I hope nobody from here lives in New Orleans - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:06 PM
wow, this looks really serious.

I hope everyone's alright and that the doomsday scenario doesn't play out.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Looking at the projected path and what I've heard we could get torrential rains/flooding in the Ohio Valley later in the week.

Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 AM   #33
War Child

Local Time: 09:06 PM
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann
Looking at the projected path and what I've heard we could get torrential rains/flooding in the Ohio Valley later in the week.

Same here where I live.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I'm not liking the use of the word catastrophic.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Just saw the satellite image.

Does anybody know the last Cat. 5 hurricane that hit the US off the top of their heads?
Old 08-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #37
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:06 PM
I can't even imagine what a category 5 hurricane is like.

I was in South Dade County during hurricane Andrew and that is 7 hours of my life that I never want to relive.

Andrew was only a category 4.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually, the NOAA says Hurricane Andrew was the last Cat. 5 hurricane to hit the US. They measured peak winds of 164mph. This storm has winds near 175 mph.

Edit: Holy cow, the wind gusts are up at 215 mph!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #39
Forum Moderator

Well, I feel very sorry for the people who live where it hits. They're in for hell on earth.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

wow, scary stuff

http://www.nola.com/hurricane/index....ebigone_1.html

Quote:
"A catastrophic hurricane represents 10 or 15 atomic bombs in terms of the energy it releases," said Joseph Suhayda, a Louisiana State University engineer who is studying ways to limit hurricane damage in the New Orleans area. "Think about it. New York lost two big buildings. Multiply that by 10 or 20 or 30 in the area impacted and the people lost, and we know what could happen."

Hundreds of thousands would be left homeless, and it would take months to dry out the area and begin to make it livable. But there wouldn't be much for residents to come home to. The local economy would be in ruins.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

This looks like it could be the "Galveston" of our time, which, coincidentally, happened 100 years ago this year. After the hurricane of 1905 (they didn't name storms back then), Galveston, Texas never recovered and Houston overtook the city in terms of prominence and economic growth.

I hope the worst case scenario doesn't happen, but, increasingly, it looks like it very well could happen. And a lot of this could have been prevented. The natural protective marshes and whatnot in Southern Louisiana have been destroyed to nearly nothing since they started dredging canals in the 1930s. Louisiana even wanted $14 billion or so to restore a lot of these wetlands in recent years, but the money never came. After all, tax cuts for the wealthy were more important.

Melon
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ramblin rose
Andrew was only a category 4.
No. It was a Category 5: one of three to ever hit landfall in the U.S.

Melon
Old 08-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #43
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

No. It was a Category 5: one of three to ever hit landfall in the U.S.

Melon
Well, it was awful. The townhouse I was in was the only thing left standing when we went outside in the morning. Spent the whole night in the laundry room with no electricity. My dog was very old at the time and died 2 days later.

My cousin who lived in a condo a few blocks from me spent the night in an interior closet and when they opened the door they had no walls left.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 08-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern
They had the mayor of New Orleans on MSNBC and he said that tourists who can't get out are "evacuating vertically" - going to the top floors of high rise hotels. He said he thinks they should be okay there , but all the hotels are full right now.
Actually, high rises are not all that safe either. The wind speeds at higher elevations are known to increase 50 mph or more. So a 175 mph hurricane would be 225 mph in a high rise and the windows, most certainly, would be blown out completely.

Melon