Hole of Horcum Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:

I'll choose choice B.

Sculptured not only opened with another sampling, but the death growls have returned. I was getting worried.

I should point out conclusion of the sample at the end of this track is the most pivotal part of the entire tracklist.

And you're going to make fun of it, I know.

Axver said:

I should point out conclusion of the sample at the end of this track is the most pivotal part of the entire tracklist.

And you're going to make fun of it, I know.

I kind of like the sampling, I just find it jarring to have in such a heavy track.

The fiddle or banjo coming it at the middle of this song really took me by surprise.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I once saw somebody who spelled it Chassidee. They have bigger fish to fry.

Good non-existent God. I'm kind of confused how people can miss the fact that the first syllable is 'chast'. Do you people really slur your words or something?

Oh, by the way, I found a place in Kentucky on Wikipedia called Hell For Certain. Somebody was onto something, huh?

Are these samples from a Bergman film? They sound like something that would be in there; pretty awesome lines of dialogue.

Coolian, where would you put Semi-Pro against other Will Ferrell flicks?

When it's spelled without the first T, it's completely pronounced without it too. I'm glad I don't have that first T. The last thing I need is a tit in my name.

Also, I now want to move to Hell For Certain.

Axver said:

I don't think there's any metal at all on Judgement, except perhaps Pitiless.

They get softer with each subsequent album, really. I highly recommend A Fine Day To Exit. Release in particular is an awesome track.

if you send it to me i'll listen, but i don't have any anathema on the campus network

i like some of the tracks better than others, sonically, but for the most part the lyrics make me roll my eyes. jesus take some prozac. but a few might be good to consider for my DI concept

LemonMacPhisto said:

I kind of like the sampling, I just find it jarring to have in such a heavy track.

The fiddle or banjo coming it at the middle of this song really took me by surprise.

Sculptured are all over the place. Probably the best avantgarde death metal band, if you ask me. They bring in all kinds of non-metal instruments and do it very cohesively.

Axver said:

Sculptured are all over the place. Probably the best avantgarde death metal band, if you ask me. They bring in all kinds of non-metal instruments and do it very cohesively.

It sounds like a very popular genre, that's for sure.

I really want to hear with the guy's saying, but the instrumentation's mixed a bit too loud.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Are these samples from a Bergman film? They sound like something that would be in there; pretty awesome lines of dialogue.

The one at the end is from Orwell's 1984. Not that I've ever seen a film version of 1984, but the references to Winston and the content make it seem fairly certain to me.

But the members of Agalloch - Sculptured is a side project - do like their Ingmar Bergman and have sampled his work multiple times.

elmel, remind me what the tracks are going for?

i actually liked the first 30 seconds, genuinely.

then the distorted metal kicks in, which isn't bad for your in-home production i have to say - that is what you did, right?

Varitek said:

we must go there!!!

Hell yes. :wink:

Ian and I have both agreed we need to hit more of the Indian subcontinent too. We've done Bangalore but that's about it. At least Cumbum, Tamil Nadu is next.

There's also Saddam Hussein Town in Sri Lanka.

Axver said:

Ian and I have both agreed we need to hit more of the Indian subcontinent too. We've done Bangalore but that's about it. At least Cumbum, Tamil Nadu is next.

:up:

i still have bookmarked the page in the thread where i listed a bunch of places to go to...

Llanfairynghornwy
toad suck
hot water
boogerhollow
etc

Axver said:

The one at the end is from Orwell's 1984. Not that I've ever seen a film version of 1984, but the references to Winston and the content make it seem fairly certain to me.

But the members of Agalloch - Sculptured is a side project - do like their Ingmar Bergman and have sampled his work multiple times.

I still really need to read 1984. It's been on the list for way too long, but school-assigned books take precedence.

The Cure track is pretty chill and melodic. I needed a break from all of the heavy stuff.

Varitek said:

but for the most part the lyrics make me roll my eyes. jesus take some prozac.

Indeed.

Also, there are fewer things in this world as unrealistic and cartoonish as death growls. If someone in the middle of the street came up to me and shouted "HOW ARE YOU TODAY?!?!?!?death" I wouldn't want to fuck with them, but that's never happened. Therefore, I maintain that it's a ridiculous form of communication.

Varitek said:

:up:

i still have bookmarked the page in the thread where i listed a bunch of places to go to...

Llanfairynghornwy
toad suck
hot water

etc

Eat your heart out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SP-KP/ToDo/salvage2

That's a salvaged version of Wikipedia's now butchered Unusual Place Names article. Apparently this list was unencyclopaedic. But it's fucking hilarious and I'm glad somebody saved it.

Axver said:

There's also Saddam Hussein Town in Sri Lanka.

haha caught you before your edit

why does he have a town in sri lanka?

Varitek said:
elmel, remind me what the tracks are going for?

i actually liked the first 30 seconds, genuinely.

then the distorted metal kicks in, which isn't bad for your in-home production i have to say - that is what you did, right?

LemonMelon said:

First track = progressive rock band Monolithic Eyeball of The Silmarillion

Second track = death metal trio Octavium

Third track = Icelandic post-rock band Ue˜Ú

Fourth track = indie rock band Haimerej

Glad you don't mind the production. I'm just used to it by now, but wasn't sure how others would feel.

For the record, the entire STATE of Kentucky is Hell for Certain, that city's just on top of it's game

LemonMelon said:

Indeed.

Also, there are fewer things in this world as unrealistic and cartoonish as death growls. If someone in the middle of the street came up to me and shouted "HOW ARE YOU TODAY?!?!?!?death" I wouldn't want to fuck with them, but that's never happened. Therefore, I maintain that it's a ridiculous form of communication.

Well, by your logic, singing is a ridiculous form of communication too, since nobody's going to walk up to you and try to communicate by song.

I'd be pretty fucking disturbed if I went up to the counter at the supermarket and they either sung or growled "how are you, do you need a bag for that?" at me. Doesn't make it ridiculous in context though.

I honestly don't get the fuss about the growls, to be honest. I mean, it's like being pissed off because somebody sings in the key of A or whatever. So what?

This Porcupine Tree song is the best song on here that I haven't heard before.

Really beautiful stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom