Hoon Hay, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Ax. I posted my review of your list in the DI pt 4 thread. You cemented a spot in my top five of the rankings.

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it so much! I haven't even begun on a rankings list yet ... besides phanan and Ashley as the top two, I've got no fucking idea.

Listening to uv92's list now, though I'm not sure I should bother since they seem to have disappeared and I expect them to be disqualified for not submitting a ranking.

Your lovely lovely lovely lovely horse, running through the fields?

Love the e-mails Borders has been sending out about how it's still open for business and it's "Australia's favourite bookshop" and that we should all join their VIP club. Or is that the "moving deckchairs on the Titanic" club?

Borders is a fucked bookshop. Really, I don't get its appeal. It's SO overpriced and the range is unimpressive, I reckon. If you're that pedantic and book snobbish, then you'd not be a fan of the mighty fluorescent chain book shop, no? There's lots of places to get good reads. Borders is shit. I feel for the employees only.

Reggie, what happened with cricket bat guy? I've missed a lot. Do I need to get all Cambodian on someone for you?

He said asked me to marry him, then said "just kidding".

Is this a boyfriend type? :angry: what an arse. Did you bitch slap him? I think you should. You need to say, "I've been thinking about that dick head fake proposal you pulled out of your arse, and I've decided -", then slap him.

Borders is a fucked bookshop. Really, I don't get its appeal. It's SO overpriced and the range is unimpressive, I reckon. If you're that pedantic and book snobbish, then you'd not be a fan of the mighty fluorescent chain book shop, no? There's lots of places to get good reads. Borders is shit. I feel for the employees only.

Remember when it used to be better? Sigh.

At least Dymocks isn't going bust. Angus & Robertson is the worst bookshop I've ever been to, almost no range and it's all droll, flaky bollocks for fifties-esque housewives and suckers for fads, so I couldn't give a shit about them (shame about the staff). Borders ... there are a couple handy to me, so it's probably the chain I visit most frequently, and they do tend to have a BIT more to their non-fiction sections than elsewhere, but their prices are ludicrous.

If I really want to buy books, well, I know where to go and it sure isn't Borders/A&R/Dymocks/QBD/whoever. Independents and secondhands for the win. The uni bookshop is pretty good too, though usually a shame about the price.

Remember when it used to be better? Sigh.

At least Dymocks isn't going bust. Angus & Robertson is the worst bookshop I've ever been to, almost no range and it's all droll, flaky bollocks for fifties-esque housewives and suckers for fads, so I couldn't give a shit about them (shame about the staff). Borders ... there are a couple handy to me, so it's probably the chain I visit most frequently, and they do tend to have a BIT more to their non-fiction sections than elsewhere, but their prices are ludicrous.

If I really want to buy books, well, I know where to go and it sure isn't Borders/A&R/Dymocks/QBD/whoever. Independents and secondhands for the win. The uni bookshop is pretty good too, though usually a shame about the price.

It might be a location thing to an extent as well. There's one Borders that's about a 30 min drive away, and then the A&R and Dymocks in town. The Dymocks is just a truly awful shop. Everything about it is awful. Everything from the hideous peach colour of the place to the staff who don't know what day it is = awful. I only go to one A&R and it has great prices and a good range of 'a little bit different'. Even then, I don't go in much these days but their art reference books can be good, and then I often find a little gem here or there - but that may be because I am compulsive with book buying.

You're right re: Borders range. The crime and law section is obviously ordered by someone with an IQ of 80 or under, but they have some good sci-fi and interesting history and things. But the price... Sigh.

It might be a location thing to an extent as well. There's one Borders that's about a 30 min drive away, and then the A&R and Dymocks in town. The Dymocks is just a truly awful shop. Everything about it is awful. Everything from the hideous peach colour of the place to the staff who don't know what day it is = awful. I only go to one A&R and it has great prices and a good range of 'a little bit different'. Even then, I don't go in much these days but their art reference books can be good, and then I often find a little gem here or there - but that may be because I am compulsive with book buying.

You're right re: Borders range. The crime and law section is obviously ordered by someone with an IQ of 80 or under, but they have some good sci-fi and interesting history and things. But the price... Sigh.

