Haiku Valley Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hug: Mia.

Also, hi! I didn't notice you were around. Though I'd kind of disappeared myself ...

And I just noticed your post was a whole hour ago. Wow, I got distracted that long? And the thread's not advanced? :tsk:

Axver said:
Well, time to now catch up on some of the DI tracklists. Shame nobody who cares is around, or I'd keep a running diary. I'm listening to AtomicBono's right now, which looks pretty good on paper.

I'm around.

:wave:

You've been quiet on the DI front so far...

phanan said:

I'm around.

:wave:

You've been quiet on the DI front so far...

Honestly, I've only listened to two tracklists. Most of my listening time has been taken up by working on essays and shit, and when I do that, I have specific music I listen to - mainly Pure Reason Revolution.

AtomicBono's list is really quite good. Only some of the second part lost me.

unico said:
thanks ax
yeah i'm popping in and out this morning. what've you been up to?

Not much really. Reading railway stuff (and getting totally absorbed in it), listening to DI tracklists, writing an LJ entry because it seems Melburnians and only Melburnians mistake me for being a woman and it's beginning to bug me, etc.

Yourself?

Re: DI, I am disappointed that AtomicBono chose to represent Dredg with a song from what is by far their worst album. Some of this song isn't bad, but the verses do nothing for me and drag, reminding me why I can't stand the album as a whole.

Axver said:

Not much really. Reading railway stuff (and getting totally absorbed in it), listening to DI tracklists, writing an LJ entry because it seems Melburnians and only Melburnians mistake me for being a woman and it's beginning to bug me, etc.

Yourself?

meh...i won't really talk about what's been going on.
but i am enjoying not having to go to that crap job anymore. and the thought of not being employed for the next 5 years is pretty awesome too :D

:lol: Awesome.

I'm rather enjoying being an unemployed/semi-employed-by-the-Royal-Historical-Society student myself.

And this weekend, I have no pressing assignments to attend to, so I'm enjoying kicking back and doing fuck-all of consequence! :up:

Axver said:

Honestly, I've only listened to two tracklists. Most of my listening time has been taken up by working on essays and shit, and when I do that, I have specific music I listen to - mainly Pure Reason Revolution.

AtomicBono's list is really quite good. Only some of the second part lost me.

Yeah, AB's list is much better this time out. I enjoyed quite a bit of it.

phanan said:

Yeah, AB's list is much better this time out. I enjoyed quite a bit of it.

On paper, it looks to me to be one of the best. So far:

1. Screwtape: A/A-
2. AtomicBono: A-
3. PFan: B/B+

Starting BonoIsMyMuse's tracklist now. Don't like this Springsteen song at all.

unico said:
that sounds awesome!!! unfortunately i have an exam to study for, so i can't enjoy the same luxury. but hey i'm still in bed, so that's something :)

Bleh, exams. That's what I like about History at Melbourne University - it has no exams, it emphasises research and analysis. Just the way I like it.

Oh God, just looking at BIMM's list, is it going to take until the ninth track to get to a song I'll enjoy?

phanan said:

Wow, you've got a ways to go...

Yeah, I can't believe I got this far behind. I've downloaded some of the others, though, and plan to listen to as many as possible over the weekend.

:shrug: It just seemed like hoky Americana to me ...

Axver said:
:shrug: It just seemed like hoky Americana to me ...

I'm sure you have some early Kiwi music that would seem hokey to me, too.

That song is one of his oldest, and his sound changed and continued to develop as he went along. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

phanan said:

I'm sure you have some early Kiwi music that would seem hokey to me, too.

That song is one of his oldest, and his sound changed and continued to develop as he went along. I can see how it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Oh, we certainly have our hoky Kiwiana, but I don't go for any of it. New Zealand music took bloody forever to find its feet. Then we had the Dunedin explosion of 1980-1995 and expats like me get to tout it as the "greatest lost music scene ever" or something like that. :wink:

And I hate to say it, but I've simply given up on BIMM's tracklist. As I explain over on the DI thread, the music and my tastes simply do not meet. I cannot even fairly rate the tracklist because this just isn't anything that even interests me. If I were forced to give a letter rating, it would be something like a D, which it doesn't deserve because that would imply it's bad when it's not - all of what I heard flowed and everything seemed to belong together. The music for the most part just lacks appeal for me.

So:

1. Screwtape: A/A-
2. AtomicBono: A-
3. PFan: B/B+
N/A. BonoIsMyMuse: Unrated

phanan said:
I've actually been listening to your playlist this morning, LM, and I must say, you did a very good job.

I anticipate voting for it.

Eventually. :wink:

Believe it or not, I voted for you in each and every match you had last year. :yes: This year, it won't, but your list still looks great.

LemonMelon said:
Awesome, my DI match is today. :hyper: Not expecting votes from Axver or Phanan. :wink:

:lol: When I get up in the morning, I'll give your playlist a spin and do a running diary if you're around.

Hopefully I won't give up on it. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Believe it or not, I voted for you in each and every match you had last year. :yes: This year, it won't, but your list still looks great.

On paper, phanan's looks fucking fantastic. But then, two factors make me very biased in this regard:

1. Piano Lessons is my favourite Porcupine Tree song. Speaking of which, PORCUPINE TREE IN MELBOURNE IN A WEEK FUCK YES.

2. He used Midnight Oil's The Dead Heart. I've been obsessed with that song lately and I nearly forced it into my list. I'm glad I didn't, because it would've made no sense!

Axver said:

:lol: When I get up in the morning, I'll give your playlist a spin and do a running diary if you're around.

Hopefully I won't give up on it. :wink:

Well, I would appreciate it if you didn't. :wink: Hopefully, there will be enough tracks of your taste to keep you hanging around. It's got a pretty large concept that ties it all together too, so maybe that will help.

LemonMelon said:

Well, I would appreciate it if you didn't. :wink: Hopefully, there will be enough tracks of your taste to keep you hanging around. It's got a pretty large concept that ties it all together too, so maybe that will help.

I can already tell you I'm going to skip that Spoon song. It was in the part of BIMM's tracklist that I played. And it reminded me why I think Spoon are a bunch of talentless hacks who probably think they're clever.

You know, now that Pink Floyd Survivor is over, I really wish there were enough interest to do a Porcupine Tree Survivor. I'd enjoy that a whole lot.

phanan said:

I recall you really liking my DI3 entry.

It will be interesting to see how our group turns out.

Group 4 is too strong this year. Personally, I think a couple of us should have been shuffled over to group 3 in exchange for some of the newer players to make things more even. As it is, some great lists are inevitably going to get screwed over because of the static 2-per-division playoff system. :shrug: Group 1 and 2 look fine to me.

LemonMelon said:

Group 4 is too strong this year. Personally, I think a couple of us should have been shuffled over to group 3 in exchange for some of the newer players to make things more even. As it is, some great lists are inevitably going to get screwed over because of the static 2-per-division playoff system. :shrug: Group 1 and 2 look fine to me.

Believe me, I know. I certainly didn't want to be in Group 4.

But I pulled names out of a hat, to eliminate any bias. I thought that was the most fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom