Have you joined the One campaign? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Have you joined the One campaign?

I joined a few months and I'm really surprised how many people ask about the white wristband.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I joined a while back, but just the other day I found someone my age (21) who's honestly never heard of it before. I can understand not caring or not joinging, but to never have heard of it?....was she living under a rock?

Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I joined a while back, but just the other day I found someone my age (21) who's honestly never heard of it before. I can understand not caring or not joinging, but to never have heard of it?....was she living under a rock?
I'm 21 too, and most of the friends I've told about it actually haven't heard of it either. I'm actually surprised that most of the people you talk to HAVE heard of it. That's cool.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Refugee

Re: Have you joined the One campaign?

Quote:
Originally posted by clifedge
I joined a few months and I'm really surprised how many people ask about the white wristband.
I know I joined but I can't remember if I joined before the Vancouver shows(April 28th & 29th) or not. I do remember wanting to get the ONE band before I went to the shows so I think maybe I had joined before the shows but I honestly can't remember. I know I've joined cause I get the e-mails all the time. I hear ya about peope asking what's with the white wrist band all the time. They think they're cool cause they're not Yellow(Live Strong cancer bands). When you explain what they're for they think they're even cooler knowing that there's an actual purpose to wearing them unlike other charity/cause wristbands where the sole purpose seems to be to show you've donated or supported the cause. the ONE bands are our visiual voice saying we want somthing done about the emergency in Africa not just to show we've given money to the cause. I guess that could be the intention of other wristbands as well but not to the same extent in my opinion. Having said that it doesn't make the Live Strong bands or other bands any less important. Just less effective in a sense.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #5
The Fly

Is there a purpose about buying the One wristband ? Sorry to ask, it's the first time I hear about it. Does it give money to a fundation or something ?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 PM
It gives money and it's a good way to spread the word about the organization when people ask what it's for
Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by vervex
Is there a purpose about buying the One wristband ? Sorry to ask, it's the first time I hear about it. Does it give money to a fundation or something ?
From the One.org site:
4. What does the ONE campaign do with the money that is collected from the bands?

- All proceeds from the sale of ONE white bands go to the continued education and awareness building efforts of Americans on ONE campaign issues.

But proceeds are not the point. As u2democrat said, it's to raise awareness.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by clifedge

I'm 21 too, and most of the friends I've told about it actually haven't heard of it either. I'm actually surprised that most of the people you talk to HAVE heard of it. That's cool.
Yeah, it's different here b/c I go to a small, private college, part of a Christian denomination whose relief organization is a partner of the ONE campaign. Everyone here is into, or at least hears about, social justice stuff like ONE and DATA.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:46 PM   #9
The Fly

Thanks Clifedge
Oh, America only ? Just too bad lol.
It's the 3rd time I edit that post, erf lol
Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
It's to raise awarness and build a voice. It's "us" telling the governments of the world it's time to do somthing about what's happening to Africa and that we suport our governments giving money to help save Africa. And not only Africa but extreme poverty everywhere. Yes money from the bands goes to the cause but it's not the main purpose. The purpose is to spread the word and get others on board. People ask what the band is for and there's an actual answer to give. A compelling answer that opesn up conversation and makes people think. that's the difference between the ONE(white) bands and other bands. I don't wnat to come across as if I'm dissing the Live Strong(Yellow) bands because cancer is an extremely important issue and has affeted many lives but for all the times I've asked what those bands are for the best answer I have ever gotten was that "it's for cancer". It's a great cause but those bands are basically a donation, as is purchaseing a ONE band but the intentions of the ONE band are to rasie awareness and raise a voice of "the people" to say "hey government fix this problem, you have our support"

I believe that the ONE band is only in the United States where as everywhere else has makepovertyhistory bands which are also white. My band from Vancouver was a makepovertyhistory abnd and te one from New York was ONE
Old 12-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Yeah, it's different here b/c I go to a small, private college, part of a Christian denomination whose relief organization is a partner of the ONE campaign. Everyone here is into, or at least hears about, social justice stuff like ONE and DATA.
Where do you go to school? I go to a small private school too: Covenant College here in Lookout Mountain, GA.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Thanks Clifedge
Oh, America only ? Just too bad lol.
It's the 3rd time I edit that post, erf lol
Yeah I guess Canadians can join too.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:04 AM
Yes I joined long ago and I have been sporting my One wristband since the tour began.....I've given out about a dozen wristbands too, so I am doing my part to spread the word.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:48 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:04 PM
I joined at the beginning of the summer when my Danish pen pal sent me an e-mail from the ONE campaign and I bought the whiteband outside the Parken Stadium in Copenhagen before U2s concert.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 04:04 PM
i know this is a silly question, but which one does bono wear? the ONE one? or the MPH one?