Hippie Music Appreciation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest problem with this thread of mine is that we don't have an agreed definition of 'hippie music'. We're all evaluating each other's song additions and answering each other's questions using our own definitions of 'hippie music'.

For me, 'hippie music' simply means music that hippies listened to on a regular or at least a semi-regular basis.

You can't tell me that hippies never listened to Freebird or Janis Joplin or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan.

The point, however, is that your definiton of 'hippie' music might well be different from mine.

Oh, and dr.zooeuss still hasn't explained why he's glad we've 'moved on' from the 'hippie phase' or what exactly we've 'moved on' to.

namkcuR said:
The biggest problem with this thread of mine is that we don't have an agreed definition of 'hippie music'.

Oh, and dr.zooeuss still hasn't explained why he's glad we've 'moved on' from the 'hippie phase' or what exactly we've 'moved on' to.

To me, 'hippie music' is music that's deeply connected to the natural world. It's also a kind of folk music that strongly questions our relationship with technology, consumerism, and politics. It's a pretty open definition, but that's how I see it. In the youtube clip I posted earlier, I think Kermit nails it down pretty well. :wink:

I don't really get the 'moved on' comment...I personally think we need more of that kind of ethos in music, and in society, overall.

Moonlit_Angel said:
Regarding Neil Young, I'm only going based off what I've heard by him, which isn't a whole lot, but what I love about his music is how it always has this sort of spooky, fall-ish, late night feel to it all. It's sorta haunting, or something, and I really like it when music sounds that way. Like BonosSaint said, a mood-yeah, he's definitely good at that.

(It's not from the 60s, but seriously, "Harvest Moon"...:drool:. I love that song so much)

That's an awesome definition, as BonosSaint points out. :up:

It's true about Neil having that fall-ish/night feel--maybe those are the times that really mirror his stark contrasts. I love that kind of music, as well. To me, Radiohead are the only other current-day band that can match his level of melancholy, thoughtfulness, and raw beauty.

Also, seeing how you are "Moonlit_Angel," it's worth noting that Neil's work probably has more mentions of 'moon' than just about any artist in recorded history. :wink:

I used to be crazy about Woodstock 69, peace, love, music and all that stuff. And then 90s grunge and alternative rock happened... :combust:

angelordevil said:

Also, seeing how you are "Moonlit_Angel," it's worth noting that Neil's work probably has more mentions of 'moon' than just about any artist in recorded history. :wink:

He pays attention to the moon phases when he writes, our pagan boy. (Or so he says)

While I could go on and on about Neil Young....

There was something infinitely trippy about 60's, early 70's music. By namkcur's definition, which is fine with me, you'd have to include Ravi Shankar. Arlo Guthrie. I love "White Rabbit." I can't live on a steady diet of that period, but it's predominent in my music collection.

PS A "friend' pointed out to me that Neil sounds like Kermit in some songs. Damned if she wasn't right. I had to do a lot of drinking that night to get that image out of my system. But both Neil and I survived the comparison. So the Rainbow Connection freaked me out a little.:wink:

Last edited:
angelordevil said:
To me, 'hippie music' is music that's deeply connected to the natural world. It's also a kind of folk music that strongly questions our relationship with technology, consumerism, and politics. It's a pretty open definition, but that's how I see it. In the youtube clip I posted earlier, I think Kermit nails it down pretty well.

I don't really get the 'moved on' comment...I personally think we need more of that kind of ethos in music, and in society, overall.

I totally agree, I wish that that sort of mentality wouldn't just be laughed off and dismissed so easily-it's kinda sad that it is. And I like your description of hippie music, too-there's a definite "connection with nature" belief that hippies tend to support from what I've observed, so I think you're spot on there. I'd also say that it tends to deal strongly with pacifist ideals as well-the whole "peace and love" thing that I referred to earlier.

Originally posted by angelordevil
That's an awesome definition, as BonosSaint points out. :up:

It's true about Neil having that fall-ish/night feel--maybe those are the times that really mirror his stark contrasts. I love that kind of music, as well. To me, Radiohead are the only other current-day band that can match his level of melancholy, thoughtfulness, and raw beauty.

Thanks to you and BonosSaint, I'm glad to see others notice that in his music, too :). That's interesting to see Radiohead be compared to Neil Young-I never thought of it that way, but I can see where you're getting that. I only know a handful of Radiohead songs (I still have yet to hear an album of theirs in its entirety-I know, I'm horrendously behind :reject:... I have every intention of fixing that down the line, though, trust me), but based off of what I've heard, you're right, those words definitely can describe their music, too, which is why I like the songs I've heard by them as well. I just love music that has a real atmosphere, that allows me to paint vivid mental images when I listen to it, that can make your hair stand on end. And Radiohead can certainly do that, as can Neil Young. Just never thought to compare the two before.

Originally posted by angelordevil

LOL! Ah, well, the whole "moon" thing came from a misheard U2 lyric, but now that you mention it, and now that I think about it, I do seem to like bands that reference the moon, or nightfall, or have that sort of feel to them. I'm a night owl as it is, maybe that's the reason why I find myself attracted to music that deals with the night. So knowing that about Neil Young certainly doesn't hurt :).

Angela

BonosSaint said:
PS A "friend' pointed out to me that Neil sounds like Kermit in some songs. Damned if she wasn't right. I had to do a lot of drinking that night to get that image out of my system. But both Neil and I survived the comparison. So the Rainbow Connection freaked me out a little.:wink:

:lol: This is hilarious! I swear, about an hour ago I was doing 'research' on Google to see if there was indeed a Neil/Kermit connection! I was thinking he may have inspired Jim Henson (Kermit's creator), but I had no such luck. Definite similarities in their voices. I still think The Rainbow Connection is the best damn song ever performed by a puppet. :wink:

Moonlit_Angel said:
I just love music that has a real atmosphere, that allows me to paint vivid mental images when I listen to it, that can make your hair stand on end. And Radiohead can certainly do that, as can Neil Young. Just never thought to compare the two before.

From what I've heard (and seen), Thom Yorke's a big fan of Neil. Radiohead occasionally play a cover of Cinnamon Girl, as well as After the Gold Rush. This is from a concert a few years back, where that song leads into their own song, Everything In It's Right Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDXi6mCNzp8 It's cut off, unfortunately, but still so great.

This is perhaps the most stirring After the Gold Rush version I've ever seen/heard Neil do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdvic9cRsFM Catch the "moon" mention!

By the way, if you're looking to get into a Radiohead album as an experience, I'd go with either Kid A (my favourite), or OK Computer (which is generally regarded as their masterpiece). In Rainbows, the new album, will probably be in that same realm of greatness, once it settles in a bit.

BonosSaint said:
While I could go on and on about Neil Young....

He could derail many a good thread. :drool:

angelordevil said:
From what I've heard (and seen), Thom Yorke's a big fan of Neil. Radiohead occasionally play a cover of Cinnamon Girl, as well as After the Gold Rush. This is from a concert a few years back, where that song leads into their own song, Everything In It's Right Place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDXi6mCNzp8 It's cut off, unfortunately, but still so great.

This is perhaps the most stirring After the Gold Rush version I've ever seen/heard Neil do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdvic9cRsFM Catch the "moon" mention!

I did not know that. That's pretty cool-nice song choices, too. I'll check out that link, as well as the Neil one, too, thanks for sharing them (and I'll keep an ear out for the "moon" stuff, too :p).

angelordevil said:
By the way, if you're looking to get into a Radiohead album as an experience, I'd go with either Kid A (my favourite), or OK Computer (which is generally regarded as their masterpiece). In Rainbows, the new album, will probably be in that same realm of greatness, once it settles in a bit.

I've seen those two albums get recommended a lot, and heard quite a few good things about both of them (and have heard a few songs here and there from both, so I've already had a taste of each of them, which is nice). I'll definitely check them out. And I'm really curious about In Rainbows, too, especially given their marketing strategy for it. Thanks for the recommendations :).

Angela

BonosSaint said:
I love "White Rabbit."

:yuck: Sorry, we just listened to that song for a music class I'm taking, and I can't stand it. The singer, I forget her name, has a really interesting voice, but that's the only thing I sort of liked about it.

Though, we did just listen to Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You," which was very enjoyable. She has a fabulous voice. I also am liking James Taylor currently...and Simon & Garfunkel is always a good choice.

I take "hippie music" literally - music from the big time o' the hippie, the late 60s, starting with 1967, the summer of love. That's why when you brought up Zeppelin, my mind immediately rejected it, because chronologically, it wasn't the right time period.

You should have included Crosby Stills Nash and Young. :huh:

I was listening to Suite: Judy Blue Eyes earlier today. Good stuff. :cool:

corianderstem said:
I take "hippie music" literally - music from the big time o' the hippie, the late 60s, starting with 1967, the summer of love. That's why when you brought up Zeppelin, my mind immediately rejected it, because chronologically, it wasn't the right time period.

But...Zeppelin's first four records(I, II, III, and ZOSO) were released between 1969 and 1971.

1969 is right in the thick of hippie times.

Skynyrd is NOT hippie music. Not even close. Freebird came out in 1973, and the hippie movement was pretty much dead by then.

namkcuR said:

Why are you glad we've moved on?

well to be fair, i wasn't alive then and don't know firsthand what it was like, i'm an 80s child...

to me the love and peace were great but i think of the "excesses" a la the Neil young quote... drug abuse, etc etc...

and from a musical standpoint it gets stale after awhile..

corianderstem said:

To piggyback on the previous question, moved on from what? Moved on from that style of music, or the "phase"?

both.

when and where i first really got into music, in the late 80s and early 90s, lots of my peers considered the hippie age as the golden age of pop culture. while i recognize some of the music and some of the ideas as great, i think it was always kind of half-baked (no pun intended)...

