i bought two albums yesterday, and i dont like them. you might. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2002, 04:17 PM   #46
Banned

Local Time: 01:09 PM

ok next time it will be pm .

Old 09-16-2002, 04:20 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Aiight

I respect yer opinions, Bubba.

It's great that you HAVE opinions. Bc a lot of people just say what they think or believe and don't really understand WHY.

But no matter how much you didn't want this to go off topic, it DID in fact go off topic.

This should go for every thread....it's ok to go off on little tangents bc no thread should be so boring that everyone says the same thing....but this just went too far off.

I have never liked to single out ppl but this seems to be a consistent occurence....

let's see if it's possible to carry on normally now.

Old 09-16-2002, 04:23 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Sorry about the mess....

Thank you, PinkFloyd.
Old 09-16-2002, 04:26 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i was kidding bubba. i'm not berating you, nor am i trying to silence you. i think you might have read into my reply a little too deeply. if i am attempting to make a serious comment, i usually do not start my reply with oh my cat. i just find it humorous that these coldplay threads keep turning into such emotionally charged fights, that's all.
All apologies... it's just that it does seem that half the time I post anything tangentially related to politics and/or religion, at least two mods go out of their way to gripe about it.

(And, honestly, I didn't know what "omc" meant; I figured it was actually "Oh my Christ.")

MonaVox:

I guess what I meant was that I didn't want this thread to PERMANENTLY diverge. I for one see no problem with even wild digressions if they're short in duration.

Bubba
Old 09-16-2002, 05:04 PM   #50
Acrobat

my ex-girlfriend never removed 'parachutes' from her cd player, and now my roomate won't stop play 'arobtth.'

it's driving me
Old 09-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #51
Refugee

Give in, no disk. Give in.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:22 PM   #52
Acrobat

have you ever given someone a gift and totally regretted it, Bubba?

i should have known better, but i bought 'arobtth' as a b'day present for my roomate, and now i'm because of it.

and to think, about a week ago, i really liked the album
Old 09-17-2002, 12:59 PM   #53
War Child

Local Time: 10:09 AM
death bear and bubba, thanks for the advice.

now i must ask, is "Parachutes" really worth the buy? All the songs i have heard (six of them i think) from there i love.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:21 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Big Grin my 2 cents

I have always said you can't make someone else like something...especially music and food. Either you like it or you don't. You can't convince someone else to like it. Sometimes you can aquire a taste for something new, but that has to be done on your own, not because someone else says you should like it.

Anyway, since I am a U2 fan and the people on this forum are also U2 fans, most of us probably have somewhat similar tastes in music. I have tried some new music because of recommendations I have seen here. For example: I bought Radiohead's Amnesiac (it was on sale). I find the music interesting and have enjoyed it. My husband, who is also a big U2 fan, did not care for it. I will certainly try more Radiohead. I have really gotten into both Doves and Elbow.

Coldplay was a tougher sell for me. I hated the popular song Yellow. (I wanted to stick a sock in his mouth. ) But since I had read such rave reviews I bought the new CD last night. I have it playing in my computer at work, so it is rather soft, but it sounds okay. I can't give it a real listen until I pop it in a play it in my car. That will be the ture test. I am happy there are no Yellowish sounding songs though.

We shall see....
Old 09-17-2002, 01:43 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Will try to steer this back on track

sometimes I buy an album, and am not crazy about it the first time I hear it. Maybe you need to let the Coldplay album grow on you a little.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:04 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Re: my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue

Coldplay was a tougher sell for me. I hated the popular song Yellow. (I wanted to stick a sock in his mouth. ) But since I had read such rave reviews I bought the new CD last night. I have it playing in my computer at work, so it is rather soft, but it sounds okay. I can't give it a real listen until I pop it in a play it in my car. That will be the ture test. I am happy there are no Yellowish sounding songs though.

We shall see....
From Rolling Stone re: "Yellow" : "The guy's voice sounded like a puppy kicked down a flight of stairs, one step at a time, and then kicked back up the flight of stairs. " (Then it goes on to give a good review of the new record.)

