I don't like...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cujo said:
From experience, my only suggestion for those who dismiss some of these bands because of old radio single exhaustion... pick up a record and listen to it in full. The songs you've heard are not necessarily a fair survey of the artists... I was bored by Zeppelin and The Who up until I was about 16/17. Now I think that some of their acoustic pieces and later works are very redeeming.

You don't have to like the classics... but it's a good idea to know more than the overplayed tunes before passing judgement.

I didn't mean by my earlier post that I don't like Led Zeppelin. I love 'em... I got every single studio album (except Coda) but when I hear overplayed songs like D'yer Mak'er, Fool In The Rain, Kashmir, Heartbreaker etc. on the radio, I'm like :yawn: and :rolleyes: .. get bored very fast.

The over-exposure thing is probably true with the Doors and I've had a lot of people tell me it's an "acquired taste."

However, with LZ, I have listened to probably 75% of their songs (I have an obsessed friend), and I honestly don't like 'em. :shrug:

MsMofoGone said:
Well, I love Led Zeppelin .. :love: ... but dislike The Doors .. :yuck:
So I guess there's only half of something wrong with me .. :giggle:

I don't like the Doors but I LOVE ZEPPELIN!!!!!!! I'm 14 too so I guess it really doesn't matter what age you are. I love the Beatles as well, and I most surely always will. :heart:

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:

yeah, it should be pointed out that I have many friends, also 14, who love LZ. some of them are 15 though...:hmm:...

They're popular to like these days though.
This and the grunge days where everyone worshipped them...more like ripped them off....

Try liking them in the 80's. It wasn't pretty. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

They're popular to like these days though.
This and the grunge days where everyone worshipped them...more like ripped them off....

Try liking them in the 80's. It wasn't pretty. :wink:

They are deffo cool to like these days....hey, you werent alive in the 80s mister!:eyebrow:

:D

cujo said:
From experience, my only suggestion for those who dismiss some of these bands because of old radio single exhaustion... pick up a record and listen to it in full. The songs you've heard are not necessarily a fair survey of the artists... I was bored by Zeppelin and The Who up until I was about 16/17. Now I think that some of their acoustic pieces and later works are very redeeming.

You don't have to like the classics... but it's a good idea to know more than the overplayed tunes before passing judgement.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't like certain bands when I was younger due to the radio airplay (still). I was never a fan of Neil Young, but he's made a lot of cool music and over the years, there's more NY that I can listen to. Even ended up seeing the 'Greendale' show twice (Elvis Costello opened for him at one show, so that was part of the reason for seeing the show the 2nd time). And he was enjoyable live too. And as with any album, even U2, you generally listen to it as a whole, not just playing SYCMIOYO or something. It's more than that. So play the Led Zeppelins or Who's or whoever as a whole, and try to see/hear it that way. And remember the time/era it came from. What Zep was doing at the time they did it, etc.

The Beatles - all time faves, a category unto themselves :love:

VertigoGal said:

They are deffo cool to like these days....hey, you werent alive in the 80s mister!:eyebrow:

:D

Common sense and stereotypical television about the 80's led me to that conclusion. :D

The Doors are awesome. At their best, they provided slightly insane lyrics that explore the darker side of the subconscious and succinct guitar lines that float over waves of ethereal keyboards.

It's hard to explain.

Their debut album lays it all out: you've got some blues, some psychedelia, some pop (later albums emphasized one of these over the others--Strange Days, for instance, is mostly psychedelia, Waiting for the Sun is mostly pop, Morrison Hotel is mostly blues--but the first album is the only one where they fused it all together brilliantly).

Since you also don't dig Led Zeppelin, maybe you just don't like white boy blues?

And like cujo said, if you want to see what makes a band special, listen to the albums and not an overplayed greatest hits compilation or, God forbid, the radio.

Hate the Beach Boys
Hate the Eagles
Hate Lynyrd Skynyrd

there are other artists I hate like Creed and LimpBizkit (among others), but it's hardly interesting to hate a steaming pile of dogshit. At least a lot of people like the ones I mentioned.

I don't care much for southern rock at all.

U2DMfan said:
Hate the Beach Boys
Hate the Eagles
Hate Lynyrd Skynyrd

there are other artists I hate like Creed and LimpBizkit (among others), but it's hardly interesting to hate a steaming pile of dogshit. At least a lot of people like the ones I mentioned.

I don't care much for southern rock at all.

My feelings exactly.

It's ok not to like any band....

But on Zepplin's behalf, the guitar work in their catalogue is mind blowing. You don't hear any of those licks in any popular mainstream radio hits. Page was amazing......

In all seriousness, I went through my Zeppelin phase when I was much younger. It's been more than 20 years since I've actually put on a Zeppelin record or cd. I was never that much into the Doors. Not sure why, but it might have been my distaste for the keyboards. When a Zep song comes on the radio, I don't mind listening to it depending on the song.
I know I'm giving away my old age here, but when I first heard U2 back in 1983, it just made the classic rock I was listening to at the time seem so pale and irrelevant. U2 led to other fresh music (The Smiths for example) and so on. And to this day, I'm always seeking out new music.....perhaps in an effort to recreate that initial thrill of discovering U2.

VertigoGal said:
I'm 14...I think financeguy is a bit older, but its only a guess:wink:

so you were right about the age.

i really like the who, but its good to see some people somewhat agree with me...

age has nothing to do with it, at 14 I wanted to be Jim Morrison.

I don't even get that out of it - I've only heard a couple of songs. No appeal what-so-ever... Just like the Dave Matthews Band. No appeal to me...

VertigoGal said:
I'm proud of my little thread...I've created an outlet for individuals to express their dislike for certain popular bands in a safe and nurturing environment. :D:wink:

:lmao: True. I didn't think it would turn into a thread about general musical dislikes.

Back
Top Bottom