Goin' to Edinburgh! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:53 AM

Ewen!! You rock!

Quote:
Originally posted by ewen

Rose Street, parallel to Princes Street, is a definate must for pubs but if you're up for some clubbing then ask a friendly Edinburger the way to The Grassmarket, but stay away from Espionage...it's a cattle mart full of seedy men (some being my friends). You might want to try a classier place such as Stereo (http://www.clubstereo.co.uk/gallery.php) but I may be a little biased since I did build their website.
I've already read up a bit on Rose Street...I'm definately more of a pub person! I'll stay away from the seedy men

Quote:

And while you're in that area visit Duddingston Village, behind Arthur's Seat, and pop into the Sheep Heid pub (oldest pub in Scotland)...try the Sheep Heid ale and order their superb Haggis. I love this pub but it's very very popular and therefore can be very very busy! Apparently Bonnie Prince Charlie planned the battle of Prestonpans with his fellow Jacobites in that pub. umm, what? read up on yer British history!
Great! My boyfriend loves haggis (I had it for the first time this past weekend) so we'll be sure to have it there! And surprisingly, I have been reading up on my British history!

Quote:

Another important note: don't pronounce Edinburgh as "Edinborrow", it irks people, it's pronounced "Edin-burra".
That's how I pronounce it...Edin-burra! Though people here have tried to correct me with Edinborrow when I tell them about getting to go there. Nice to know that I'm right as usual

Quote:

Yet another important note: umm, us Scots can get very upset when people don't realise that Scottish people are British people too, that Great Britain is not England but Scotland, England and Wales. The United Kingdom is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You probably already know this but just saying...I've been surprised by how many people over here in the US don't know that.
Well most people here have their heads in their asses

Quote:

ohhhh, shite! You said "apart from the obvious touristy things"...oh well, I'm not going back and deleting all that!

Well I plan on doing the touristy things too! But I just wanted some more info, and that's what I got. Thank you thank you thank you!!

I wish I could see more of Scotland, but it looks like we'll only get to spend time in this city. At least we get to go, right? I'm stoked. Maybe next time we're in the area we can hit Glasgow and the Highlands!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
I Serve Larry's Stick

I LOVE this city! So beautiful. Ewen, thank you for your recommendations. After climbing the Scott monument, then hiking Arthur's Seat (woo, me buns are sore today!), we found the Sheep Heid and had a wonderful meal of haggis. It was rather quiet, as we got there at 5. Got a bit lost finding it though, as we went in the wrong direction after we finished our hike. It was a wonderful day though, perfect for our hike. Blue skies and sunny

Old 01-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #19
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I'm going in July. Very much looking forward to it.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:53 AM
Cool

I was there just before Xmas&the German markets, lights&the big wheel were all so amazing&beautiful

You didn't go to any of the pubs in Roses street then? I laughed at some of the pub names along threre!!!

Should be back soon too
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:53 AM
My Edinburgh uni friend was down here for Christmas. She reckons Edinburgh is so beautiful and so fantastic and such a perfect city and I've just got to come up and visit her. Now probably would be the best time to go what with her exams being over... ...and our local paper doing a really good deal on cheap rail tickets from York to either London or Edinburgh...though there's a lot of small print to the offer
Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
Local Time: 12:53 AM
omg!!!!!!!!

when i went in the summer it was one of my fave places i went ok you have to go:
on a ghost walk
to Roslyn chapel..it's not that far
shopping on the royal mile
the queens residence
Edinburgh castle
to the pub that opens at 6 am i have a pic of it

i can't remember any more lol
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Big Grin

hearts
Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #24
The Fly

I live just outside of Edinburgh and I just wanna say I'd try to do most things that everyone has suggested. Another place to visit would be the City Chambers on the High Street (Royal Mile) which is where you can go to St. Mary's Close which was closed off hundreds of years ago I haven't personally been but it's supposed to be good! Also Edinburgh Dungeon's is quite fun and scary and another place for shopping is Princes Street, that's the main place for all the shops and if you go to Rose Street which is just behind Princes Street then there's loads of great pubs there! You should also visit Princes Street Gardens they're great to have a picnic or something in as long as it isn't raning! Hope you enjoy yourself when you come! All us Scots are pretty friendly!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

We are friendly yes

I keep meaning to go to the dungeon
Old 01-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #26
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
We are friendly yes

I keep meaning to go to the dungeon

me too i havent been since i was about 8 and i'm 15 now lol
Old 01-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #27
I Serve Larry's Stick

We went to Rosslyn Chapel today - we got there at noon, but it was closed until 2:15 because of a wedding! Had a good time wandering about the grounds and in Roslin Glen - beautiful area! We also wanted to hit the castle today, but the wedding messed up our time. Last night we did a literary pub tour - fabulous! I highly recommend! Info is here

Tonight is our last night
Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Glad you had, or are still having, a great time in Edinburgh, LL!

You ought to head down to Princes Street and give us all a wave! streaming webcam at the bottom of my MySpace page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=99741184

I took Abby to Rosslyn chapel on one of her visits. We kind of overdosed on old churches that week!

love_u2_adam, that has to be the ugliest pub in the whole of Edinburgh! If not Scotland or the UK! Glad you don't work for the Scottish tourist industry! lol.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Heaven In Alberta, Where We Got All Hell For A Basement..
i know but it had bag pipes and it was awesome...and it opend at 5 am!!!! and they let me in

Quote:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~
We went to Rosslyn Chapel today

isn't it gorgeous
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:

love_u2_adam, that has to be the ugliest pub in the whole of Edinburgh! If not Scotland or the UK! Glad you don't work for the Scottish tourist industry! lol.