Hey... the Mets finally made a good move! (knock on wood)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
NEW YORK -- Omar Minaya is leaving the Montreal Expos to become the head of baseball operations for the New York Mets.

Minaya, the general manager of the Montreal Expos for the past three seasons, was contacted earlier this week and told the Mets on Tuesday that he would leave the Expos to return to New York, a baseball official said Tuesday on the condition he not be identified.

Omar Minaya is leaving the Expos to return to the Mets' front office, according to AP, but his job description is unclear.

Mets owner Fred Wilpon declined comment when reached at his home Tuesday night.

Minaya had spoken with the Mets last offseason and was offered a job, but declined it when he was not offered full decision-making power. General manager Jim Duquette will work under Minaya in the hierarchy, although Minaya's formal title has not yet been determined, the baseball official said. Minaya and Duquette will report to Wilpon and to the team's senior executive vice present, Jeff Wilpon.

It appears that the Mets believe Minaya and Duquette can co-exist because they worked as assistant general managers with the Mets under Steve Phillips, until Minaya left for Montreal in 2002.

New York called a news conference for Thursday to make what the team said would be a "major announcement."

He was senior assistant general manager of the Mets before he was hired by the commissioner's office as general manager of the Expos in 2002. The first Hispanic GM in the major leagues, Minaya is known for his emphasis on scouting and player development -- Minaya discovered and signed Sammy Sosa with the Texas Rangers in 1985, his first year as a scout.

New York flopped in the second half this year and heads into the final four days of the season with a 70-88 record, fourth in the NL East, ahead of only the Expos.

The Mets already have told manager Art Howe that he is being fired at the end of the season, halfway through a $9.4 million, four-year contract. Jim Fregosi is considered a strong candidate to replace Howe.

Minaya's status with the Expos was uncertain. The team likely will be moved to Washington, D.C., next year, with an announcement possible as soon as Wednesday. The franchise, bought by the other 29 teams before the 2002 season, likely will be sold during the offseason.

DaveC said:
Yeah...real good move...The Expos. We all know how fan-fucking-tastic they turned out to be. :rolleyes:

not minaya's fault. a few years ago he did all that he possibly could with the limited budget that he had to try to make them contenders. he's really a great gm and could really do a lot of good things to a team now that he has the cap space. probably the most underrated gm in the game.

of course, it'll be interesting to see how he goes from the smallest market to under constant scrutiny.

well omar's job prior to GM of les expos was with the mets... so he's used to the new york media. not to mention the fact that he grew up in queens.

if omar minya was our GM last off season, Vlad is playing in Flushing today. he's got a great eye for talent, he did the best he could in an impossiable situation (montreal)... he discovered the likes of jose reyes, edgardo alfonso & sammy sosa. he's a great pick up if and only if the friggin wilpons leave him alone and let him do his job.

Last edited:
So should we expect the Mets to play 20-30 home games in San Juan next year?
Though I must give them credit, I predicted a 70 win season for them, and they currently stand at 70-89, so if they can avoid being swept at home this weekend by the Washington Beltways, they'll have exceeded my expectations for the franchise.

If they let Omar do his thing, the mets should vastly improve. If I had my way, I'd move Mike behind the plate, get carlos delgado to play first base and Maglio Ordonez to play left field. Cliff Floyd can sell hot dogs in the mezzanine section.

Perhaps if they can dump some salary....Do not resign Leiter (Save 10 million), trade Floyd for inexpensive prosepcts...

Problem w/ that is who pitches in Al's spot....Heilman? LOL. Yates? perhaps...

Yeah Delgado at first, Ordonez in left, and while the Mets are spending lets add Nomar at short, Pedro into the rotation and a partridge in a pear tree.

and i bet Omar would try to "resurect" Sammy's career - that would turn into another Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, Alomar, Baerga, Cedeno, Bonilla, Juan Samuel, Vince Colman......

Back
Top Bottom