Fukuoka, Japan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess a lot of things seem easy to the person who comes up with it. I dunno if any musician has ever gone "Well, I really like this part I came up with, but I can't record that, it's too easy!" ... Where would U2 and Joy Division and The Cure and their simplistic songs be with that logic?

I bet Dream Theater have. "That's too easy ... better insert twenty more notes into each second."

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Unlikely I'll ever be good enough to play in a band, let alone know other people who want to form one. I find it hard to just stuff around for no reason; I need a purpose, an end goal.

I didn't mean to imply all their songs are simplistic... I hardly know any Cure or Joy Division. Just following on from what Ax said about some of their most simplistic songs.

The thing is, the less theory the musician knows, the more they are forced to rely on melody to create compelling music.

That's not neccesarily bad.

I disagree. There are some very complex songs I've learnt recently that are so much fun to play in their standard forms.

Admittedly, improv is a LOT of fun.

Again, not implying there is no value in playing other people's songs... I'd be screwed if I believed that :wink: Just saying maybe someone's whole aim shouldn't be only to play tabs. :shrug: As someone who can't make up music, I value that ability highly in others.

I bet Dream Theater have. "That's too easy ... better insert twenty more notes into each second."

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't bother. Unlikely I'll ever be good enough to play in a band, let alone know other people who want to form one. I find it hard to just stuff around for no reason; I need a purpose, an end goal.

Recording needn't be your ultimate end-goal. If you enjoy making stuff up, go for it.

I don't know why I ever thought I'd have a chance of fitting in at university.

I'm pretty sure I was one of the only students in Halls, if not the whole campus, who never once got drunk or laid or high while I was at Uni. The only times I stayed up till dawn was playing computer games.

Well. It could be the input socket's fucked, could be fret buzz, could be a shitty axe, could be a lot of things. If I had a screwdriver and the guitar here I'd be able to diagnose it within like, five minutes. But I can't.

I'll play it later, people are sleeping in the living room due to the stifling heat.

I've suspected for a while that the input might be fucked. Guess I'll have to take it to be checked. I just hope it's something repairable, because I'm not sure I want to buy a new guitar, especially not after splurging on a camera.

Still melting in the heat there, eh?

The thing is, the less theory the musician knows, the more they are forced to rely on melody to create compelling music.

That's not neccesarily bad.

In my case, I've forgotten just about all the theory I ever knew, so I'm probably violating numerous rules.

I've suspected for a while that the input might be fucked. Guess I'll have to take it to be checked. I just hope it's something repairable, because I'm not sure I want to buy a new guitar, especially not after splurging on a camera.

Still melting in the heat there, eh?

Might cost you $20 to get fixed? :shrug:

Yeah, it's still like 28.

No plans here.

And boo on the boring trains. :tsk:

*has been wrestling with brown paper packages tied up with... masking tape*

Cool. Usual time then?

This is also probably good because it'll avoid me staying up until 5am and bothering Ashley on IM as I come up with bullshit music and lyrics.

I'm failing to see the problem, unless you're looking to write something like Junta-era Phish, DT or King Crimson.

Yeah, I'm thinking much more along the lines of ... not necessarily post-punk, but something bearing similarities to that.

I'd love to come up with some atmospheric, ethereal stuff like SOYCD or The Sky Moves Sideways, though.

Oh, I didn't realise GG2 had posted! :reject:

:wave:

I'm pretty sure I was one of the only students in Halls, if not the whole campus, who never once got drunk or laid or high while I was at Uni. The only times I stayed up till dawn was playing computer games.

I can't believe you lived on campus, heh. I originally applied to live at one of UQ's halls of residence, but wimped out and got my own place because I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it there. Not just the small room and lack of privacy, but the simple fact that there's no way I'd fit into the culture. Sure, I may get drunk occasionally, but it's funny, I'm more comfortable getting drunk watching the rugby alone than in social situations - when I'm with people, I'd rather not get beyond tipsy as I'm focusing on talking to them.

Gilmour and Wilson didn't use music theory either.

Oh, I know. I just don't know if I could come up with anything like their sprawling atmospheric compositions. Doesn't help I have no effects or anything.

Might cost you $20 to get fixed? :shrug:

Yeah, it's still like 28.

Ah, well, that's fine then. I would like a new guitar in all honesty, but with my photographic hobby taking off, I've enough expenses coming up as it is!

Yikes. It's been consistently 17-19 here today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom