i bought two albums yesterday, and i dont like them. you might. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2002, 10:22 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Normal steve will be over shortly to disconnect your hbo

yeah, I know

*mankisses bear and thinks of

Old 09-15-2002, 10:47 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:00 AM
bear, your review of the new Coldplay album has been helpful, i was contemplating purchasing it tomorrow, but i will take warning, and save money as well. time to dl a couple tracks

long live bear

Old 09-16-2002, 12:43 AM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:00 AM
i LOOOOOOVE the new Coldplay album...but I also LOOOOOVE dull music that i can cry or sleep to.....Sorry you didn't liek it...

I was disappointed in the new Chris Isaak CD if it makes you feel any better...

The upside of not liking new Cds is the fact that you can quickly take them to the Used CD shops and get almost half yer money back since new ones are usually in higher demand....
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 AM   #19
Kid A

well I did a little better than you deathbear and liked 4 or 5 songs

really nice guys though...
Old 09-16-2002, 01:00 AM   #20
New Yorker

wink

Seems we're not alone anymore old boy.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 AM   #21
Kid A

wink

shhhh, let's not spoil the moment with talk
Old 09-16-2002, 01:14 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:00 AM
Its suxs when ya buy something that you think you will like then ya end up not liking it! I have done that a lot myself.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:17 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
shhhh, let's not spoil the moment with talk
that was funny.

wannabe, i hope coldplay wont kill me now. but as is the case with almost any artist, its a good idea to download songs first then buy the album if you like it. it really pays.

the mankissing girls, larrymullen and screaming flower are quite intrigueing.

i am paying attention.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:28 AM   #24
Refugee

Re: i bought two albums yesterday, and i dont like them. you might.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
to my credit, i still have it in my discman and im forcing myself to listen to some of the songs over and over again. but wow...this is bland. to compare this to the joshua tree in terms of greatness is the biggest farce E.V.E.R.
I respectfully - and completely - disagree.

Unfortunately, I can offer little to pursuade you that the album is anything but bland, that it truly is a special work worthy of comparisons to Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.

But I still believe it is. After listening to songs like "The Scientist," "Daylight," "Green Eyes," and "Amsterdam," I don't see how one can deem it bland, uninteresting, or not very good.

Michael Griffiths and I must see SOMETHING in this album.

(wannabe, don't listen to Zoomerang OR me. Listen to the actual songs and make your decision from THAT.)

Zoomerang, I'm not sure how you're previewing this album - whether you're listening to it as a complete work or in piecemeal, whether you're doing something else or giving it your undivided attention. But I suggest you sit down for an hour and listen to the entire album with interruptions or distractions. If you don't like it after that - if you aren't MOVED by it - fine.

But I close with this thought: some people thought "Slippery When Wet" was better than "The Joshua Tree."

Bubba
Old 09-16-2002, 01:30 AM   #25
Refugee

Quick question, while I'm here, Zoomerang. Whaddya think of U2's Boy?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:31 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:00 AM

Neh... IMHO, Coldplay is overrated, ... even back then with Parachutes... Are they Radiohead or U2? U2 or Radiohead?

But, at least they're better than the slew of nu metal bands that are out there.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:42 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba
Quick question, while I'm here, Zoomerang. Whaddya think of U2's Boy?
i love the album, though it doesnt make it into my discman very often. that is a solid album, one of the best debuts from any band ever, imo.

why do you ask, may i ask?

and, yes i will continue listening to it more.

and yes wannabe, i agree with bubba on this one. go listen to some songs on the album to get a good idea. go get the ones he mentioned as being good then decide for yourseslf.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:48 AM   #28
Refugee

The only reason I ask is that, while I believe A Rush of Blood may well be as great as the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (time will tell, of course), it reminds me of nothing more than Boy - a very simple, pure sound designed to deliver the most emotional impact.

While probably not my single favorite U2 album, Boy is also VERY high on my list. I think that, because it's so old and so different from U2's later work, it's their most underrated work.

I was just wondering whether you liked Boy.

Bubba
Old 09-16-2002, 03:26 AM   #29
War Child

Coldplay overrated??

Overrated is a terrible word that usually means "I didn't like it as much as other folks did." Having admitted that I submit that AROBTTH is overrated. Parachutes is overrated. Coldplay is overrated. But only on this board really.
Ironically, I was an early convert. Something about Yellow tugged at me. It could have been just the latest in a long line of Britpop Radiohead rip-offs but I suspected there was more to it than that. So I bough Parachutes and there was. But not much more. Parachutes was all atmosphere with a healthy dose of U2, Travis and Radiohead thrown into the mix. Not bad but lacking in originality and punch. I liked it less and less with each listen. Not a good sign.

AROBTTH is better. The songs are more finely crafted--it's not just atmosphere this time.
But the Joshua Tree? Achtung Baby? The best album since 1997?
In My Place is a beautiful song but it's not exactly the next With Or Without You. WOWY, Streets, Still Haven't Found...they're classics because they meet a number of criteria.
First, they're superlative examples of songwriting. I'll take others at their word that AROBTTH is as well. I don't really agree but that's subjective I guess.
Second the songs on Joshua Tree are incredibly flexible. They can be interpreted in a number of different ways. Is WOWY about Jesus or a woman? Spiritual doubt and yearning or sexual? The song works perfectly well either way. Is Still Haven't Found just a gospel song? What kind of a gospel song revels in doubt anyway? What the heck is Streets "about?" Africa? God? Ali?
Are Coldplay songs that flexible? I would argue no.
Third, Joshua Tree had a unique and original sound. WOWY is a bolero I guess but with a bizarre guitar sound made by a newly invented guitar--the Infinite. There was nothing like it on the radio. The same can be said of Streets. That song is all over the place--one of the most inventive rock songs this side of Bohemian Rhapsody.
Ever heard a Coldplay song that startled you with its originality? I haven't. Ever heard a Coldplay song without thinking of another band or artist? I haven't.

I like Coldplay. I think that they're a good band. But I do think the hype on Interference has been a little perplexing. Better than U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, REM, Radiohead etc, etc?

MAP
Old 09-16-2002, 03:35 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Does everything have to be an argument around here?

Geez...

MAP2K-- I'm not quite sure whether you're arguing for or against Coldplay... Some parts of what you've wrote doesn't make sense. Basically, I have no clue what you're trying to get at.

In any case, I don't feel like debating anyone at this time.

Everyone has their own opinions, more power to them.