:wink:

...even in the years that it was being created.

as far as looking back to golden ages goes, i get at least as much from jazz, swing, soul and ragtime music, which
(with the possible exception of soul) have never enjoyed the sort of retro-admiration that "the sixties" have.

Some good music is timeless. [/B][/QUOTE]

some, absolutely i agree with that 100%

and as it happens Neil Young is one of my favorites who got his start in that era.

to me it's no coincidence that he's lasted much longer than most acts from that era, and that his scope always seemed bigger than most of his contemporaries from "the sixties".

namkcuR said:
The biggest problem with this thread of mine is that we don't have an agreed definition of 'hippie music'. We're all evaluating each other's song additions and answering each other's questions using our own definitions of 'hippie music'.

For me, 'hippie music' simply means music that hippies listened to on a regular or at least a semi-regular basis.

You can't tell me that hippies never listened to Freebird or Janis Joplin or Led Zeppelin or Bob Dylan.

The point, however, is that your definiton of 'hippie' music might well be different from mine.

sorry, i was away for a few days.. i do that sometimes :wink:

hopefully my above replies to other comments will serve to explain "why i'm glad we've moved on"

as far as what we've moved on to.. there've been lots of movements, musical eras and popular philosophies since the "hippie phase", so much so that i don't understand you if you mean to imply that we're still in the hippie era?

definitely the iraq war bears some resemblance to the viet nam war , and i disagree with the majority of the motivations behind both wars.

even if there's a strong parallel there, i don't think the current times match the sixties or the hippie era very strongly.

i value some things in common with hippie "philosophy" - first to mind are peace, a loving approach toward life and others, and environmental protection// preservation.

i also take considerable issue with some common hippie values such as neo-luddism, drug use and anarchism.

not that all "hippies" value all of these things, but to go by general understandings of hippie values, that's what i mean.

musically, i mean to say that i'm glad that in 2007 hippie music is not still dominating the cutting edge of music. to name a few... i'm glad we've had reggae, punk, hip-hop, electronica, alt//country, 'indie' and neo-soul...

hope i've been clear.

ps some of my favorite "hippie era" musicians (you'll notice most of them had careers that spanned more time than the late 60s)

(in order of my preference for them, not their "hippie-ness")

The Beatles (late stuff, obviously)
Stevie wonder
Neil Young
CSN(&Y)
Simon & Garfunkel
Bob Dylan
CCR
Joni Mitchell
Sly & the Family Stone
Joe Cocker
Rolling Stones
Santana
Carly Simon
The Who
Ritchie Havens
Jimi Hendrix

a question for the experts - when was the hippie era?

if i had to guess i'd say 1967 to 1971?

really pretty short, all things considered.

dr. zooeuss said:
as far as looking back to golden ages goes, i get at least as much from jazz, swing, soul and ragtime music, which
(with the possible exception of soul) have never enjoyed the sort of retro-admiration that "the sixties" have.

This is quite true-those eras always seem to be forgotten. I haven't heard TONS of stuff from any of those genres, but I agree, they all produced their share of great stuff as well. I tend to have a bit of an affinity for that 30s/40s "smokey bar/lounge" sound or that WW2 era jazziness and stuff (i.e., songs along the lines of that "Bugle Boy" one-the exact title escapes me now, but hopefully you know what I mean?).

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

This is quite true-those eras always seem to be forgotten. I haven't heard TONS of stuff from any of those genres, but I agree, they all produced their share of great stuff as well. I tend to have a bit of an affinity for that 30s/40s "smokey bar/lounge" sound or that WW2 era jazziness and stuff (i.e., songs along the lines of that "Bugle Boy" one-the exact title escapes me now, but hopefully you know what I mean?).

Angela

yep, i hear ya! :up:

namkcuR said:

But...Zeppelin's first four records(I, II, III, and ZOSO) were released between 1969 and 1971.

1969 is right in the thick of hippie times.

Ah, okay. I don't know my Zeppelin history. :wink:

But I still don't consider Zeppelin "hippie music."

Zeppelin is more Tolkien than Summer of Love.

(I got THAT part of my Zeppelin stuff right ... right? :reject: )

dr. zooeuss said:

re: Tolkien...

it's just a couple of lines in one song, isn't it?

Just off the top of my head...

Ramble On
Misty Mountain Hop
Battle Of Evermore
Stairway To Heaven
Over The Hills And Far Away
The Rain Song (?)
Black Mountain Side

All reference the books.

wow, really. Ramble On is all i knew about.

i guess i thought tunes like "Battle of Evermone" were more about Norse mythology or somesuch than LOTR...

then again, i've never been a huge Zeppelin fan, don't think i've even heard all of those songs.

out of curiosity, what in Stairway is a Tolkien reference?

dr. zooeuss said:

out of curiosity, what in Stairway is a Tolkien reference?

There are many, but the one that sticks out the most to me is:

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

Back
Top Bottom