Goin' to Edinburgh! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Goin' to Edinburgh!

To anyone who lives in the area or have traveled there, I'm looking for advice. Besides the obvious touristy things (which I'll be doing of course ), what should we do there for fun? What are some good places to eat at? Etc.

I appreciate any help you can give!

Old 06-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Have a great time no matter what you do, sis!

It's a shame Ewen still isn't hanging around...

Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I'm going in August, prehaps for 6 weeks or prehaps for 6 months....So This thread may come in handy for me also!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I'll be there after Christmas. Not the most ideal time (wish it could be during summer!), but still, it will be great. I'll be spending most of my trip (Dec. 18 - Jan. 9) in England, but I'm sooo looking forward to Edinburgh!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 PM
i went to edinburgh (make sure you pronounce it ed-in-BRUH) a few years ago. we took a ghost tour, which was totally awesome and totally scary! if you're into that kind of thing, definitely do that!
Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Edinburgh Pubs
Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Lucky you, I really, really, wanna go to Edinburgh!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:17 PM
Been to Edinburgh loads of times and it's gorgeous, although personally i think Glasgow's better being from there i'm biased!

I'm going there in the next week for a day out with my friend&the pubs are great. I'd recommend the world's end on the Royal mile(although it's small) and the Kenilworth on Rose street

Also, the zoo's great with an amazing view from the top of the hill&of course the castle has a spectacular view down to the river Forth with the awesome Forth rail bridge

Don't you want to go to Glasgow too Q1?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My friend's there at the minute actually Susan visiting her stepmum. She likes the place and from what I've seen of the place on TV and that it looks quite nice......
Old 06-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

It rocks!

have you any plans on getting to Edinburgh Q1?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
It rocks!

have you any plans on getting to Edinburgh Q1?
Nah, one of my friends is at uni there though so it'd make more sense to go when she's back at uni in September/October time. But knowing me I'll probably never get round to it.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh no it's so great too!

By the way, it just occured to me - you're name shortened to Q1 sounds like a character in a James Bond film
Old 06-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
Oh no it's so great too!

By the way, it just occured to me - you're name shortened to Q1 sounds like a character in a James Bond film
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Have a great time no matter what you do, sis!

It's a shame Ewen still isn't hanging around...
Speak of the 'devil' and he shall appear...mmwwahaha

I got 'directed' here kicking and screaming.

Well, would be nice to meet a U2 fan from abroad and show him/her around the fair city but I don't live there no more...hmm, I live 4,500 miles away now (hmm, how did that happen!? ) in the US of A.

anyways...

Rose Street, parallel to Princes Street, is a definate must for pubs but if you're up for some clubbing then ask a friendly Edinburger the way to The Grassmarket, but stay away from Espionage...it's a cattle mart full of seedy men (some being my friends). You might want to try a classier place such as Stereo (http://www.clubstereo.co.uk/gallery.php) but I may be a little biased since I did build their website.

If you're feeling energetic then take a walk up Arthur's Seat, it's great...I took Pax up it when she first came over. And while you're in that area visit Duddingston Village, behind Arthur's Seat, and pop into the Sheep Heid pub (oldest pub in Scotland)...try the Sheep Heid ale and order their superb Haggis. I love this pub but it's very very popular and therefore can be very very busy! Apparently Bonnie Prince Charlie planned the battle of Prestonpans with his fellow Jacobites in that pub. umm, what? read up on yer British history!

An important note: Smoking is banned in ALL public places in Scotland.

Definately visit the Zoo (think its £10 entrance) and witness the Penguin Parade around 2pm.

The Royal Yacht Britannia is homed in Edinburgh...at the docks of course. This was the Queen's private ship and was was put out of service several years ago.

Another important note: don't pronounce Edinburgh as "Edinborrow", it irks people, it's pronounced "Edin-burra".

Buy yourself a day ticket on the Lothian busses for about £2, I think. Busses are regular to most places around town.

Visit the new Scottish Parliament building, if you're into that kind of stuff...you can go in it. It's located at the bottom of The Royal Mile next to Holyrood Palace (the Queen's Edinburgh home). At the top of The Royal Mile is the famous Castle, home to the Scottish Crown Jewels. Ask the soldier on guard duty his name, if he says "Jason" and "So are you doing anything tonight?" then it's probably my nephew...run far away. In between the castle and the Parliament building are lots of fun things, souvenier shops, churches, museums, pubs (including the World's End).

Yet another important note: umm, us Scots can get very upset when people don't realise that Scottish people are British people too, that Great Britain is not England but Scotland, England and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You probably already know this but just saying...I've been surprised by how many people over here in the US don't know that.

Umm, have I missed anything?

probably.

ohhhh, shite! You said "apart from the obvious touristy things"...oh well, I'm not going back and deleting all that!

Have a great trip!

over and out.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen

Speak of the 'devil' and he shall appear...mmwwahaha

I got 'directed' here kicking and screaming.

Well, would be nice to meet a U2 fan from abroad and show him/her around the fair city but I don't live there no more...hmm, I live 4,500 miles away now (hmm, how did that happen!? ) in the US of A..