How did you decide on you apartment? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
How did you decide on you apartment?

I want to find a place to move to by Nov 1st. So far I've looked at 4 apartments in person, a ton of them online, and I've also talked to a lot of landlord's on the phone. At this point I don't know what's the most important things I need to look for when deciding on where to live. I've never in my life lived in an apartment so I don't know how to do this. I only want to be there a year and then buy a townhouse but for now I just want to move out of the parents basement and be able to continue to travel so the townhouse needs to wait.

Two out of the 4 places I've looked at are ok. One is a little smaller than I'd want but it's literally 2 minutes from where I work. The other is huge and alot cheaper but the building is older and in need of a remodel. Plus the laundry is in the basement and it was kind of spooky down there. The smaller one keeps lowering the price but I just don't know if the layout is right....but then again I only want to be there a year I don't really care about a pool, workout room, animals, garage.....it would all be nice but not neccessary right now.

What made you decide on your apartment?

Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:00 AM
price

Old 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM   #3
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 10:00 PM
i live in southern nevada.

it was the only place with grass.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Maybe you should look again if it is evening. most people are at home so you can look if there is a lot of noise ect. from neighbours. I know, it would be only a impression about the neighbourhood but loud neighbours can be a real problem.after a hard day of work.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

If you're only going to be there a year and its just you by yourself, I'd consider finding a cheap one, and also close to work is nice.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:07 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location, Rental price, Size of appartment and how new it is. We got really lucky and found new appartment complex by the Chesapeake Bay for not too expensive.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
Maybe you should look again if it is evening. most people are at home so you can look if there is a lot of noise ect. from neighbours. I know, it would be only a impression about the neighbourhood but loud neighbours can be a real problem.after a hard day of work.
Something I got from my dad when looking for a place to live. Look at the kind of cars that are parked in the direct neighbourhood. They can tell a lot about the kind of people living there.

Marty (lives in the Netherlands though)
Old 09-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm moving into my first apartment in November, and my criteria was price first, if they accepted pets, and how close it was to my mom and to my work.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Something I got from my dad when looking for a place to live. Look at the kind of cars that are parked in the direct neighbourhood. They can tell a lot about the kind of people living there.

That was something a few of my friends told me to look for, too.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I live in half of a duplex, not exactly an appartment, but same idea. I chose first based on location (three blocks from school and work, walking distance to the mall, grocery store, my bank, grandparents), then price, then quality of the neighborhood, then how the rooms are divided up and if there'd be enough people to fill them, and lastly, things like wash machines, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and appliances like that. I got my cat after I moved in and amended the lease with the landlord.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:00 PM
Light, northern light. Except for you it would be southern light cause your northern and Im southern

or as the architects say "space, light and privacy"
Old 09-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

That's a really good point. You should pay a lot of attention to what is around the area, as well. But also, if you find something you like, try and go visit it at different times of the day. You know, if you going during the day, chances are it's going to be quiet and peaceful, but if you come back when people are home from work, you could find something entirely different.

Good luck arw!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I would not live anywhere animals were not welcome, but that's me. Also, I get claustrophobic if the apts. are too close together and you are always running face to face into someone else. My mom recently sold our family home and moved to a small place where her door opens into a well with another person right across the hall and a weird guy who sits on the steps. I also would consider parking. At my mom's place I can never find a place to park, it's worse than shopping.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #14
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I'm moving into my first apartment in November, and my criteria was price first, if they accepted pets, and how close it was to my mom and to my work.
Really!? Congrats girl!!

Are you taking Mia with you? Let me know and I'll give you some good pointers on moving with cats
Old 09-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
arw
Blue Crack Addict

I have a typo in the title.......

I don't know what to do now. I do know the area I work in is expensive to live in but that's where I want to be because Minnesota winters are a nasty mother and I refuse to drive in all of that snow. snow

Anyways.....I've got one to look at tomorrow night. Two months free and a free trip to Vegas but I think it'll cut into my U2 fun if I live there It's still way more than I should spend right now for an apartment.

This sucks.