Fucking, Austria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

what baseball thing? hmmm

are you a star wars fan? i hear the exhibit at the franklin institute is great.

the very franklin institute whose imax was supposed to be playing u23d but isn't. :mad:

I actually don't know. I'll report back.

I've never seen a Star Wars film.

I still haven't seen U23D in KOP cause my parents refuse to let me drive there. I might not see it at all.

phillyfan26 said:

In all of my writing, I focus on the people aspect. Screwtape can attest to my songwriting, it's very personal. I write about people. I hate nature, so I skip scenery for the most part.

I write about people too. Relationships, to be precise. Though I'm pushing out from just relationships into long term character transformation. Landscape? huh? who wants to read about that? Beyond setting a scene accurately.

Screwtape2 said:

They have portable keyboards. They went out of fashion in the 80's but that's beside the point. :wink:

What, accordians?

That's it, remind me to tell Bono he needs to learn how to play the accordian.

Varitek said:

I write about people too. Relationships, to be precise. Though I'm pushing out from just relationships into long term character transformation. Landscape? huh? who wants to read about that? Beyond setting a scene accurately.

Landscapes should be in sound, i.e. UF. The words need to be about people, IMO. Hence, why I enjoy Bono's lyrics.

So, next thread, Wittenoom or Centralia? Somebody else make it anyway. I'm far enough behind on this one as it is!

major_panic said:
Okay. Let's all post snippets of our writing, just for the hell of it!

I would love to, but the only things I really have here are written parodies of certain family members and friends. Kind of in-jokey with the other more humourous and smug members of my family.

But I'll write something!

corianderstem said:

Dude, you're going DOWN!!!!! :wink:

I kid. I know it's not for everyone, and it's hard not to get defensive about it, because it IS kind of embarrassing to admit your hobby to someone who doesn't feel the same way about it as you do.

But I don't care. :wink:

Try admitting to being a plane nerd in front of an entire class of comparatively cool people

Varitek said:

Oh come on. I want to be engrossed in where the story is set. I don't just want "bla bla is a rural town". Describe the thing.

Axver said:
So, next thread, Wittenoom or Centralia? Somebody else make it anyway. I'm far enough behind on this one as it is!

Centralia, dude. That is the real UF right there.

Though Wittenoom is pretty awesome. That can go sometime after.

phillyfan26 said:

I actually don't know. I'll report back.

I've never seen a Star Wars film.

I still haven't seen U23D in KOP cause my parents refuse to let me drive there. I might not see it at all.

tragedy. I still wanna see it a 2nd time. I'm thinking about the 2-bus, 1:25 minute each way trip to get back to KOP. We should see it together if you can get there on the bus or something! Or, I can sign up for philly car share and get the car some time, and pick you up, but you'd have to split the car rental with me.

I don't think I've written anything I'd be willing to share with anyone yet.

I've been working on a novel for over a year. I just want to finish it - I might go back and edit it in the future, but for now I just want the feeling of accomplishment, to have a complete first draft.

phillyfan26 said:

Landscapes should be in sound, i.e. UF. The words need to be about people, IMO. Hence, why I enjoy Bono's lyrics.

You can create some great landscapes that are characters if you know how to. I myself prefer to write scenes that evoke images in people's minds. A for Creative Writing tonight was about a weekend between two lovers.

Just for fun: Something I wrote a few years back, part of a greater essay that was supposed to be entirely descriptive.

The point of the spear flashed brilliantly in the sunlight, as its wielder wove it through a deadly dance. Ducking, weaving and twisting through a series of fluid, graceful movements, the performer handled the spear as if it were but an extension of his own body, whipping it around seemingly effortlessly. The spear finally ceased its deadly yet beautiful dance, and the performer left the stage to a thunderous ovation from the audience.

Axver said:

Oh come on. I want to be engrossed in where the story is set. I don't just want "bla bla is a rural town". Describe the thing.

I spend a bit of time on it. I'm in a forest, I mention what makes that forest different from others or what's notable, and I move on.

Varitek said:

I agree. I mean, don't propose yet, but you should spend some more time with this girl!

:lol: I fully intend to, but that's because, unlike what some of you are thinking, I'm thinking "cool, somebody else who cares about trains so that I'm not a nerdy loner!"

Axver said:

At the end of AIWIY, he's singing seemingly random shit, but at a couple of points, I can clearly hear "sweetest", and I'm pretty sure the next word is "thing". I think one part is "honey, sweet, love's the sweetest thing". The enunciation is just shot. I have no idea if that's a snippet or not.

If anybody else has 25/11/89 Tokyo, play AIWIY. It's a great performance anyway, complete with Sexual Healing for the girls. Tell me what you think. I'm struggling around 5:16-30.

i would if MY FUCKING ITUNES WOULD OPEN *#$%@#$&*

Axver said:

I give those details, I just do them as needed, mixed in with the rest. and I loahte the overuse of adjectives. don't even get me started on adverbs.

Axver said:

:lol: I fully intend to, but that's because, unlike what some of you are thinking, I'm thinking "cool, somebody else who cares about trains so that I'm not a nerdy loner!"

We're all just looking at it from the purity test angle.

Seeya later, Cori! :wave:

Maj, that's pretty good, I like the conclusion but I feel there could have been more interesting ways to describe the actions. Maybe it's just because I've read too many stories that have a sort of similar theme. It was still effective, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom