Gamers Zone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
namkcuR said:
I am hardcore into old-school gaming right now. I really don't have that much desire to go dumping $300 for a PS3 or an XBox/XBox360(hate XBox anyway) or a Wii. I never even purchased a Gamecube or an original XBox. I only just this past January purchased a PS2, and that wasn't retail, it was from a relative. There just aren't enough really great games anymore to warrant spending that kind of money, imo.

It's kind of funny, because I'm the exact opposite, and I've been playing video games since I was seven (started with an Atari 7800...heh).

Anyway, by the time I hit SNES, it was likely for me to go through games in a day, so I'd start holding myself back and that's no fun. I hated N64, because it was nothing but a series of the same searching/shooting games over and over--minus "Zelda: Ocarina of Time," which got ported over to GC (so I didn't have to complain about not having an N64 anymore).

I finally started loving video games again with this console generation. The games are much longer, and I don't have to worry about going through a game in a day. ;)

Melon

It's actually a really good time to get back into gaming. Big things are happening in terms of hardware and software. Lot's of huge titles coming out for newbies and hardcores alike.

catlhere said:
It's actually a really good time to get back into gaming. Big things are happening in terms of hardware and software. Lot's of huge titles coming out for newbies and hardcores alike.

What big things are those?

namkcuR said:

What big things are those?
Well 1.) 2 new consoles, are coming out. Although you said spending $300 is too much, the new Nintendo will be even less than $250, so it's not terribly expensive, and no worse than an iPod or whatever. It has a really intuitive controller, opens up alot of new ways to play. Plus you can play all NES/SNES/N64/Sega/Turbo Grafx games via their download service LEGALLY :wink: but you may not be interested in that lol. Xbox360 has a bright future ahead with its online service and the webcam i posted info on a post or two ago you can do alot of different things with it, and it has some great graphics and games of course. PS3... well that's too expensive so we won't go there.

2.) You seem to enjoy the old-school games you can play on emulators and those are getting new titles for this next-gen. Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Duck Hunt, etc are all coming back in new games, same style of gameplay and fun, just with alot better graphics (and 3d obviously)

3.) handhelds are doing really well. The PSP may be 2nd but it offers alot of different multimedia capabilites like umd movies, web browsing, music playing, plus really nice graphics and a good screen, but its a little pricey. The DS Lite is coming out June 11th, and it already has an incredible library of games.

Mainly it's just a good time to be a gamer because every company seems to be pushing the limit in terms of power or innovation and there are tons of great titles coming out for every current and next-gen system. You just have to look for them.

melon said:

It's kind of funny, because I'm the exact opposite, and I've been playing video games since I was seven (started with an Atari 7800...heh).

Anyway, by the time I hit SNES, it was likely for me to go through games in a day, so I'd start holding myself back and that's no fun. I hated N64, because it was nothing but a series of the same searching/shooting games over and over--minus "Zelda: Ocarina of Time," which got ported over to GC (so I didn't have to complain about not having an N64 anymore).

I finally started loving video games again with this console generation. The games are much longer, and I don't have to worry about going through a game in a day. ;)

Melon

You think there weren't SNES games that took a while to beat?

ActRaiser
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Legend Of Zelda: Link To The Past
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario World(if you were beating all 96 levels)
just to name a few

And then there were games that weren't long but that had monumental replay value...

Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II(the single greatest head-to-head franchise there is)
Super Mario All-Stars(having those things on SNES was awesome)
Gradius III

As for N64...I realize that its catalog of games wasn't that rich overall, but that is forgivin by the fact that a handful of its games are amongst the best ever concieved for any system...

Goldeneye 007 - I still consider this to be the single greatest shoot-em-up ever. Better than any doom, quake, halo, whatever)

Super Mario 64 - If you don't like this game, you don't like video games.

Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time - As far as I'm concerned, the only competition this game has for the title of 'Best Zelda Game' is SNES's Link To The Past.

Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire - I fuckin' love this game. The replay value is amazing, making up for the game's lack of length.

Star Wars: Racer - You might think I'm nuts but this is one of my favorite racing games ever.

catlhere said:

Well 1.) 2 new consoles, are coming out. Although you said spending $300 is too much, the new Nintendo will be even less than $250, so it's not terribly expensive, and no worse than an iPod or whatever. It has a really intuitive controller, opens up alot of new ways to play. Plus you can play all NES/SNES/N64/Sega/Turbo Grafx games via their download service LEGALLY :wink: but you may not be interested in that lol. Xbox360 has a bright future ahead with its online service and the webcam i posted info on a post or two ago you can do alot of different things with it, and it has some great graphics and games of course. PS3... well that's too expensive so we won't go there.

2.) You seem to enjoy the old-school games you can play on emulators and those are getting new titles for this next-gen. Zelda, Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Duck Hunt, etc are all coming back in new games, same style of gameplay and fun, just with alot better graphics (and 3d obviously)

3.) handhelds are doing really well. The PSP may be 2nd but it offers alot of different multimedia capabilites like umd movies, web browsing, music playing, plus really nice graphics and a good screen, but its a little pricey. The DS Lite is coming out June 11th, and it already has an incredible library of games.

Mainly it's just a good time to be a gamer because every company seems to be pushing the limit in terms of power or innovation and there are tons of great titles coming out for every current and next-gen system. You just have to look for them.

Duckhunt? I never thought I'd see the day that a sequel to Duckhunt was made. Althought I always thought that part of its charm was its primitive graphics.

Anyway....I just hate the way consoles are sold these days. "It can play CDs, DVDs, it's backwards compatible with games from our last system, it can connect to the internet, it can play mp3s, [sarcastic]it can make your coffee[/sarcastic], etc"

If I buy a console, I'm not buying it to play CDs or DVDs or games from the last system or to connect to the internet or for any of that jazz. I'm buying it for the games. If you want me to buy your console, sell me your games, not your console. And video game companies just aren't doing that anymore. I want games to capture my imagination. I won't even mention XBox because I despise it. PS2 is a good system and there are some good games for it, but after the PS1 I expected more out of the GAMES. I will admit that I've never played Final Fantasy X or X-2. But I have friends that have and they've all said that they're a big step down for the FF series. GTA games are fun for a few hours, then they get boring. The Sims is an ingenius idea but it gets VERY repetitive. I'm sure there are good games for the PS2 that I just haven't played, but like I said, my imagination wasn't captured. As for the Gamecube....this was the first console generation ever for me where I've never played the newest Mario and Zelda games. On one hand, that kind of hurts, but on the other hand, I was surprised by how much I kind of...didn't care.

This is the debate I have with myself. First, I say that the games today, even the Mario and Zelda games, don't grab my imagination like the games of yesteryear did. Then, I say, wait a minute, maybe it was just easier for games to grab my imagination when I was 13 then it is now that I'm 21. I mean, I know for a fact that one of the reasons emulation appeals to me so much is that it is a MONUMENTAL nostalgia trip for me. When I play Sonic 1 or Castle Of Illusion or Super Mario World or Street Fighter II or Link To The Past or Final Fantasy II, or whatever, I'm back in 1992. When I play Mario 64 or Ocarina Of Time or Goldeneye or Final Fantasy VII or whatever, I'm back in 1997. This is not to say that the games themselves aren't actually that incredible...they were fucking life-changing, that's what they were. So I don't know...were the games really so much better, or am I just romanticizing the past?

Last edited:
^for a start the Wii will be a games only system...Nintendo aren't really interested in creating a 'multimedia station' as Microsoft or Sony are.

I think you need to look beyond the big releases for the consoles, and look for many of the low profile ones....the gaming industry is bigger than ever and growing, and in my opinion there are far more good games than there were back in the early 90s.

There are many overlooked great games at the moment. The ZOE series by Hideo Kojima are 2 of my favourite games ever...plus the anime tie in was great:wink:....the first Prince of Persia on PS2 is such a great game, it feels old school but has a very modern flow to it and great graphics. Shadow of Memories is one of my favourite adventure games....it has a great story...Katamari Damacy needs to be seen to be believed...

The likes of Smash Bros or Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe are all great for the GC...

Oooh the Armoured Core series is divine:drool:

Just look around a bit more and you should see some really excellent titles..

