I'm old enough to remember...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pop_rocks.jpg

blueeyedgirl said:

Don't you diss the Rollers :mad: They were my little 8 year old heart's desire :drool: Jealous, Martha, very jealous...:(

Mine too! My mom took me to see them when I was little. Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. In fact, I just had to clean out my old closet at my mom's place not long ago, and found a bunch of old Roller stuff and copies of Tiger Beat. :lol:

Eric was my favourite. :cute:

I remember riding around in the backseat of my parents' 1972 Ford Maverick Grabber, with no seatbelt.
I remember when using our Polaroid camera indoors required buying an expensive flash bar, and jamming it into the top of the camera.
I remember when New Kids on the Block were the coolest thing ever, and then a bit later, Vanilla Ice was.
I remember being sure I could hear the Legend of Zelda overworld music in my sleep, because I heard it all day.
I remember when CDs were new and fancy, and Coca Cola would include these small, one track CDs with a twelve pack of Cokes. We got one of the little CDs, but didn't have a CD player.

I remember black and white tv, 8 track tapes, 45s, penny candy that really cost a penny, my neighbours 'new' 66 Mustang, man walking on the moon, riding in a car without a seatbelt on tv shows like Bonanza, Family Affair, Peyton Place, Lost In Space and Adam12.

you forgot Mod Squad, Mission Impossible, Marcus Welby MD, Streets of San Francisco, Ironside, Medical Center, Julia, Mary Tyler Moore Show,...

I vaguely remember when "Come On Eileen" spent it's 384 weeks at #1 or whatever length of time it was.
:slant:

I remember NOT being unusual because we didn't have a car or a telephone when we were growing up. It wasn't so unusual then. Or maybe people just didn't care what material possessions you had vs. them, etc. Pfft. Unlike these youngins today!
:tsk:

I dont remember much, though. I'm either really young, or older than I am aware of.
:huh:

fah said:
I remember black and white tv, 8 track tapes, 45s, penny candy that really cost a penny, my neighbours 'new' 66 Mustang, man walking on the moon, riding in a car without a seatbelt on tv shows like Bonanza, Family Affair, Peyton Place, Lost In Space and Adam12.

Yes! (well, I don't remember your neighbour's Mustang...) I lived in a rural area so there wasn't much around. Often the highlight of the week (or whatever) was when my mom would let us (me and my two older siblings) walk to this tiny store up the road and take some bottles we had picked up from along the road to be returned for the deposit. With the money we got from the bottles we would get penny candy. It was a pretty extensive penny candy counter and I just loved it. Very occasionally she would give us a bit of extra money and we would pick up one of those chef boyardee pizza mixes. And if we were feeling really really decadent and adventurous she would very very occasionally allow my brother (as he was the oldest) to cross the street (it is a major road) when we got to that store and go to the tavern to pick up onion rings to bring home.

Yeah, we were quite the wild ones. :)

Got Philk? said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I remember commodor 64 computers.

I had 4 games. A space game that was quite in depth. I played that one so much, i wore it out. I had a basketball game and I could be players like Walt Frasier, George Gervin, and other stars. That game made me break controllers b/c of course, "the game cheats." Anyway, I had a soccer game that I loved. It was hilarious b/c on the box it had a goalie blocking a shot saying, "Phew, I just saved it." And the other player who shot it, "Drat, that was my last chance."
And the last game was pinball. My dad and I played that one together lots.

I got that for Christmas one year.

We had loads of games for it. Paperboy and Super Monaco Grand Prix were among some of the favourites. :up:

I remember it took hours waiting for the game to load up and half the time it never worked :lol:

I remember Pong consols, Cable on one side of the street but not on the other, the long lines for the original Star Wars movie, first run episodes of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Barney Miller & All In The Family, my mom crying when Elvis died, being visited in school by the gold medal winners of the 1980 Olympic hockey team, gathering in class when Ronald Reagan was shot, the smell of mimeograph paper, Lee Jeans, New Coke, Tab as the only diet soda, bomb drills, Friday Night Videos before there was an MTV, when the Pacer and the Pinto were all the rage and not big jokes, the VHS vs Beta war, the last years of the Drive In's, movie theaters that had only one screen and waiting for a movie to come to town, when saturday mornings actually had cartoons on...

A few more:

"Choose Your Own Adventure" books

The original Oregon Trail.

That machine in K mart that let you view clips of movies on video disk.

Space Invaders and Asteroids as the pinnacle of video game developement

The debut of the ground breaking movie, The Black Hole

Dial-A-Story

Book Mobiles

Stories on record with a corresponding picture book, usually about super heroes.

Colorforms

The Lone Ranger dolls and the horses that came with them that weren't moveable. You'd lose the guns and knives and such, but you could contact the company and they'd send you more.

Someone help me with this, those playschool action figures that preceded Star Wars figures. They were the same size, but never with guns or anything and they had jeeps and boats and kyaks and stuff that you put the guys in. I remember a guy with a cowboy hat wearing a brown seventies jump suit.

Anyone else get those books from like your ant that had your name in them? It'd be a blank spot and your name typed in in a different font.