Huh, really? The A&Rs I've been to in Victoria and Queensland have just been embarrassing ... I associate the place with cheap scumminess, in the same way as you might think of the Reject Shop or any $2 shop in relation to a normal department store. The one in Moonee Ponds has about ... three aisles, stocking next-to-nothing. Dymocks to me usually seems to make an effort to have decent classics representation in their fiction section and have a bit more contemporary fiction than just Twilight and Tom Clancy, and their history sections are sound enough by chain store standards (not saying much).

But oh god, allow me a brief moan about history sections? Little depresses me more as a historian than to go to any suburban chain bookshop and look at the woeful excuse for a history section. No wonder people are so fucking ignorant about history (and consequently a lot of things and mouth off stupid shit at election time) when this is all they're offered! Between history sections that struggle to include anything beyond ANZAC and war glorification and A History Of Bogan Brewery X and OUTRIGHT FICTION like Menzies' 1421 and a school system that downplays history to an extreme and sells students the lie that history is just meaningless names and dates with no relevance to today's world, I'm hardly surprised most people couldn't care less and don't think history means anything. But goddamn it makes me livid and sad. I went to a Whitcoull's in New Zealand and the "history" section just about made me cry. I think I counted about three books that I actually thought were worth owning or would enlighten the average person's view on Kiwi history.

*takes breath* Anyway ...

Is this a boyfriend type? :angry: what an arse. Did you bitch slap him? I think you should. You need to say, "I've been thinking about that dick head fake proposal you pulled out of your arse, and I've decided -", then slap him.

Maybe add, "just kidding", after it.

:laugh: I love you, Anna. I think the general consensus around here is to smack him with a cricket bat, then castrate him and tan his scrotum for a souvenir. Cause if he's going to act as stupid as a 'roo, we should treat him like one. He also has a tendency to eviscerate me, emotionally at least.

It went like this:
Dave: "I've got a proposal for you."
Me: "Hmm?"
Dave: "Will you marry me? *grins* Just kiddin'. You wanna watch Dexter?"
Me: *thinking* "You bastard."

It was one-thirty in the morning, I was exhausted because I had worked till ten that night and then gone over to his to spend the night because I had the Comcast/NBCUniversal Convention at 7, and he lives literally 2 blocks away from where it was held. So I couldn't exactly bitch-slap him that night. And then he got up at quarter to six with me to drive me to said Comcast Convention, and I was so tired still that I didn't bitch-slap him then. Last night he would have been a prime target for bitch-slapping, but then he sang a Fleetwood Mac ballad to me and I went all gooey inside. Damn him, damn him straight to hell.

By the way, those of you who watch Adam Hills' show, I hope you spotted me last night! After my appearance as the guitarist of Neon Trees, I am now the frontman for Little Red.

Axver said:
By the way, those of you who watch Adam Hills' show, I hope you spotted me last night! After my appearance as the guitarist of Neon Trees, I am now the frontman for Little Red.

U-Wen is in the band as well.

Ah, 7 Bent street... I remember your demise well.

Ooh, I took a photo of that new thing on Clayton Rd the other day...

Thought you'd recall that one! I'm kind of disappointed that we don't seem to be getting a repeat with the drug house on Albion St any time soon. Looks like today's entry may be another Bent St charmer ...

Oh yes?

Wow, Pakistan's starting shakily against Canada tonight.

Thought you'd recall that one! I'm kind of disappointed that we don't seem to be getting a repeat with the drug house on Albion St any time soon. Looks like today's entry may be another Bent St charmer ...

Oh yes?

That street is giving you loads of blog value!

And yes... Just a crappy phone pic, but I don't think I did finish my crappy-phone-pic-spam before!

It's not quite as bad as I remembered it, I think I was more surprised than nauseated when I first saw it. Nevertheless, it is archetypal Modern "Architecture"...

01032011sml.jpg

Well shit Holland, way to implode against South Africa after a respectable start!

That street is giving you loads of blog value!

And yes... Just a crappy phone pic, but I don't think I did finish my crappy-phone-pic-spam before!

It's not quite as bad as I remembered it, I think I was more surprised than nauseated when I first saw it. Nevertheless, it is archetypal Modern "Architecture"...

01032011sml.jpg

It's still pretty damn ugly and boxy. It deserves a right serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom