John Huston. C-105 mins, TV-PG, CC

17 Sunday

John Wayne & John Ford. The first has some of the best B&W cinematography you will ever see, the second has one of Wayne's best, most tender performances, with some great technicolor work too.

6:00 AM Long Voyage Home, The (1940)
A merchant ship's crew tries to survive the loneliness of the sea and the coming of war. Cast: John Wayne, Thomas Mitchell, Barry Fitzgerald. Dir: John Ford. BW-106 mins, TV-G

11:00 AM She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949) ***
An aging Cavalry officer tries to prevent an Indian war in the last days before his retirement. Cast: John Wayne, Joanne Dru, Ben Johnson. Dir: John Ford. C-104 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

Robert Redford's masterpiece. Do not miss this. Brad Pitt becomes a movie star before your eyes.

8:00 PM River Runs Through It, A (1992) ***
A preacher's sons, one serious, one wild, look out for each other while growing up in rural Montana. Cast: Brad Pitt, Craig Sheffer, Tom Skerritt. Dir: Robert Redford. C-124 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

20 Wednesday

One of Ernst Lubitsch's funniest films, and then three great films by his protege, Billy Wilder. If you haven't seen any Wilder, correct this IMMEDIATELY.

4:00 PM Ninotchka (1939)
A coldhearted Soviet agent is warmed up by a trip to Paris and a night of love. Cast: Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire. Dir: Ernst Lubitsch. BW-111 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

6:00 PM One, Two, Three (1961)
A Coca-Cola executive in West Berlin tries to keep the boss's daughter from marrying a Communist. Cast: James Cagney, Horst Buchholz, Arlene Francis. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-108 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Some Like It Hot (1959) ***
Two musicians on the run from gangsters masquerade as members of an all-girl band. Cast: Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-121 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

10:15 PM Stalag 17 (1953)
A cynical serviceman in a World War II POW camp has to prove he's not an informer. Cast: William Holden, Don Taylor, Otto Preminger. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-120 mins, TV-PG, CC
I'm finished.

For now.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Trying to be punny, and I think you'd enjoy the way Caine and Olivier just rail into each other throughout. Not the type of railing Lance is familiar with, but the other kind.

Oh, I actually thought you were using the phrase seriously.

The Lion in Winter should be everyone's fucking cup of tea.

The rare movie my Dad told me I'd love that he was right about. That, and A Clockwork Orange (I was 10, but whatever).

Alright, got the asterisked ones set, plus L.A. Confidential on Monday.

Hopefully I'll have room for it all, thanks Laz.

I was hoping the "damn you" would draw the proper reply.

Alright, time for Space Shuttles, Jaws, French Actors not names Amalric that I like a lot, and 007.

No spoken words said:
I was hoping the "damn you" would draw the proper reply.

Alright, time for Space Shuttles, Jaws, French Actors not names Amalric that I like a lot, and 007.

You mean "French actors that were also in Munich"?

Back
Top Bottom