Last edited:
RedrocksU2 said:
I am old enough to remember wearing "Op" shorts.
:reject:

corduroyshorts01.jpg

...and seeing the girls wear leg warmers. ::lol:

Had a group of friends that gave me OP as a nickname because I wore the shirts and shorts so much! God, forgot all about them.

VintagePunk said:

Mine too! My mom took me to see them when I was little. Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. In fact, I just had to clean out my old closet at my mom's place not long ago, and found a bunch of old Roller stuff and copies of Tiger Beat. :lol:

Eric was my favourite. :cute:

:love:

When they came to my city, I was way too young and not allowed to go. Our class went on an excursion that day and as we were going back to school on the bus, we went past their hotel. We were very jealous as we saw lots of fans standing outside chanting in their Roller Strollers. They were "really old", like 15! :lol:

Woody was mine :heart:

Snowlock said:
I remember ... the smell of mimeograph paper,...

:hyper: Oooh - that's a good one! :up: I always loved it when the teacher would come back in the room & hand out those sheets, still wam to the touch & all bluish-purple. :D Funny, I smelled something just a few days ago that reminded me of those mimeographed pages, but I can't remember what it was now. :confused:

But speaking of school, I remember in elementary grades being able to buy a pack of lined notebook paper (25 pages) for .25 cents or pencils and extra erasers for .10 cents & .05 cents from the school "store" in the Principal's office. And being obsessive/compulsive at an early age, I remember being thrilled on rainy days when we couldn't go outside for recess & the teacher would have us use that time to clean out our desks. Mine was never trashy, but I was just so giddy for the chance to rearrange my books and tidy things up.

I know, I know.... :nerd: :lol:

Lila64 said:

:love:

I think you are the only other person in the world that remembers Wonderama :happy:

Oh, make that three people - I remember Wonderama very well, it was my Sunday morning TV ritual. Several years later, when roller disco was popular (there's another thing :) ). Bob McAllister (who was one of the hosts) opened a rink about 10 minutes from where I lived, in New Rochelle, so I got to see him quite frequently then as I went nearly every Friday night. :D

Anybody remember the Soupy Sales show? I barely do myself...

Pop Artist said:

Oh, make that three people - I remember Wonderama very well, it was my Sunday morning TV ritual. Several years later, when roller disco was popular (there's another thing :) ). Bob McAllister (who was one of the hosts) opened a rink about 10 minutes from where I lived, in New Rochelle, so I got to see him quite frequently then as I went nearly every Friday night. :D

Anybody remember the Soupy Sales show? I barely do myself...

0248.gif

And Soupy was a little before my time, but hubby remembers!

I would have said Gilligan's Island too, but I wasn't around when they first aired at night (or not old enough to remember that).

For Heaven's sake, fuck the Bay City Rollers! I bet they've never even been to Bay City! I'm old enough to forget them. Hell, I'd rather watch one of Perry Como's lameass Christmas specials!

I remember all the cool 80's music, and subsequent 80's music videos. I remember the little glass dood that walked in Sesame Street. I remember dial phones and party lines.

I remember NES and Intellivision and black and white tellies.

Mr. BAW said:
You three young ladies do not want to know what I remember...like the original, first showing of American Bandstand...Chuckoo the Clown, Bozo the Clown, Sky King, Fury, the original My Friend Flicka, the original National Velvet...Ed Sullivan, the debut of the Beatles, Elvis, Dave Clark 5, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Burns and Allen...

First run episodes of Ozzie and Harriet, several of the I Love Lucy shows, and the pain goes on and on....

I only got thru thr first 4 pages so far.....:giggle:
:shifty: :shifty:

you're NOT QUITE alone Mr Baw...............:lol:

I don't remember some of the earliest episoids of those shows like AMericanBandstand or O & H........maybe because i didn't have an older sibling, not sure. i do remember FLicka, NV.

Chukoo the Clown ?? never heard of THAT one !

HOw about first one of The Jetsons & the Flinstones...

OK here's a some hat obscure one...........Georld McBoingBoing!

first run Mr Mcgoo and Star Trek!
Remeber [only 1 or 2 seasons] SuperCAR ?!

The Beatles..........I SAW the Beatles 2x's at Shea Stadiun [nyc] I was pretty young , def younger than a fair majority of the other teenage girls there. My friend's Dad was in the restaruant biz had easy connection to tix brokers.

Indra..............
I DO remember Party Lines - but not in NYC.....it was our cousins in the then smaller New Jersey suburbs <g>

:yikes:
I remember The Cuban Missle Crisis!

And Mad Magazine doing a Spoof on JFK {John f Kenendy} vs Khruschev { the premier of the [then] Soviet Union - now "shrunk down" into Russia] called "East Side Story" [after West Side Story] ALot of it went over my head at the time. I got to read it on-line about a year or so ago. Even funnier since i understood the rest!

I remember........when we girls <in Public, NOT say like in, Catholic school> had to fight to be able to wear pants to school in the Winter months.Can you imagine?:madspit: :)

I remember Asteroids! and the first Pinball arcades in NYC to get pong, asteroids etc. :lol:

I don't "feel" "old". I don't look my age either. <g>
But i sometimes get trapped into society thinking ESP for women.:madspit: :madspit:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom