how much do cats suck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mikal said:

also, keep in mind. i come from wisconsin, you're dealing with a different breed of humans.

:lol:

Ummm ... I like cats, but cannot be around them for very long because I am very allergic. If I wasn't allergic, I would probably have a cat.

Mikal,

I'm sure you'll make the best pet decision for you and your needs. I've met all kinds of personalities in dogs and kitties. Some dogs are really mean, some are too hyper, and some are just nice. Same goes with kitties. It really all depends on how you treat either kind of animal.

I've had the best luck with kitties because I am a genuine and caring person (which is not to say all animals turn out the same way). I nurture animals, and I take care of them like I would a child. Because of this, my kitty cats have been the most devoted, attentive and affectionate babies you could hope to meet. I think alot of us feel that way.

Heck, my boyfriend's cat is so in love with him (my boyfriend), they spoon with each other while they sleep. Then, during the day, the cat sleeps in his lap and purrs for him. :heart:

I love cats! Although I don't have one and never owned one, we periodically catsit my friends Korat cat. My husband has always hated cats with a passion but about a year ago we went over to our friends house and met their new cat. This cat had such a great personality, she even played catch with my husband. My husband, a cat hater fell in love with this cat I think because she has such a great personality.

Each time our friends go on vacation, they leave Katie, their cat with us. She is so much fun to have around! She is playfull, affectionate and easy to take care of. She even sleeps under the covers, next to me. She is very independant, but also likes to cuddle, but usually on her terms.

My husband always looks forward to Katie coming over, it's unbelievable how much his attidute towards cats has changed. We've even talked about getting our own. We did have a dog who died in 1997 and haven't had another pet since. After having both a cat and a dog, I really think my next pet will be a cat, they are so easy to take care of, especially and indoor cat.

So it is possible to convert a cat-hater!

anitram said:
There are cat people and not-cat people. It's pretty simple, I think.

I think cats are kind of cute, and some of them are really beautiful.

But I would never want one. I can't explain it, but they just creep me out for whatever reason and I always knew, since I was a small child that I didn't like cats. That doesn't mean I hate them - I'll go to my best friend's house and play with hers (boy, is he fat and plump!), but that's about the extent of me ever wanting to interact with them. I haven't had negative experiences or anything, it's just that I'm 100% not a cat person.

I think we're the same person. :p

I feel the same exact way. have to say it carefully or else i'll get branded a "cat hater" here :uhoh: which I'm not, of course. my friend's cat is beautiful and happy and purrs all the time. I'm extremely allergic so I can't pet one or else my eyes will water and get red. That combined with their (perceived) unpredictability makes me shy away from cats.

but if they work for u i'm sure there's a wondeful kitten out there waiting for you to take them home!

I don't see how a cat is any more 'unpredictable' than a dog. A dog is more inclined to lunge at someone and attack than a cat would be. I have never seen a cat do that. :confused:

I have a cat, very lazy, very tame.

I was attacked by a dog as a child, but I never held it against all dogs and am not afraid of them now.

bammo2 said:

So do people keep their cats inside in the states? :ohmy:

over here, kittens have litter trays, and then when they grow up they go outside to play and to poo

Well, at least where I live (in a large city) domestic pets are not allowed to roam free. Besides the fact that it's against the law, it's dangerous for the cat and other native wildlife. I get absolutely furious when I see cats outside. A stray is another matter, but cats that obviously belong to someone - it's just wrong. The cats accross the street from me kill birds all the time, even though they wear bell collars. Also, I have a bunch of guinea pigs that I pen up in my yard b/c they love to eat grass, and they've been attacked by other peoples' cats and dogs, even though I follow the rules and keep them in a pen. The cats in my neighborhood spray all over our house and poop and dig holes in our yard. They fight at night and we often wake up at 3am to screaching and howling. Then in the morning there's gobs of nasty cat hair all over the lawn.

Basically, I see no reason why any domestic cat should be let outide. They're not wild; they've been bred to be inside so you're not harming them by keeping them in. It's just stupid to let them out.

With strays it's a sticky situation b/c most of them are feral and wouldn't do well being caught and kept as a pet, unless they were adopted as young kittens. Also, when you feed a stray, you become legally responsible for it in a lot of places and you can get in trouble if it starts causing trouble with other people. So it's kind of a sad double standard - you want to feed the cat and help it, but it can't go inside b/c it wasn't bred for that, but then if something happens to it outside, you're legally responsible. :(

Vampira said:

I was attacked by a dog as a child, but I never held it against all dogs and am not afraid of them now.

Yeah, me too. My uncle's rotweiler bit my face when I was 4, but I honestly don't remember it. I love dogs too, but right now I want a cat b/c I just don't have enough time and money to properly raise and train a puppy. I can't really get a kitten yet either b/c I'd feel so bad leaving it alone all day, everyday while I'm at work.

It's obviously one of those culture difference things. cats here as a rule generally are pretty free to come and go from their houses via cat flaps. UK cats mostly haven't been bred to be kept inside - everyone who I know who's got a cat lets it outside.

The American Humane Society advises people to keep cats inside, the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in the UK - I guess the equilvalent of the Humane Society) advises that you should only keep a cat if it will be able to have access to an outside space.

:shrug: Different countries do things differently, I guess. Personally I can see the advantages of both approaches, and have no problem with people who choose to do either

No matter what cats, or dogs, do when they run loose, I'd still rather deal with that than what the HUMANS who run loose do, and they are supposed to know better :tsk:

If a cat screeches or a dog barks at night, I don't mind, I'd rather hear that than my drunk neighbors screeching, whooping, or fighting.

If they 'poop' in my yard, oh well, the rain will wash it away. I have also had the sad experience of drunken fools urinating on my lawn, and it stunk worse and lasted longer than any cat or dog pee. Rain won't fix the ruts in my yard the drunk neighbor's truck made, or the broken lock on my trunk where somebody tried bust into it. I guess because I love them so much, I am very tolerant of animals doing animal things. It's the people that need to be 'controlled' but never are :sigh:

Last edited:
Well like I said before my cat was an indoor/outdoor cat and that was per her liking. She wouldn't want to use the litter box so whenever she needed to go out she'd just meow and sit at the door and i'd open it and then she'd be outside for awhile and then come back in. Also when nobody was home we'd let her outside cos she'd want to hang out with her sister. :)

I LOVE both cats and dogs, and have have had tons of both, but slightly prefer cats because they're quieter and probably more like me personality-wise. ;) I think cats are a great pet if you live in an apartment and work full-time because they're more independent than dogs and you can leave them at home during the day (or if you need to be away overnight unexpectedly) and they can use the litterbox and take care of themselves if you just give them food and water.

Cats are like people and have different personalities -- some LOVE attention and will jump into your lap everytime you sit down, while others are a bit more aloof. I agree with BLS on adopting an adult cat if there's a certain personality type you're looking for (and you can find out about habits like clawing, spraying, chewing things, etc.). My mom's cats are both males from the same litter and she's had them since they were weaned, but one is fat and shy around strangers, and the other is skinny and very sociable.

On the indoors/outdoors thing, I've had both, and I think it really depends on where you live. When we lived in the country, our cat would go outside and scratch at the door when he wanted to come back in. There were a lot of health concerns with him, though, because he'd eat mice and rabbits and catch things from them, so he was constantly being taken to the vet for shots and treatments. He eventually had to be put to sleep because he got too sick (though he was about 12 years old and been a stray that adopted us). :( My parents moved a couple of years ago, and their new house has a tiny back yard that's not enclosed at all, so the cat they have now stays inside. He doesn't seem to mind, and just sits in front of the glass door when he wants to watch birds or something. If I lived in a house with a fenced-in garden, I wouldn't mind letting my cats out when I was outside on a nice day, but I don't think I'd just let one roam free because of the health risks, and if you're in a populated area, you have to worry about cars, animal cruelty, etc.

Last edited:
bammo2 said:
Yeah, I didn't mean all cats go outside. My friend's cat, who I mentioned above, generally likes to potter about the house, but he does like to go in the garden. He doesn't go beyond the garden though :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you there. Most of my neighbours have cats that live outside practically 24/7 and I can hardly think of anyone I know in this country who keeps their cats inside. I'm just the exception that proves the rule, lol.

I dont really approve of cats going outside, but it is up to the pet owners discretion whether or not they feel it is safe enough where they live to let their cat outside.

All cats I've ever owned have been indoor only and lead perfectly healthy, happy and SAFE lives. There is just too much that can happen to them outside. Getting hit by cars, getting eaten by wolves/coyotes, mauled by dogs, getting in fights with other cats, mean kids that like to shoot them :| taunt them, torture them, getting lost, catching diseases, you name it. An indoor cat is a safe, happy cat and will generally live a lot longer.

So, mikal, after all this, what have you decided? I'm curious.

Gotta share.. he makes mom proud lol. :D

Playing fetch

sakibigball.jpg

Doing flips

sakiflys2.jpg

GET A RABBIT!! they're just like vegiterian cats, house rabbits rule! but you need to bunny-proof all your wires first, my old bunny chewed through 3 sets of christmas lights when they where on!

Sicy said:

So, mikal, after all this, what have you decided? I'm curious.

i've decided that i'm going to cross breed a dog and a cat so i can have a little of both.

j/k. i'm gonna save a cat from the shelter, and play my guitar for it. i'll break it in with that weezer song where they meow all the time.

seriously, thanks for all the info peeps, i didn't expect this much feedback.

That is a cute name, I like that.

Just go to the shelter, and hang out with a few cats until you find one you like. Older cats are much easier to take care of than kittens, plus like others said you will already know what their personality is like. I think males are normally more affectionate and outgoing. The females I've had have all been feisty little beehatches, just like their mom :sexywink: :laugh:

my friend's black cat is called Merlin :) :up: And my sister's white cat is called Casper :cute:

And another friend's got a black and ginger cat called Frazzles (cos she used to sit in the frying pan when she was a kitten :lol:

Jasper is another good cat name :up:

Good luck with your new friend Mikhail. It's great you're going to be saving a life and giving a shelter cat a home :) :up:

Sicy how big is Saki now? He must be at least as big as Zoey?

Saki is 9.5 pounds now. He is 10 months :)
Zoey is still 11.5 pounds lol.. she's a big girl :D

kidsonthetree.jpg

Here are my babies...

JARVIS
40a01738f07add3d500578a6736f5fc9.jpg

3502ed4cc829e016fc6f88d390017398.jpg

He's my handsome lover kitty.

SPLICK
a401806a1a890079b48b8daa6d397c19.jpg

126005643fb0297013af0e51a6ed5c76.jpg

(he just woke up here, and is saying wasssup! to the camera)

Back
Top Bottom