Geebung, Queensland Superthread - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Honestly, it surprises me just how long U2 wait between releasing an album and going on tour. Other bands I follow don't do that at all. A 4-5 month gap between album and opening night of the tour is honestly a bit ridiculous.
I guess with having families and everything, they figure it is easier to start up after the holiday season.

Although I would suggest doing a very short fall tour once the album comes out, and then resuming the next year. Kind of like a rapid fire tour where they make one stop only at each major city, then start up again in February/March with a longer trek with multi-night stands.

But that would cost more money, so forget that idea.
__________________

__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #212
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsnotmypuppy View Post
The worst thing about this part of Melbourne is the fucking 'Toorak Matrons*' who a-are yet to realise that Surrey Hills is not Toorak and b-that just because they have a 4WD does not give them the right to try to mow me down everytime I cross the street.

We did have a blackout recently that lasted 72 odd hours. I thought of looting but the only store near me is a Red Rooster and a bakery.

* Toorak is the perceived 'Beverly Hills' of Melbourne.
I've only actually been through Toorak once, and very quickly too, but I've heard all about its people. I get the impression it is populated with far too many middle class people who think they are actually upper class and live far, far beyond their means. Those people drove me nuts on the Gold Coast; plenty of their vapid offspring went to high school with me and I'm sure are currently beginning to follow in their parents' footsteps. As for Surrey Hills, I'm not even familiar with it; I'm still learning Melbourne's geography.

I'm over in Brunswick West, which I think is fairly nice, all things considered. Sure, it's not the classiest or richest place, but it's quiet and undergoing gentrification in an unassuming way. Plus I like how ethnically diverse it is. In my own block of flats, there's two Indian couples, a Middle Eastern fellow, this weird Asian lady I don't like, an Aussie teacher, and my Kiwi self.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #213
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Oh, I lived on the western fringe of the Gold Coast for a while, 11/2003 to 02/2006, and bushfires were a constant source of concern. We had two in my time there, one of which came alarmingly close - everybody from three houses up our street onwards were evacuated, but we were allowed to stay. I suffered considerable asthma and had my stuff packed and ready to go, but it was brought under control fairly quickly and I didn't have to leave. Ever since then, I've resolved to only live in relatively inner suburbs as long as I stay in Australia. I'll probably have to if I get a job in academia anyway.

The heatwave was a bit more variable here, some days were closer to 30 than 40, so it was a bit harder to get used to it. And I just hate heat in the first place, it's why I left Queensland, so I was bloody relieved when it finished. At the moment, I'm looking forward to the weather dropping a few more degrees - it was doing nicely a couple of weeks ago, but has unfortunately warmed up a little.
If you're asthmatic, then yeah, that makes it a bigger problem. Were you guys seriously considering leaving earlier due to the fires?

That the heat in other cities did change frequently would have made the effect a bit different, I guess - the upper 30s, low 40s would have been intolerable after a 30 or so. Despite being around 40-44 for so long, I think people began to adapt and settle with it.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #214
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
I guess with having families and everything, they figure it is easier to start up after the holiday season.

Although I would suggest doing a very short fall tour once the album comes out, and then resuming the next year. Kind of like a rapid fire tour where they make one stop only at each major city, then start up again in February/March with a longer trek with multi-night stands.

But that would cost more money, so forget that idea.
I don't see why starting after the holiday season has to equate to starting in late March rather than late January. And it just seems like a really long time to let the album sit with no tour. My suggestion would be not to start in the US at all (gasp, shock, horror!). Say the album comes out in late October. They've got September and October to promote the shit out of it in the Northern Hemisphere in TV appearances and whatnot. Then begin the tour proper in the Southern Hemisphere - they could do Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and possibly South America in November and the first half of December. I don't pick my own region out of bias; I pick it because it can be viably toured in that short space. Then they can spend a couple of months off for the holidays with their families before restarting the tour in North America in late February or March, rock around there for a few months, and then head to Europe for another few months and finish the tour there about a year after it began.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #215
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Got to admit, I tried one of those and I really felt it wasn't much different at all to their standard sub.
I've been to Red Rooster... three times in my life? The first was on a trip to Queensland in 1995 where I guess I had a kid's meal or something, the second was last year when I got a chicken burger with unexpected BBQ sauce, and the third time was a few weeks ago when I went for one of those souvlakis. So I don't know how they compare to their other subs. All I know is that the bread was super crusty and there needed to be MORE TZATZIKI.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #216
Blue Crack Addict
 
phanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: in the darkness on the edge of town
Posts: 25,061
Local Time: 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I don't see why starting after the holiday season has to equate to starting in late March rather than late January. And it just seems like a really long time to let the album sit with no tour. My suggestion would be not to start in the US at all (gasp, shock, horror!). Say the album comes out in late October. They've got September and October to promote the shit out of it in the Northern Hemisphere in TV appearances and whatnot. Then begin the tour proper in the Southern Hemisphere - they could do Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and possibly South America in November and the first half of December. I don't pick my own region out of bias; I pick it because it can be viably toured in that short space. Then they can spend a couple of months off for the holidays with their families before restarting the tour in North America in late February or March, rock around there for a few months, and then head to Europe for another few months and finish the tour there about a year after it began.
A most logical idea.

Too bad it'll never happen.
__________________
phanan is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #217
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
If you're asthmatic, then yeah, that makes it a bigger problem. Were you guys seriously considering leaving earlier due to the fires?

That the heat in other cities did change frequently would have made the effect a bit different, I guess - the upper 30s, low 40s would have been intolerable after a 30 or so. Despite being around 40-44 for so long, I think people began to adapt and settle with it.
No, I was the only one who was overly troubled by it. Neither fire was terribly substantial in the grand scheme of things, plus the more major fire (it severely damaged one house further up and superficially damaged some more) actually occurred when one of my stepbrothers and I were the only ones home - Mum and Alan completely missed out on it. They all still live in the very same place. I left when I began university and haven't looked back.

Melbourne at one point seemed to be going through these cycles of 20, 22, 25, 29, 41, 40, repeat. The heat during March was more consistently high, but still fluctuated in true Melbourne style and the 40 days were hell. I think the worst part was that it barely cooled down at night and trying to sleep in 30+ degrees is horrible.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Hi everyone
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #219
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I've been to Red Rooster... three times in my life? The first was on a trip to Queensland in 1995 where I guess I had a kid's meal or something, the second was last year when I got a chicken burger with unexpected BBQ sauce, and the third time was a few weeks ago when I went for one of those souvlakis. So I don't know how they compare to their other subs. All I know is that the bread was super crusty and there needed to be MORE TZATZIKI.
I'd been to Red Rooster twice in my life before moving to Melbourne. But there's a Red Rooster about an eight minute walk from my place, so I've been a bit more, and Fellow Albino Railfan is a bit fond of it so she's suggested it for lunch during some of our photographic treks. Though we usually end up at Hungry Jack's because it's cheaper than Red Rooster or Subway and better quality than Macca's.

And yes, my assessment of Red Rooster's souvlaki sub is pretty much the same as yours.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #220
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Hi everyone
Morning.

How are you?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Tired! I'm doing a summer internship, and I had to get up at 3:30am to be in by 6am
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #222
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,027
Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Tired! I'm doing a summer internship, and I had to get up at 3:30am to be in by 6am
Holy shit, that's awful! I hope you're doing something good enough to make that worth it, though I struggle to imagine anything that I would find worth it to get up at 3:30am for. I'm barely in bed by then most days ...
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Yeah, its worth it. I got cool people to intern for. But this whole eating lunch at 9am, taking public transit at 4:30am as a female, should screw up my system somehow.
__________________
Pearl is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #224
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 02:48 PM
pearl, are you way out in the burbs or something? that's really early. what's the internship?
__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 02:48 PM
uuuuuuuuh wtf i just lost 3+ posts. i remember a few posts ago i was 11106 cause i was watching to see when i'd hit 11111. now i'm 11103. ????
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com