I felt a loathing for the song "Yellow" that I had not experienced in a long time. But when everyone here started raving about the new record I tried watching a Coldplay concert on TV last week to see what all the fuss was about, not liking any song I'd ever heard by them (but having never listened to an entire record either). I found them extremely irritating to me in a Yellowish kind of way and changed channels after 3 songs. I figured it was an age thing--that I'm just too old for what strikes me as wimpy music (calm down! just my opinion!). Still, they are better than the vast majority of what's out there. Some of the music is actually really nice and makes me WANT to like them, but I can't get past the voice and just their overall vibe.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:16 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Re: Re: my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Still, they are better than the vast majority of what's out there. Some of the music is actually really nice and makes me WANT to like them, but I can't get past the voice and just their overall vibe.
This can always happen. For me, I have the same thing with the Smashing Pumpkins. The music is quite good, some songs are great and they were better than most contemporaries. But I couldn't hear Billy Corgan singing for more than one song in a row. Man, that was irritating.

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-19-2002, 05:28 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Coldplay have a lovely sound, but unfortunately it becomes a teensy bit boring when taken in album-length doses. I feel the same about Chris Martin's voice; he's charming if a bit too timid, but when he sings in the same melancholic, weary manner song after song, I just get a bit restless. I must say though that Rush... is a great improvement on Parachutes, with more variety in tempo and better-defined songs. It runs out of steam a bit in the second half of the album, but the first five songs are great, especially the slinky "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face".
Old 09-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
Coldplay have a lovely sound, but unfortunately it becomes a teensy bit boring when taken in album-length doses. I feel the same about Chris Martin's voice; he's charming if a bit too timid, but when he sings in the same melancholic, weary manner song after song, I just get a bit restless. I must say though that Rush... is a great improvement on Parachutes, with more variety in tempo and better-defined songs. It runs out of steam a bit in the second half of the album, but the first five songs are great, especially the slinky "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face".
First of all, I just want to say that Chris M. has got to have the best voice in pop/rock music today. As one reviewer described his performance on the new record, "Singer Chris Martin takes his voice on soaring flights, reaching places only Jeff Buckley previously dared to go." Not bad for someone with a timid and weary voice.

The one thing I have to disagree with Saracene on is that the last second half of the album "runs out of steam." Let's just take a run down of the last half:

7. Green Eyes
8. Warning Sign
9. A Whisper
10. A Rush Of Blood To The Head
11. Amsterdam

Okay, so out of these five songs, straight away we have four possible classics, 'Green Eyes' being the most obvious candidate. Like I said earlier, it's that classic Beatles' song - you know, the one that Oasis wished they had written. It's like it was hidden away in a classic rock vault somewhere waiting to be discovered. This will become the summer theme song to many a couple's relationship for years to come.

'Warning Sign' is possibly the best song on the album (though it's so hard to tell when you have songs as good as 'The Scientist' and 'Politik' to compete with). 'A Whisper' is total experimentation for Coldplay, and sounds like nothing else that's being made in mainstream music today - and that goes for even Radiohead. (Someone asked earlier who Coldplay are trying to sound like, U2 or Radiohead? They aren't going for either one. They are unique, but of course they have their influences, just as everyone does.) The closest thing that 'A Whisper' sounds like is maybe early Police - definitely not of this time.

'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' - the urgency behind the pleading and emotional kicks of this song really take flight. This is not sombre music at all. This is flat out rock and roll. Chris's voice soars over the fantastic guitar, bass and percussion in a way that evokes a live feel. This tune needs a good stereo. This is also one of the (many) best songs off the album.

'Amsterdam' - a gorgeous tune built around an ingenious piano arrangement. It doesn't need to be loud. The feeling would be destroyed. Coldplay really walk a fine line toward the end, allowing the song to take off with guitar and drums - but they manage to pull it off. You can almost feel the song begging to be kicked up a notch, and it works. When I first heard that ending, I had a huge smile on my face realizing that Coldplay had just done what I wanted them to do, they gave the song a way to become itself by igniting a small fire under its core - and the ending, "...You came along and you cut me loose..." perfectly closes the album in the most direct and beautiful way.

So let's recap: 5 amazing songs, 4 classics, and a great denoument and poignent closing sentiment. If this album does run out of steam in the second half, it only does so because it has used every particle of it to its utmost capacity, and I would say only by the time we hear the last note of the last song, does this album run out of steam. In short, it gives you everything the band has got at that time. By the end of this record, you don't need stream any more. The tracks are just kind of left behind in a fog, giving way to something much more refined and limitless. The ending is almost like epiphany found, opening up possiblilty once again.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #60
The Fly

Local Time: 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
As one reviewer described his performance on the new record
I really like reviewers