This reminds me I need to find ICO hmm

News:

*SEGA reveales the price point for their upcoming next-gen games. Perhaps a clue as to what 3rd party games will be costing us
http://www.gamefront.de

Noteworthy points

- Sonic The Hedgehog (PS3): Euro 67.99
- World Snooker Championship 2007 (PS3): Euro 73.99
- Sonic wildly Fire (Wii): Euro 59.99
- Super Monkey ball: Banana flash (Wii): Euro 59.99

67.99 Euros = $87.44
73.99 Euros = $95.15
59.99 Euros = $77.14

If we go by history, this shows us that 3rd party PS3 games will likely retail for $69.99USD while 3rd party Wii games will retail for $49.99USD. However if you go by straight conversion from Euro to GBP it comes out to the typical price of a 360 game which may mean PS3 games could cost a little less at $59.99USD

Media Create software sales for this week of May:

1.) (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 899,518*
2.) (DS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 86,451 / 2,367,429
3.) (DS, Nintendo) Brain Age - 62,616 / 2,282,759
4.) (PSP, Square Enix) Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable - 48,342
5.) (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS - 46,809 / 545,666
6.) (PS2, Enterbrain) Kimikiss - 42,127
7.) (PS2, Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 - 38,419 / 694,927
8.) (DS, Nintendo) English Training DS - 37,222 / 1,092,496
9.) (DS, Nintendo) Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 36,610 / 2,746,097
10.) (PS2, Konami) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Major League - 32,742 / 155,557

*You will say "Wow!" - Satoru Iwata
100K from a million sold

News:

*E3 game critic awards are handed out. Here's how it all went down
http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/win.html

Best of Show
-Wii
(Nintendo)

Best Original Game
-Spore
(Maxis/Electronic Arts for PC)

Best Hardware/Peripheral
-Wii
(Nintendo)

Best Console Game
-Gears of War
(Epic Games / Microsoft Games Studio for Xbox 360)

Best PC Game
-Spore

Best Handheld Game
-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
(Nintendo for Nintendo DS)

Best Action Game
-Gears of War
(Epic Games / Microsoft Games Studio for Xbox 360)

Best Action/Adventure Game
-Assassin's Creed
(Ubisoft Montreal / UbiSoft for PlayStation 3)

Best Role Playing Game
-Mass Effect
(Bioware / Microsoft Games Studio for Xbox 360)

Best Racing Game
-Excite Truck
(Monster Games / Nintendo for Wii)

Best Simulation Game
-Spore

Best Sports Game
-Wii Sports
(Nintendo for Wii)

Best Fighting Game
-Heavenly Sword
(Ninja Theory / Sony for PlayStation 3)

Best Strategy Game
-Supreme Commander
(Gas Powered Games/THQ for PC)

Best Puzzle/Trivia/Parlor Game
-Guitar Hero 2
(Harmonix / Red Octane for PlayStation 2)

Best Online Multiplayer
-Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
(Splash Damage/id/Activision for PC)

Totals:
Sony- 3
PC- 5
Nintendo- 5
Microsoft- 3

News:

*Media Create hardware sales for this week of May. Once again Japanese link ugh :mad:
http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 285,025
2.) PSP - 27,227
3.) PS2 - 19,798
4.) GBA SP - 6,652
5.) Nintendo DS - 4,126
6.) Gameboy Micro - 2,013
7.) Xbox 360 - 1,242
8.) Gamecube - 1,116
9.) GBA - 44
10.) Xbox - 8

Looks like New Super Mario Bros. really helped boost the sales of DS Lite once again. :up:

Well, I should have mentioned this before, but, in case anyone didn't know, those Media Create stats are the reflection of the Japanese market only. Where that becomes relevant is that Japan *hates* the XBox/XBox 360. Not only do they have no Japanese-style RPGs, but the original XBox had a reputation in Japan for being of poor quality.

I would be curious what the global sales stats are, particularly in terms of where XBox 360 fits into everything.

Melon

^I try and find every top 10 list I can. It's hard for some reason to find the hardware/software sales for US. I can never seem to find console sales for the US, but games are a little easier. Most of the time I think the Japan numbers come out weekly where the US ones are monthly. Also the NDP which is the US equivalent goes on dollars, not units sold, which is why I find it a little less reliable in terms of sales. But then again, that's just my opinion, so I'll find some and post them.

