He picks on Band Aid part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Just saw this on Darkness' forum:

' The Darkness Justin Hawkins has slammed the current Band Aid 20 version of Do They Know Its Christmas, calling it the worst christmas record ever. Hawkins who contributes to the Band Aid 20 single apparently made comments at the two Darkness gigs in Manchester this week. The Evening Standard reports that Hawkins played the first few bars of the song to the audience at the gigs before saying: "Who wants to listen to this s**t?" the singer made the comments even despite the fact that he was eager to be included in the Band Aid 20 project. Earlier reports suggested that he was outraged when Bono was asked to record the "tonight thank god its them instead of you" line instead of Hawkins, giving a possible motivation for his vitriol. not content with a single blasting of the record however, Hawkins also told a second Darkness gig that he considered the Band Aid 20 song to be depressing and dull. Hawkins comments have led to a backlash amongst Darkness and Band Aid fans alike. one concert-goer told The Standard that: "Justins snide remarks put a real dampener on the evening. They were totally unnecessary". Manchesters Key 103 radio station also said that it had been receiving a flood of complaints about the singers comments.

- Not only does he have to put up a stink over Bono's line, he bashes a charity song, which he was involved in, sang multiple lines and he plays the guitar.

Has anyone seen the new issue of NME (the one with the 3d pic of the druggie guy from the libertines)? Bono made a comment about how he's assuming the guy was trying to be funny. But I think these comments show he's just being an ass...

U2girl said:
he was outraged when Bono was asked to record the "tonight thank god its them instead of you" line instead of Hawkins
yeah it was personal, it couldn't POSSIBLY be because that's what bono sang the first time around. :rolleyes:

i always thought the darkness were a gimmick band, and this just shows that he feels his band's popularity may be slipping. any publicity is good publicity.

He's just trying to buy cheap publicity and coming across as an ass. What a tool. :|

he's an ass, but he's right in one area...the song rots. bbc even had a story recently about how some stations have been bombarded with so many compaints about the song, that they pulled it from their rotation.

buy the single for the cause, not for the music. at least that's what i'd do anyway.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i always thought the darkness were a gimmick band, and this just shows that he feels his band's popularity may be slipping. any publicity is good publicity.

Alright.

Doesn't change the fact that, novelty joke band or not, he put out one of the more fun records of 2003 AND had the guts to show up Radiohead and thus annoy half-a-million people who simply take that band too seriously.

Other than that the group are entirely Norwich supporters (although they're from Lowestoft) and thus anything they say is usually crap. :wink:

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
What were you doing on a Darkness forum?

:shifty:

:wink:

:D

I was just looking for their fans' opinion on the Bono vs Justin's line and I found this article.

beli said:
Is Justin missing from the Bandaid 20 video? I couldnt see him. I have only watched it once though.....

No, he's in it a few times.
In one clip he's singing beside Joss Stone

Originally posted by Lara Mullen No, he's in it a few times.
In one clip he's singing beside Joss Stone

Joss Stone deserves my undivided attention, especially when someone like that guy from the Darkness is the alternative.

And if he think that's the worst Christmas song ever, he should take a look at his own Christmas song.

I actually liked the original version, the new one doesn't really cut the mustard. Yes I know there's the argument that it's for charity but what's wrong with just giving the money to charity? Sorry but I'm not going to buy a record I don't like.

Regarding Bono vs Justin, I'm pretty sure they tried out different lines on different singers for some of the lines on the original version as well, so what's Justin making a fuss for?

FinanceGuy, that was my argument too. I thought I would just donate to Oxfam instead. But, someone on this forum (sorry I forgot who) pointed out that Bob Geldof has asked people to buy the CD to show the politicans how much the community is concerned about the Africa issue. ie we are being counted.

In the light of that take on the song Im going to buy it as soon as its available here (and promptly shove it under the bed and never listen to it. :| )

Back
Top Bottom