Here is the US game list for the most recent week of May (i believe these are units sold):

1.) New Super Mario Bros.
Publisher: Nintendo Developer: Nintendo
Platform: DS Category: Platformers
Release Date: May 15, 2006

2.) Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
Publisher: Nintendo | Platform: GC | Category: Rhythm Games release:
Oct 24, 2005

3.) Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Publisher: Ubisoft | Platform: X360 | Category: Tactical Shooters release:
Mar 9, 2006

4.) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day
Publisher: Nintendo | Platform: DS | Category: Miscellaneous release:
Apr 17, 2006

5.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Publisher: 2K Games | Platform: X360 | Category: Role-Playing release:
Mar 20, 2006

6.) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Collector's Edition
Publisher: 2K Games | Platform: X360 | Category: Role-Playing release:
Mar 20, 2006

7.) Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis
Publisher: Rockstar Games | Platform: X360 | Category: Other Sports Games release:
May 22, 2006

8.) Madden NFL 06
Publisher: EA Sports | Platform: X360 | Category: Football release:
Nov 16, 2005

9.) Call of Duty 2
Publisher: Activision | Platform: X360 | Category: First-Person Shooters release:
Nov 17, 2005

10.) Kingdom Hearts II
Publisher: Square Enix | Platform: PS2 | Category: Role-Playing release:
Mar 28, 2006

Here is the NDP North American April sales (based on dollars, not units):

1.) Xbox 360 295,381
2.) PlayStation 2 206,995
3.) Game Boy Advance 169,115
4.) PlayStation Portable 162,438
5.) Nintendo DS 138,420
6.) GameCube 38,028
7.) Xbox 38,987

^(these are units, i believe, might be dollar sales only again though.)

1.) PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS II Square Enix
2.) 360 T. CLANCYS GHOST RECON: ADVANCED WARFIGHTER Ubi Soft
3.) 360 ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION Take 2 Interactive
4.) 360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K6 Take 2 Interactive
5.) 360 BATTLEFIELD 2: MODERN COMBAT Electronic Arts
6.) 360 TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND Eidos
7.) PS2 THE GODFATHER: THE GAME Electronic Arts
8.) PS2 MLB '06: THE SHOW Sony
9.) PS2 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K6 Take 2 Interactive
10.) PS2 TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND Eidos

^No, I do however have HM:AWL. It is very addicting but it couldn't keep my attention once I bought Animal Crossing. Then Nintendogs took up all my time. Now it's Wifi Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. minigames. :lmao: Nintendo sure makes games that take constant work.

I'm pretty sure HM:MM is great, it's gotten some pretty decent reviews and is around the 83% range overall. Could be a good pick-up if one is a fan of the Harvest Moon style of gameplay.

^Well you could always splurge and get a DS Lite bundle with Animal Crossing on June11th. I heard the DS version was pretty good, plus you can go online with other people. But obviously it would mean you have to buy a DS, or a wireless usb thing if you don't have one or the other.

News:

*Don't worry 360 owners. Backwards compatibility isn't dead yet. More titles on the way in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/03/360-bc-update-in-the-next-few-weeks/

Does anyone else think the Wii controller looks very hard to use? (Sorry if this has been commented on before, I've not been into this thread for a while)

TheQuiet1 said:
Does anyone else think the Wii controller looks very hard to use? (Sorry if this has been commented on before, I've not been into this thread for a while)

From what i've read, people were expecting it to be quite tricky to use, but they ended finding most of the motion needed to do stuff with it came very naturally to them.

I'm sure it will take some time getting use to it though.

^You're correct. Most felt awkward in the first couple of minutes, but once they got the idea of how the controller worked and what movements and buttons to perform, it was easy to use. "Intuitive" is the word they all seem to be using.

News:

*PS3 being bundled with PS2 hardware for backwards compatability? Will this affect price?
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711242p1.html

*First few signs of Wii/DS connectivity showing up. Games and demos to be sent to your system to be downloaded at your wish, even overnight!
http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711265p1.html

*For anyone needing a silly prediction for this years Fifa World Cup, EA has already picked the winner with their virtual tournament, see who prevailed
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152292.html

*Bungie making a Halo 3 Trailer documentary to show different angles, Why? It's the Vertigo Tour surveillance cuts in video game form!
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152294.html

*Some more Super Smash Bros. Brawl details straight from the creator. Some Melee characters being removed, only a few more characters being added, and easier gameplay, according to this translation
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/05/sakurai-reveals-new-smash-bros-brawl-details/

UK sales charts for the week of May 28, 2006:

1.) Hitman: Blood Money
Publisher: Eidos Interactive Developer: Io Interactive
Platform: X360 Category: Adventure Games
Release Date: May 30, 2006

2.) 2006 FIFA World Cup
Publisher: Electronic Arts | Platform: PS2 | Category: Soccer release:
Apr 24, 2006

3.) Tomb Raider: Legend
Publisher: Eidos Interactive | Platform: X360 | Category: Action Adventure release:
Apr 11, 2006

4.) Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Publisher: Konami | Platform: PS2 | Category: Soccer release:
Oct 21, 2005

5.) X-Men: The Official Game
Publisher: Activision | Platform: PS2 | Category: Action Adventure release:
May 16, 2006

6.) Animal Crossing: Wild World
Publisher: Nintendo | Platform: DS | Category: Virtual Life Games release:
Dec 5, 2005

7.) The Sims 2
Publisher: EA Games | Platform: PC | Category: Virtual Life Games release:
Sep 14, 2004

8.) Half-Life 2: Episode One
Publisher: EA Games | Platform: PC | Category: First-Person Shooters release:
Jun 1, 2006

9.) Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis
Publisher: Rockstar Games | Platform: X360 | Category: Other Sports Games release:
May 22, 2006

10.) Championship Manager 2006
Publisher: Eidos Interactive | Platform: PC | Category: Soccer release:
Mar 31, 2006

What's this new Super Mario Bros. game on the DS like? Is it just the same levels from the original SMB in 3D or are the levels different too?

^New Super Mario Bros. is a completely new Mario platformer. It is a side-scroller ala SMB1-SMW, but includes 3D-ish graphics and a SMB3 style overworld map plus a couple SM64 moves. All new levels, worlds, items, moves, and minigames. Everyone seems to be singing it's praises. I have it, and it's probably the 2nd best platformer I've played that I can think of next to SMB3. Check out a few gameplay movies if you're interested.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/682/682879/vids_1.html

News:

*Silly video of what would happen if WWF met the Super Smash Bros. Brawl trailer. Very funny and very FREAKY!
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/06/wwe-fused-with-super-smash-bros-it-aint-pretty/

*A recent patent that Nintendo has had in the works for some time now hints at Wii including instant messanger capabilities? What can Wii NOT do?
http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=800

*FFXIII looks to match Advent Children's CGI scenes in-game. Creators hope to push real-time battle graphics to movie-like quality with the next enstallment.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/711/711488p1.html

*SEGA's Japanese fighter Bleach headed to the Wii. The game has become a cult classic of sorts so many fanboys of the franchise will be happy
http://wii.ign.com/articles/711/711577p1.html

*As promised, Bungie has put up their "documentary" on the Halo 3 trailer. Anyone interested in the game, take a look at the new stuff
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6152397.html

News:

*New info on the upcoming Smash Bros. title. 3 new characters possibly confirmed while 3 are getting the boot, in a list that will end at roughly 40 combatants. Read to hear the RUMORS
http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=809

If these reports are true (which may not be the case) this brings the current Super Smash Bros. Brawl roster to:

-Pikachu (Pokemon)
-Kirby (Kirby)
-Meta Knight (Kirby)
-Pit (Kid Icarus)
-Samus (Metroid)
-Zero Suit Samus (Metroid: Zero Mission)
-Ridley (Metroid)
-Wario (Varios titles)
-Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)
-Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
-Luigi (Super Mario Bros.)
-Bowser (Super Mario Bros.)
-Bowser Jr. (Super Mario Bros.)
-Link (The Legend Of Zelda)
-Cel-shaded Link (The Legend Of Zelda)

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on PC

Awesome game, the atmosphere is great and the faithfullness to the source material is enjoyable, the save system and graphics are a bit dissapointing but the atmosphere, sound and story more than make up for it. Best game I played since Deus Ex in terms of immersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom